[video] Scenes around Kings Cross and beyond

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
This popped up in my Facebag timeline today. It's black and white film of the 1950s. There's road traffic, Moorgate, the Widened Lines and stuff around Kings Cross.

Of note there's some interesting shots of Kings Cross Goods, with wagons being capstan shunted.

It always amazes me how fast road traffic was back in the day. There's a lovely shot over the Kings X goods yard with a Scammell mechanical horse in the distance belting along at what must be over 40mph!

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Heather, an absolute delight!

Never mind the speed of the Scammell ( the second one, the first is somewhat slower), where are all the people?

Best
Simon

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I suspect most of the street scenes were shot on a Saturday or Sunday and/or early morning when it would have been quieter. The shadows of the wall and road vehicles at 09:57 would imply this part of the film was shot in the early morning.

The film is full of interesting details of a London that no longer exists - the Art Deco style detached house at 02:55 to 03:01.

Toffee

All rather amazing, didn't know that Brits worked out of the Cross and what was that raft of wagons doing being propelled back into the platform at KX right at the end ? All Deltics and Brush 2's which I find slightly surprising, no D53xx, no baby Deltics and no D 61xx (not a surprise eh ?). I could watch that all day long, thanks.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Wonderful video - thank you!

I worked for a company based in Kings Cross Goods Yard for a few years, and there was still a reasonable amount to be seen in terms of track and capstans, although all the stuff actually within the buildings had been concreted over. However, a few years ago the whole place was completely redeveloped, and is now largely a college, having lost its artefacts and character. The shot of the Austin lorry under the roof was where I used to work.

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
This popped up in my Facebag timeline today. It's black and white film of the 1950s. There's road traffic, Moorgate, the Widened Lines and stuff around Kings Cross.

Of note there's some interesting shots of Kings Cross Goods, with wagons being capstan shunted.

It always amazes me how fast road traffic was back in the day. There's a lovely shot over the Kings X goods yard with a Scammell mechanical horse in the distance belting along at what must be over 40mph!

I had forgotten about the (almost) total absence of road markings... I suppose traffic was faster because there was less of it. Nowadays average speeds in central London are roughly what they were in late Victorian times.

Alan

Western Thunderer
Excellent and frighteningly I could name most of the theme tunes. Mine you it does remind us of how smokey and grimey times were in those days near large stations.