W.S.Norris signalbox

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Anyone who's been around for a while will be aware of the forward looking finescale layout that the late W.S.Norris built in the 50s/60s. Awe inspiring photos in the RM brought it to a wider audience including me, they still inspire something 60 odd years on, envy probably.
I have this signalbox that was left to me and I am in a quandry as to what to do with it, or more precisely who I give it to for long term conservation and display. It is far too important to possibly disappear forever in the event of my untimely demise. I would welcome thoughts and ideas on this matter.
Regards
Martin
IMG_0844.JPG

adrian

Flying Squad
A fascinating model - steeped in its own history.

My initial thoughts were perhaps contact Pendon Museum, it wouldn't be out of place in the Madder Valley exhibition area. Or maybe National Railway museum for display in the 7mm layout area.

Tappa

Western Thunderer
If you decide on the NRM as a possible location, a friend of mine volunteers in the model section and he would be able to advise you.

AJC

Western Thunderer
A fascinating model - steeped in its own history.

My initial thoughts were perhaps contact Pendon Museum, it wouldn't be out of place in the Madder Valley exhibition area. Or maybe National Railway museum for display in the 7mm layout area.

I would be more inclined towards Pendon where the context of the model would seem more likely to be appreciated, particularly since it's a structure model. For various reasons, I'm not sure that the NRM is the best home for models, and particularly for full appreciation of their significance within the hobby. Not the NRM's fault, I hasten to add (and I'm saying this as someone who knows their head of research), but there's such a range of stuff that they end up with, much of it unsolicited, from locos to barely catalogued photographic collections, that it would get lost amongst it all (though they may well have other Norris-related stuff).

Adam

Last edited:

adrian

Flying Squad
I would be more inclined towards Pendon where the context of the model would seem more likely to be appreciated, particularl since it's a structure model.
That was one of the reasons I mentioned Pendon first - before NRM. As you say I think it would be appreciated more being complementary to John Ahern's work.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
I believe Neil Corner has some section of Norris's layout and would look after it. You might also find out what plans he has when he too shuffles off this mortal coil.

Mike

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
What happened to the museum of model railways proposed for Ashford? I'm not suggesting that this item is in any way suitable, (in fact I think that Pendon, if they'll have it, is an inspired choice) but I've heard nothing about it for ages. Has it fallen by the wayside? In truth I always thought Ashford was filling a need which doesn't exist, or at he very least would be swamped by layouts, buildings and rolling stock that they'd find difficult to control. We have a few reference points (Pendon, HMRS to name but two) for model railways, and is that not enough?

Brian

adrian

Flying Squad
We have a few reference points (Pendon, HMRS to name but two) for model railways, and is that not enough?
The only other one I can think of as a potential home is the Derby Silk Mill layout. I know it's going through a refurbishment at the moment but I presume the layout will be re-instated once the dust has settled (literally!).

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the thoughts, it makes for interesting reading. Unsurprisingly I also posted the OP on the Gauge O Guild forum to see what the thinking there might be. It will come as no surprise that Adrian's suggestion of Pendon figures highly there as well, another possibility is the MRC in London where Norris was a member, although I would prefer Pendon where it may be seen in public. Ultimately its long term care and survival is the most important bit with viewability highly second placed.

For this reason I have discounted the NRM, despite it being a national museum it is chronically underfunded and they can't cope with what they have already, personally I think they have lost the plot, housing a Chinese engine and giving away the T3 is just plain wrong. I'll make some enquiries.

I had a look at the Ashford website, it doesn't inspire.
Regards
Martin

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
The MRC has a showcase where Club-related models are displayed on a rotation. We really do take care of our heritage and have some fascinating models, but not sure how the SB would fit.

Tim

ianlbsc

Western Thunderer
I believe the Historical Model Railway Society also has a display open to the public on the ground floor of the Museum and Study Centre. I would think they should be worth considering also?
Cheers Ian

Reactions: AJC

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Agreed Ian, as mine of yesterday evening suggested - "We have a few reference points (Pendon, HMRS to name but two) for model railways, and is that not enough?". Pendon would be my favourite as they have already provided a safe place for the John & Jerry models and it would fit nicely with this and the Madder Valley.

I'm very certain in my own mind that we should write off the Ashford International Model Railway Education Centre when its headline on line reads "Pop in to the Ashford International Model Railway Education Centre's (AIMREC) marketing suite and see the six huge model railway sets which have been laid out." MODEL RAILWAY SETS!!!!!!??

Brian

adrian

Flying Squad
Pendon would be my favourite as they have already provided a safe place for the John & Jerry models
:) I didn't realise that Pendon had them - even more reason to visit then. I remember seeing their models at an Alexander Palace show many years ago ( 1988 ish ) absolutely stunning.

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Thanks for that Brian, that they have something else not directly connected with the original Pendon ethos suggests they might be amenable to the signalbox. I will pursue this as the best option at the moment.
regards
Martin