Wantage Tramway No.5

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Agree with Ade.
What a simply wonderful model!
I sometimes despair at my 4mm version....

Peter
Hi Peter

I had a bit of a 'despair' moment earlier this year when I realised the crosshead slidebars are not exacted aligned correctly. :( Unfortunately the whole assembly is firmly soldered in place (next time use nuts and bolts), and unsoldering it was not an option. I got a bit down about it and walked away from it for a few months.

The thing is though is that whilst I'll never be a top modeller I still enjoy what I do. I suspect you do as well, otherwise you wouldn't be making your own 4mm version. :) So stick with it but maybe if it's getting to you a bit then have a back-up project. Mine was the Terrier-based crane locomotive which I've posted build details elsewhere on WT.

All the best

Mike

A

Arun

Can I ask where you got the buffer housings from? They look very much like the GCR Sacre ones I need for a 7mm scratch-built 12AT.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Can I ask where you got the buffer housings from? They look very much like the GCR Sacre ones I need for a 7mm scratch-built 12AT.

I bought them almost 20 years ago (I think). I'm fairly certain they're Slaters' GWR, but other than that I'm struggling to recall more info. Sorry.

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I've painted the chassis and fitted the motor and gearbox. However, I'm not entirely happy with the running of the gearbox, so will come back to that in due course once a different replacement gearbox arrives in the post. In the meantime I've turned my attention to the cab-stay that runs from the front of the cab to the base of the safety valve and the safety valve itself. Nothing sophisticated: just bits of telescopic tubing and a few 4mm/ft crankpin parts. The cab-stay and safety valve are removable to aid painting. 20201208_153223.jpg
20201208_153242.jpg
20201208_153320.jpg
20201208_154223.jpg
20201208_155942.jpg
20201208_162621.jpg
Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I previously mentioned I wasn't happy with the gearbox I was using. Maybe I'm just unlucky but I never seem to have much luck with gearboxes and this one was no exception. :( Anyway, I decided to try a High Level gearbox. To be honest it was make or break. If this didn't work I was going to throw in the towel.

I needn't have worried! It arrived today and assembly was a breeze. Fitted it and No.5 trundled up and down my layout without a care in the world. :) If I can figure out how to post a video I'll do so. I'm the meantime here's a few pictures of the High Level gearbox. 20201215_150325.jpg
20201215_165945.jpg
20201215_172952.jpg
20201215_173003.jpg

Much happier now! :D

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Quick question: Does anybody have info/pictures of the roof on No.5? I'm looking to attach the whistle and logic would dictate that it's aligned centrally. However, in some pictures it looks as though it's offset to the left. Apparently there's also a hatch of some sort. Any info would be gratefully received. :)

Cheers, Mike.