Warco MINI FORMIT - 3 IN 1 UNIVERSAL SHEET METAL MACHINE

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
As some of you know I am a bit of a tool junkie and for some time years, Chris and I have been looking for a small but usable Guillotine for modelling purposes.

Initially I was looking at one of these and almost placed an order having seen a link to it on another thread https://www.axminster.co.uk/305mm-sheet-metal-worker-900118

900118_xl.jpg

It wasn't until I realised that it weighed 45 kilos!! that alarm bells started ringing. I have no room for it to live on the bench so need to be able to lift it from the floor when I need to use it.

While looking for something else today ( prompted by Graham's query on folding bars) I looked at the Warco site and they have a similar model to the Axminster shown above that weighs even more (50 kilos). I was just about to move away from the page when I noted a link to a smaller model.

Although only taking an 8" wide sheet as opposed to 12" of the bigger model it's still a useful length of cut but more importantly for me at least it only weighs 17.5 kilos so much more user friendly in my workshop.

https://www.warco.co.uk/sheet-metal-fabrication-machinery-metalwork/302933-mini-formit-universal-sheet-metal-machine.html

mini-formit-universal-sheet-metal-machine.jpg

They are now out of stock since I bought the last one:cool:. Photos to follow once it arrives

That's put paid to kit purchases for a while....

Last edited:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Well, it arrived today so full marks for delivery. I comes packed in small wooden crate and it's screwed to it to secure it in transit.

It's also covered in grease like many machine tools so that will be the first job to deal with. That won't happen until next week though because I have other things planned in the meantime.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
I guess its a bit late now, but I have one similar to your photo of an Axminster, but badged as a Warco and a bit longer than the photo and way beyond what I can lift on my own. Instead of bolting it to the bench I use the holes in the feet for casters so it can be wheeled out of the way in the workshop. May not be as stable as bolting down, but not had any problem yet.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I guess its a bit late now, but I have one similar to your photo of an Axminster, but badged as a Warco and a bit longer than the photo and way beyond what I can lift on my own. Instead of bolting it to the bench I use the holes in the feet for casters so it can be wheeled out of the way in the workshop. May not be as stable as bolting down, but not had any problem yet.

Hi Mike,

I can lift this one, not quite with ease but as long as I am sensible I shouldn't hurt myself. I don't have the room to store a bigger one and this one won't get fastened to the bench either. I think that I will use the base of the packing case to make a base for it to sit on which won't damage the floor when sliding it back under my bench out of the way.

I have one of these, and its a well made product, and easy to use.
Warco products IMO are good value, and well made, although I am sure most of these things are made at the same manufacturer, and rebranded.
I have also fitted a stick on LED from ebay (cost@£2) to help illuminate the cut area, as its a bit dark otherwise.

Andy.

Attachments

• IMG_3632.JPG
    IMG_3632.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 47

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks Andy,

My work area is well lit with additional LED lights as well as fluorescents but I will bear in mind your suggestion if I struggle.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I finally managed to get the machine cleaned and free of it's coating of gunk that its in when delivered.

having done that I had to adjust the anvil section where the guillotine blade meets it to ensure a clean cut.

Having done that and then tried to cut an offcut of nickel sheet it became clear that the guide wasn't square to the blade so the cut was not square.
having adjusted it, I was still struggling to get a square cut. and realised it was because the guide itself was so short that the workpiece was able to swivel lengthwise around it.

32487044697_5dd2e2c144_b.jpg

The piece of drilled bar in front of the machine is a sprung stop to prevent the sheet from lifting during the cut which I had taken off while setting up the guide.

32487044287_7418ea2c64_b.jpg

The two photos above show how short the guide is.

In order to ensure the cut was square I drilled a short length of aluminium strip that I had to match the holes in anvil which made the guide go almost as far as the blade so that the workpiece now has plenty to push against and keep it square.

47376076392_ee833f8bbc_b.jpg