What projects do you have for 2010?

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Hi Phill,

it looks like you could be right. I've had another look and looks as if the cabs are spot soldered in place. So I'll have a long hard think about it BEFORE I do anything rash,

Mark

28ten

Guv'nor
marsa69 said:
Hi Phill,

it looks like you could be right. I've had another look and looks as if the cabs are spot soldered in place. So I'll have a long hard think about it BEFORE I do anything rash,

Mark
Difficult call - what I wouldn't do is to go the whole rebuild route - it will be more trouble/cash/time than it is worth ( I speak from experience of rebuilds, as I have just finished work on a Vulcan Pannier for a client and tha chassis ended up like the irishmans broom :headbang: :headbang: )

marsa69

Western Thunderer
You're right. A rebuild is not an option I really want to explore. It would help if someone with more experience than myself could have a look at it. Any takers? :laugh:

28ten

Guv'nor
If the interior is spot soldered, one option is to use a small burr in a dremel to remove the spot solder and in theory it should just drop out......

A

alcors1

I have a number of projects for 2010,

I need to finish my 3 brass Alco RS locos, they are painted, but I need to purchase DPT (Direct powered Trucks/bogies) and DCC sound for each.
add the water to my port/harbor on my US layout, wire the building lights.

design my UK layout (for work on next year)

build my small 8ft x1ft UK industrial.

D1054

Western Thunderer
Hi alcors1, I'd be interested in seeing what you do with the water in a harbour setting..... Please remember to send some pix in when you can get around to it :thumbs:

Progress on the TAT has been steady, and latest update tonight after plugging in temp headcodes is below. Still got plenty to do, but seems to be taking shape now, and having an identity seems to make you want to push on to get it finished I find... But I've found another problem - I've lost the etches for the headcode covers :headbang: :oops: Shouldn't be too hard to knock some out but I don't suppose there's anyone out there with any pix of the etches in the JLTRT kit perchance??? :oops:

Attachments

• 40 132.jpg
    40 132.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 39

D1054

Western Thunderer
Go the etches from JLTRT by return of post... Now attached and weathering commenced... still not found any records of 40's to Penzance, so my modelling will have to be around Gloucester/Worcester I think :scratch:

Attachments

• 40132 (4).jpg
    40132 (4).jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 40132 (3).jpg
    40132 (3).jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 40132 Day 1.jpg
    40132 Day 1.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 40132 (4).jpg
    40132 (4).jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 40132 (3).jpg
    40132 (3).jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 40132 Day 1.jpg
    40132 Day 1.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 19

28ten

Guv'nor
I know nothing about class 40's, but thats a nice model :thumbs: it captures the grubby blue look that I remember

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi D1054, Great work :thumbs: . I love the weathering :bowdown: But what i'm excited about is now the 40's done maybe it's time for some more work on Monitor :drool: :drool: :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi D1054,

nice bit of weathering coming on there. The JLTRT diesels do come up well, just a pity about the price and having to use superglue :headbang:

regards

Mike

D1054

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the comments chaps. And, ok Rob, maybe the time is right to press on with another 52... trouble is, I've found I have plates for Consort and Monitor..... Consort.... Monitor.... decisions, decisions.... hmm..

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi D1054

Well if your doing it in blue and in there later years they were both very faded :thumbs: :drool:

Rob. PS i like Phills approach do both :lol: :thumbs:

D1054

Western Thunderer
Your right about that, Rob. I saw Monitor in November 1975 at Paddington when she was on coaching stock movements on one very smokey engine... last time I saw Consort was Reading in October 1976 as below... Perfect for a project I think! Mind you, I like the IDEA of a third Wezzie :drool: :thumbs: , but I don't fancy the COST! :shock: Maybe I should follow some of the excellent scratch-building that's been going on.... :scratch:

Attachments

• D1065 Reading 231076 B 800x566.jpg
    D1065 Reading 231076 B 800x566.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 35
  • D1065 Reading 231076 800x523.jpg
    D1065 Reading 231076 800x523.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 35

D1054

Western Thunderer
I'm using Ron Chaplin's, but I'd really prefer something with a lower gear ratio for slow speed operation.

I've recently inherited two ABC bogies for a Class 37, but I'm thinking of using them in a Class 50. I've not tried them yet, but if they're as good as people say then I'll probably invest in a pair for Governor and Monitor (and then Consort... lol!).

Are you pondering over which gearbox to use?

Ian.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I've got a Ron Chaplin gearbox in my Hymek 7017 which has a flywheel & is a really good runner at all speeds :scratch: , I'm trying to decide the best way to motorise my Wezzy & I did originally think about using twin Ron Chaplin's but I am also seriously thinking about a single ABC motor bogie as an alternative, so I will be interested to see what you decide ;) :)

Cheers Phill :wave:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
D1054 said:
I'm using Ron Chaplin's, but I'd really prefer something with a lower gear ratio for slow speed operation.

I've recently inherited two ABC bogies for a Class 37, but I'm thinking of using them in a Class 50. I've not tried them yet, but if they're as good as people say then I'll probably invest in a pair for Governor and Monitor (and then Consort... lol!).

Are you pondering over which gearbox to use?

Ian.
Hi Ian, yes i am. Undecided at the mo. My first two wessies Stalwart and Trooper hav'nt gearboxes just gear/worm and i have had problems with them. I'm also looking into the pick-ups as well. I have used plunger pick-ups but i feel that i'm not getting the best response . This could however be me (i might not have them working well). So basically i am looking into a better way of getting my wessies to perform :thumbs:

Phill; how much are the Ron chaplin gearboxes in your Hymek ?. I too have thought about 1 ABC bogie but at ?142 it is going to make it expensive. However if it is reliable and performs well pulling a reasonable length train for a decent length of time without it expiring then it is worth the cost :scratch:

Rob :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor
I havent used the Chaplin box so I cant compare the two, but what I like about the ABC unit is the compensation and the fact it is brass. I will prise it out get a few shots this week as there are a couple of niggles as well

D1054

Western Thunderer
Stalwart and Trooper hav'nt gearboxes just gear/worm and i have had problems with them. I'm also looking into the pick-ups as well. I have used plunger pick-ups but i feel that i'm not getting the best response . This could however be me (i might not have them working well). So basically i am looking into a better way of getting my wessies to perform.....
I'm still using Slaters plungers, but I reduce the size of the spring slightly, round off the point on the pickup, and lubricate with silicone. On my diesels I only pick up from the driven wheels, except my Class 37/2 where I've sprung the centre axles in each bogie and still used the slater pick-ups, but this is definitely at a cost to track adhesion, but otherwise I have had no problems (so far!). However, my loco's are not put under any real strain as they only potter about on and off shed and on 5 coach trains max.

Its a tight squeeze to use the plungers with Ron C gearbox at the business end, so for Monitor and Consort I'll be sweeping from the back of the drive wheels with some simple n/s wipers. I'll share how I get on if you like - when I get back to them.

I'd prefer to run split axles, but I just don't have the gear to turn them up at the mo. I do wish someone would produce some quality split axles commercially (especially for Slaters wheelsets).

I'll let you know about the ABC's when I've tried them out. In the meantime, the 50's made a bit of progress......

Cheers,

Ian.

Attachments

• 50041 Workshop 120710 #2.jpg
    50041 Workshop 120710 #2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 50041 Workshop 120710 #2.jpg
    50041 Workshop 120710 #2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 50041 Workshop 120710.jpg
    50041 Workshop 120710.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 15