What projects do you have for 2010?

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
lancer1027 said:
Phill; how much are the Ron chaplin gearboxes in your Hymek ?. I too have thought about 1 ABC bogie but at ?142 it is going to make it expensive. However if it is reliable and performs well pulling a reasonable length train for a decent length of time without it expiring then it is worth the cost :scratch:
Rob :wave:

I've had the one in the Hymek for about five years now Rob, so I wouldn't know how much they are now, if I remember rightly it was about ?40ish including motor & flywheel, I was looking on both ABC & Ron's websites earlier & Ron does a gearbox designed specially for JLTRT bogies (ABC do a similar gearbox too) , but there are no prices on Ron's site, so you would have to e-mail him ;)
Although the ABC bogies seem expensive, you get a very well engineered bogie which includes wheels, which would probably be comparable to two ordinary motorised bogies (if one ABC gives similar performance) :scratch:
I think any of these alternatives would sort your problems which we discussed at the WSR :)
Cheers Phill :wave:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your input. Yes when you get back on to the wessies that would be great :thumbs: . Is the 50 an un-refurb i cant make it out in the pics. Plus is that a numberplate off Governor i spot behind the 50 :thumbs: (it really should be infront of the 50, as 50's finished off the wessies :x ) :lol:

Phill; thanks for the help mate. I am drawn to the ABC bogie but thought if i get as much info as poss then make the decision :thumbs:

28ten

Guv'nor
Brian (Mr ABC) is very helpful, you can always ring him for a chat, but I wouldn't leave it to Telford as his stand can get very busy.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

I posted a reply to this thread last night which seems to be lost in the clear blue yonder................

The gist of it was that I was speaking to Derek Fox (GOG Area4 Rep and organiser of the Gresford Get-together) at the end of last week to finalise the programme for printing and he told me that Ron Chaplin is retiring and will only be doing orders, and for a short time at that, for existing and regular customers - effective from now.

I too have found Brian Clapperton very helpful and shall continue where possible to make use of his products. Usual disclaimer.

regards

Mike

28ten

Guv'nor
Ressaldar said:
Hi all,

I posted a reply to this thread last night which seems to be lost in the clear blue yonder................

regards

Mike
I'm afraid vanishing posts seem to be a feature of phpBB :headbang: :vista:

D1054

Western Thunderer
lancer1027 wrote: Is the 50 an un-refurb i cant make it out in the pics. Plus is that a numberplate off Governor i spot behind the 50 (it really should be infront of the 50, as 50's finished off the wessies
Yes, Rob. 50041 is in "as built" and un-named form to go with my 1976 themed plans :laugh: The Governor plate is off D1015's sponsored run to Buxton in March (and I do have the name-plate too :D ). I'm not sure that without the help of HST's the Class 50's would ever have ousted their superior hydraulic :bowdown: counterparts! :) ;)
The Guv'nor wrote: Brian (Mr ABC) is very helpful, you can always ring him for a chat, but I wouldn't leave it to Telford as his stand can get very busy.
Dead right! And did you see that working 5" scale Western bogie he had at Halifax - Super awesome engineering !!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :shock: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: I think he was far busier with questions about that than selling motor/gearboxes - and quite rightly! Totally Superb! :thumbs: No wonder his bogies are good.... :oops: :thumbs:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
D1054 said:
lancer1027 wrote: Is the 50 an un-refurb i cant make it out in the pics. Plus is that a numberplate off Governor i spot behind the 50 (it really should be infront of the 50, as 50's finished off the wessies
Yes, Rob. 50041 is in "as built" and un-named form to go with my 1976 themed plans :laugh: The Governor plate is off D1015's sponsored run to Buxton in March (and I do have the name-plate too :D ). I'm not sure that without the help of HST's the Class 50's would ever have ousted their superior hydraulic :bowdown: counterparts! :) ;)
[quote:1zqgbbdb]The Guv'nor wrote: Brian (Mr ABC) is very helpful, you can always ring him for a chat, but I wouldn't leave it to Telford as his stand can get very busy.
Dead right! And did you see that working 5" scale Western bogie he had at Halifax - Super awesome engineering !!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :shock: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: I think he was far busier with questions about that than selling motor/gearboxes - and quite rightly! Totally Superb! :thumbs: No wonder his bogies are good.... :oops: :thumbs:[/quote:1zqgbbdb]
Hi Ian.
You say you have 1976 themed plans :drool: May i ask what they are. I am planning Penzance in the early to mid 70's, so we have a common loco base there :thumbs: I hope (eventually) to get a 50 un-refurb as 50 023 un-named, but before that i want to get some more wessies. Look forward to some more progress on Monitor (or Consort) which ever it's going to be :thumbs: :drool:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
lancer1027 said:
I hope (eventually) to get a 50 un-refurb as 50 023 un-named,

You won't need to motorise it Rob, one of the Wezzy's can drag it as a failure :laugh:
Phill :wave:

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Phill Dyson said:
[quote=""lancer1027"":24jbbmw3] I hope (eventually) to get a 50 un-refurb as 50 023 un-named,

You won't need to motorise it Rob, one of the Wezzy's can drag it as a failure :laugh:
Phill :wave:[/quote:24jbbmw3]

you are so naughty :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
iploffy said:
[quote=""Phill Dyson"":14o748qp][quote=""lancer1027"":14o748qp] I hope (eventually) to get a 50 un-refurb as 50 023 un-named,

Phill :wave:[/quote:14o748qp]

you are so naughty :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian[/quote:14o748qp]
Its very funny though :lol: :lol: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
So, how far did we all get in 2010..?? :eek: :-[ :shit:

Jordan said:
I will finish my Class 14 ... and I need to do a bit of work on my rolling stock, most of which I've got second hand so there's odd things like brake gear and seized buffers to repair. I have an Ex-GWR Toad (Lima) and a BR Standard Brake Van (Slaters) both at the "nearly finished" stage... 
... then there's my US (or "Dark Side" ) stuff to do as well.... so much to do, so little time... 
My Class 14, as many of you will know, did not get finished and is 'on hold'. :'(
I did however finish all my UK-outline wagons, got my UK-outline layout more-or-less finished, and did a fair bit on the Dark Side including finishing my GP40 "kit-bash", and starting a new US-outline Shunty-plank due for a Show in June this year.
I've had some hard decisions to make - based on sheer economics mainly - such as not doing any more in UK outline, and which scale to pursue more in US outline (HO or O), which wasn't made any easier by a local modelling mate giving me a whole heap of HO scale stuff. ???  ;D

So, did anyone else get anywhere near accomplishing what they set out to last year..??

marsa69

Western Thunderer
I didn't achieve everything but I did achieve two of the most important things and that was to get the bulk of the trackwork done and to acquire an 03  ;D

Now for 2011 is to finish the trackwork and electrics and to acquire a class 142 Pacer in GMPTE livery. A 'brucie' bonus would be a JLTRT 37.  :eek: best start saving then,

regards,

Mark

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Well, my list got smaller well sort of, then got added to, as i managed to get quite a bit done on the list;
Here goes. :thumbs:
1.  Buccaneer (JLTRT ) ah well not actually done anything on that one :headbang:
2. Concrete base for shed...... Mmmmmmm nor that one
3. 3rd motorail Flat .  FINISHED  :eek: :eek: ;D ;D
4. Westdale GUV.  FINISHED  :eek: :eek: ;D ;D
5. Westdale BG. FINISHED  :eek::thumbs:
6. Ian Kirk Syphon G as Newspapers . FINISHED :eek: ;D
7. Big big mk2 convert to BFK. FINISHED ;D

However i have also added to the list;
8. Easybuild RMB. Finished all except spraying the roof ;D
9. Easybuild FK. half way with build  ;D
10. Easybuild CK . started but not finished
11. Easybuild TSO. started but not finished
12. Big big mk2's x 10 . Various stages
13. Heljan 47 . re-number and weather as 1660 City of Truro. Done except nameplate and works plates
14. Slater/Coopercraft 5 plank open. alter/detail as UCV china clay wagon. Nearly finished ;D
15. Slater/Coopercraft 5 plank open as above but not started.

So there you have it.. Happy Modelling :thumbs:

G

Graham Powell

What projects do you have for 2011

Building stock for the garden railway is always ongoing up here. I have about seven kits in storage which I have acquired over the years.  I have thought of selling them but I might as well build them up as time and money permit. At the moment in the workshop is a Slaters Compound kit which I was given. I won't say too much about it on this forum. Also in the shop is a Southern Class W 2-6-4 tank which I think is the most handsome tank engine ever built. Its also a difficult b.....d to make a model of. A partly built King is also there but having acquired another one its been on the back burner for some time. The plan is to do this one  in early BR Blue livery with a single chimney. I also need another engine to run on the broad gauge. I also have some vans and trucks to build. The railway itself will need some TLC . Can't do much until the spring. For various reasons I've been told I cannot spend much money this year so I'm going to work my way through my boxes of driving wheels/motors and gears etc.
rgds
Graham Powell ;D :wave: :thumbs:

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
What projects do you have for 2011

Graham Powell said:
Also in the shop is a Southern Class W 2-6-4 tank which I think is the most handsome tank engine ever built. Its also a difficult b.....d to make a model of.
rgds
Graham Powell ;D :wave: :thumbs:
Graham,
Is this kit or scratchbuilt?  If a kit, which one; if scratchbuilt, where are you getting the cab fittings from...? Yep, I've got one too....
And in terms of appearance, well, I wonder if you'd forgotten about the Ex-LBSCR 'J' tanks?  ;D
Did the Southern actually have any duff-looking [s:c44273ef]tank[/s:c44273ef] locos?

Steph

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
lancer1027 said:
Well, my list got smaller well sort of, then got added to, as i managed to get quite a bit done on the list;
Here goes. :thumbs:
1.  Buccaneer (JLTRT ) ah well not actually done anything on that one :headbang:
2. Concrete base for shed...... Mmmmmmm nor that one
3. 3rd motorail Flat .  FINISHED  :eek: :eek: ;D ;D
4. Westdale GUV.  FINISHED  :eek: :eek: ;D ;D
5. Westdale BG. FINISHED  :eek::thumbs:
6. Ian Kirk Syphon G as Newspapers . FINISHED :eek: ;D
7. Big big mk2 convert to BFK. FINISHED ;D

However i have also added to the list;
8. Easybuild RMB. Finished all except spraying the roof ;D
9. Easybuild FK. half way with build  ;D
10. Easybuild CK . started but not finished
11. Easybuild TSO. started but not finished
12. Big big mk2's x 10 . Various stages
13. Heljan 47 . re-number and weather as 1660 City of Truro. Done except nameplate and works plates
14. Slater/Coopercraft 5 plank open. alter/detail as UCV china clay wagon. Nearly finished ;D
15. Slater/Coopercraft 5 plank open as above but not started.

So there you have it.. Happy Modelling :thumbs:

I hope number one priority will be your garden railway this year mate  :thumbs:

Phill  :wave:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Phill Dyson said:
I don't know about finishing them in 2010   , but here are a few of mine :

1 Westdale Bubble Car (BFYE)
2 Ian Kirk Gresley Buffet (Blue/Grey circa 1970's)
3 a rake of 6 wheel milk tanks
4 Various MK1's
5 more MK11's
6 Westdale GUV
7 Steve Beattie Class 24 (I would like to convert it to a 25/1 )

In the spring I will be definitely doing  more work on my terminus , fiddle yard
& building a viaduct.

Cheers Phill  :)

Well I managed to sort the ones marked in bold on my list...........but I did say I don't know about doing them in 2010............................or 2011 for that matter  ;D

G

Graham Powell

Hi Steph, its a scratchbuilt one with home turned wheels. The cab fittings I shall make myself but they will only be simple ones as you can't see them when its going round.  I had the body nearly finished but was unhappy with it so its a blow lamp job  clean off  and re assemble.  The valve gear is a bit tricky as its has a sort of linkage arrangement linking the piston valve to the combination lever.  It also has bogie brakes which I've done before on a Wath on Dearne shunter.
Not sure about the J class but the W is a really rugged handsome looking beast not unlike myself!. They did have some nice tank engines especially the ex LBSCR
ones.  I am lucky in that I have an A E West photograph of one  showing the LHS and another in a book showing the RHS. The West one is a big picture with lots of detail taken at one of the SR sheds in London. I actually saw 2 or 3 W 's in a line of scrap engines at Bristol Barrow Road around 1964.
rgds
Graham