What's in the yard today....

Overseer

Western Thunderer
That depends on "when" their loco is supposed to be depicting.... ;)
There was an article in Traction mag a few years back about Boston Docks (UK) - an EWS Class 66 was exchanging freight with an 08 & 03, which were in BR Green, being privately owned, and leased to work the Docks traffic. I'd love to model & exhibit that,... :p :D
We all look forward to your new layout. Hopefully in S7. You will only need a few locos and wagons... :)

Western Thunderer
Even at 56 we still go past 'people' that sit in the second (& Third) lane !! (because the first lane is for lorries !!) :rant:

Steve :cool:

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I was always led to believe that speedo's read 10÷ under the speed check the sat nav against the speedo

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
When limiters came in I was at a Company where drivers had the same truck each day. One weekend the dreaded time came for 'my' Merc to be fitted. Monday morning I hit the M5... 54mph, 55mph, 56mph..... 57, 58... the limiter came in at 61mph, instead of the new 'legal' 56/90kph. :)

I kept very very quiet about it.... :D

In a desperate attempt to head this thread somewhere back on track, I did once do a delivery to Derby Carriage works ;)
Just out of interest, with no limiter and no trailer, what sort of speed could you get a truck up to?

Tom

mike knowles

That depends on "when" their loco is supposed to be depicting.... ;)
There was an article in Traction mag a few years back about Boston Docks (UK) - an EWS Class 66 was exchanging freight with an 08 & 03, which were in BR Green, being privately owned, and leased to work the Docks traffic. I'd love to model & exhibit that, and some Exhibition Know-All would be sure to pour scorn & condemnation on it for such an inaccurate mix of Era's... and then I'd wave the pictures in his face... :p :D

You'll mean this then!

Boston 1.jpg

Boston 2.jpg

Boston 3.jpg

Photos taken on my P4 layout Boston Frodsham which I exhibited (as a work in progress) at the recent Cleethorpes show.

AJC

Western Thunderer
I like that very much Mike, a good sense of place even at this early stage. In many ways, containing this with a backscene will make that tricky to maintain. Any chance of starting your own thread?

Adam

mike knowles

I like that very much Mike, a good sense of place even at this early stage. In many ways, containing this with a backscene will make that tricky to maintain. Any chance of starting your own thread?

Adam
Thanks for the kind comments. Yes I intend to start a thread as soon as I have the time.

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Yes Mike - that'll do it !! Very nice. Are you going to do that octagonal control hut for the bridge as well?

Off the clock; 80mph+ probably, although you'd do better with a loaded trailer, downhill. :)

How times change - the other day I got an 'infringement report' at work for doing 60.5mph for 11 seconds.... yes really!!! :rolleyes: :mad: :headbang:

Mmmm, one day something I'd love to try. Just need to find a private section of Motorway and truck hehe.

So much for the 10% discretion then!
Cheers

Tom

farnetti

Western Thunderer
Just out of interest, with no limiter and no trailer, what sort of speed could you get a truck up to?

Tom

I seem to remember back in the 1970's when I was driving Volvo F10/F12 around Europe there was a throttle lock which would keep it at around 80mph on the flat.

Ken

3 LINK

Western Thunderer

Tom

Your still limited to 56mph nowadays it's just that you get there a bit quicker without a trailer;), when they put speed limiters on our ERF's at Wincanton the mechanic told us the limiters were controlled by a thin rubber vacuum pipe, needless to say my 0.7mm drill bit was used to excess one weekend and away we went :D.

Martyn.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Even at 56 we still go past 'people' that sit in the second (& Third) lane !! (because the first lane is for lorries !!) :rant:

Yes I do that with my car as well, I thought the law had changed regarding driving in the middle lane it does not seem so, I followed someone the other day doing 45 mph in the middle lane, not a copper in sight, maybe if they spent less money on road signs and more on the police we could go back to having our motorways being run properly again. By the way has anyone noticed that the NEW safe speed on the motorway has become 40 bloody miles an hour:rant:it's about time that someone got out of their chairs and come and see the chaos they are causing, still they get revenue from all of the speeding drivers who are getting pretty pissed off with driving toooooooo slow. I mean at 6 o'clock in the morning 40 mph when there is NOTHING on the road at all:headbang:

Western Thunderer
We caught up with & passed a copper who was driving in the 2nd lane on the 4 lane part of the M1 between jnc 26 & 27 last Saturday. That was a good 5mile stretch. :rant:

Wish we had took pic & video & put online :rolleyes:

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Ahhh yes but that was a 4 lane stretch they can go slowly in 3 lanes then so causing even more havoc in a more relaxed way:headbang:

mike knowles

Yes Mike - that'll do it !! Very nice. Are you going to do that octagonal control hut for the bridge as well

Yes the control hut is planned but it will have to be relocated to the other side of the river to fit in the layout - please bear in mind the layout is BASED on Boston, it's not an exact copy. It also includes the river front wharf at Frodsham in Cheshire (hence the layout name Boston Frodsham) which gives the excuse for including the RB22 crane.

The article you refer to was actually in a supplement called Oil & Water in the July 2005 edition of Traction and it was the double page photo in the centre that spurred my interest in building the model, but no it hasn't taken me 9 years of building to get this far, (well not quite!)

AndyB

Western Thunderer
After a bit of deviation, this thread has returned back to topic in a strange kind of way.
08704 (currently in BR Green and numbered D3871) is ex-Boston, and was delivered on site here amongst the other loco deliveries last week. I'm told it will be repainted (don't know in what livery), and will then take up duties here as one or two of our other 08's are in need of attention.