When your mojo goes AWOL

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I think we've all been there. You maybe get stuck on a project, and no amount of chipping away at it seems to make it better. It goes back in its box, and you get a sense of foreboding any time you try and approach your modelling bench.

Your modelling mojo has gone AWOL.

So what can you do?

I lost my mojo last year. I'm very much a butterfly modeller, with various projects in various scales covering various forms of transport. Usually, if something causes me grief, I can put it aside and pick up another project. Last year, though, I had completely lost my interest in recreating things in miniature. I was much more interested in reading novels and venturing out with my camera gear.

In my case, being asked to build some more coaches for Richard Carr fired up my enthusiasm again. I am now keen to get to the workbench and set to. It helped that I also had spent a while working on things other than railways for a spell.

I have made models since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. I pestered my Dad to let me help him make models, and eventually he caved in, even though being a girl he didn't think it quite right. I've been making models of all kinds ever since, though railways have taken my main interest since the late 1980s. I just love recreating the real world in small scales as realistically as possible.

When I find railway modelling beginning to get stale, I turn to model aircraft. My current part-built project is a BAC TSR-2 in 1/72nd scale. It's got all the aftermarket add-ons, and I have a nice diorama with vehicles and scenery planned for it. Currently, the unfinished aircraft is sitting in my showcase, reminding me I need to get on with it, but while I have railway projects for other people, in the case it shall stay.

So, if you find your modelling mojo is missing, you could try buying an Airfix kit of something you wouldn't normally consider. Build it as it comes, or add details to suit. See if it helps refresh your palette enough to get back to those projects that have gone stale. It works for me.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
When I find railway modelling beginning to get stale, I turn to model aircraft. My current part-built project is a BAC TSR-2 in 1/72nd scale. It's got all the aftermarket add-ons, and I have a nice diorama with vehicles and scenery planned for it. Currently, the unfinished aircraft is sitting in my showcase, reminding me I need to get on with it, but while I have railway projects for other people, in the case it shall stay.
I recall seeing the discarded airframes in a pile alongside of Feltham engine shed, must have been around 1965.

If you are interested in this prototype then talk with Len... he was involved in the production of the prototypes. In fact just listening to Len talk about his past is very Mojo-finding for he has been associated with so many advances in engineering / technology at the sharp end, particularly when he was with Marconi.

regards, Prof Barking (crazy 1st class).

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
So, if you find your modelling mojo is missing, you could try buying an Airfix kit of something you wouldn't normally consider. Build it as it comes, or add details to suit.
Maybe this is how the Larkrail Challenge came about (details can be found on the forum somewhere). What shall you be entering this year?

regards, Graham

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
........My current part-built project is a BAC TSR-2 in 1/72nd scale. It's got all the aftermarket add-ons, and I have a nice diorama with vehicles and scenery planned for it...

Hi Heather - any chance of a photo?

As a teenager, I remember reading articles about TSR2 in contemporary copies of Flight magazine. Wasn't it Tony Benn who cancelled it?

Regards

Tim

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
What shall you be entering this year?

If I'm honest, I hadn't considered it. I flit between at least two scales, besides my other interests beyond the company fence. I don't think there's much beyond my comfort zone that fits the Larkrail Challenge.

Anyway, here's XR219, looking forlornly at me from the cabinet.

IMG_5114.jpg

Reactions: Bob

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather - any chance of a photo?

Done!

Yes, Tony Benn did cancel it. The development of the type is a fascinating story. It comes from a time when British ingenuity and technology led the world. TSR-2 was so far ahead of anything else out there in concept and execution, it seems such a waste not to have continued with it at such a late stage. The second prototype was about to begin test flights, and the third was well advanced in construction, when the plug was pulled. Much technology found its way into Concorde and numerous other joint venture military aircraft, so it wasn't all wasted.

S

SteveO

I wouldn't say my mojo has ever been lost, but it has been thrust away from me - most days, as it happens. That seems much worse to me. I'm currently stacked at work (in between emails at the mo!) and was up until 3.30am last night finishing a project, which has happened all too often during the last few months.

I'm still building three vans I started in October - I'm trying to put a positive spin on it by thinking that I'm in no rush, but to see them there calling out to me is disappointing. Last week I managed to trim and dress a few parts for soldering during our Open Day on Sunday, which I'm really looking forward to. Mind you, if it's busy I won't be able to do any soldering!

Still in the immediate queue are two Hybars and a brakevan, then I'm starting on a couple Beattie 24s I've got stored, but there's plenty more wagons and my beloved Warship still waving their hands at me, saying "Pick me, pick me!" every time I go in the loft. And I'm not even going to mention the Class 31...

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I have been looking at other kits to build hence the Tilly, the cab detail on the G6 stumped me at 1st but now making card templates to help.

Ian G

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Ahh the mighty TSR2. Now there was an aircraft. Damn Tony Benn and the colonials from across the pond :rant:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Ahh the mighty TSR2. Now there was an aircraft. Damn Tony Benn and the colonials from across the pond :rant:

The ironic thing was we didn't end up buying the F111 after all. Australia did, so there was a ready market for the TSR-2 if it had gone into production. It is said it would have carried the official moniker of Eagle in service.

S

SteveO

Aw, go one... tell us all about why you are not going to mention the poor thing :) ;) :thumbs: .

regards, Graham
I'm afraid that if I did it would push those teetering on the edge of the mojo chasm into the deep - possibly never to recover. I couldn't have that on my conscience...

S

Simon Dunkley

I'm still building three vans I started in October
I am amazed that someone even started anything as recently as October (presumably 2012?) and yet you complain about not having finished!

My mojo has been absent for so long, I am not sure I would know what it was when it came back...

S

SteveO

My mojo has been absent for so long, I am not sure I would know what it was when it came back...
Haha! I was initially spoilt by building plastic kits which were up and running in a couple days - I could even build them at the office. Then I had Skytrex wagons which involved the heavy task of opening a flap on a box. All pretty much instant gratification.

I must say, even though it's dragged out with tiny spots of 'doing something' and long periods of 'not doing something', I really enjoy the process. But if you're looking for something to get your teeth into you could have a look at my two 24s for me? There's no rush on them, and it would probably take me 5 years to get to them at this rate!

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I looked at the work bench today and thought must do something as I may be off work for some time with glandular fever, no fun

Ian G

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Me too. Glandular fever = not nice :( Get well soon mate :thumbs:

My mojo is not completely lacking just distracted by other things at the mo like catching up with college stuff and doing a phased return to work after my recent troubles :) But I do know where Heather is coming from and when my mojo goes AWOL I usually distract myself in other ways until it decides to come back,

Mark

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
:D

I'm just jealous of Ian's gloriously chaotic workspace - my bench is also my dining room table and my computer desk at the moment and requires constant tidying and cleaning :headbang: