7mm Wirral OGG layout - New Brighton

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Continuing on from Chester Street & the Merseyside MRS, we now March 2010, become the Wirral O Gauge Group and move into primary school premises with a lock up shed to house a layout that has yet to be designed:eek:

Because of the requirement to erect/dismantle the layout at every twice weekly meetings, a lightweight construction was decided upon and then a test track style layout designed - ie no scenery to get damaged each time the layout came out/went away - which produced this

Odyssey inner terminus 05.04.12.jpg

albeit without the double junction off of the inner circuit in the lower left. The outer two lines are completely independent of each other but the inner pair of lines have 3 pairs of crossovers. As constructed - using Peco track, the layout had manual operated points and was DC controlled.

As the layout was to be erected/dismantled at each meeting, it was decided to use 75 thick Styrofoam as the core material, bonded to 9 birch ply sides and ends with solvent free 'no nails'
post-6951-127114248405_thumb.jpg
post-6951-127114257206_thumb.jpg
post-6951-127114257666_thumb.jpg

Having basiscally getting things running, we were then again faced with finding new premises, which fortunately did not take too long - a former fitness suite, still with all of the equipment installed, but exactly the right size to fit the layout in lengthways and give us over ten feet to the side when the layout was erected against the wall. The really good thing was that as sole user, we were able to have the layout up 24/7. Like a lot of 'good things at the time' this location lasted just 12 months and we were on the move again.

We are now located in the old printing room of what was the headquarters of the Blue Funnel Line - (cue for model of 35013) a room approx 45' x 22' which with the layout against two walls gives us plenty of room for general circulation.

IMG_3135.JPG

Hopefully, if we can continue paying the expensive rent, we will be settled for a good while yet. To this end, we have decided to add a station area to the open side of the layout, serving all four running lines - following our move, the inner two have now been converted to DCC (Digitrax Super Chief 8)

We have also embarked on an end to end layout based on the layout of the local New Brighton station and it's approaches, with the idea of exhibiting at local events - it measures 39' x 4' at its extreme

New Brighton Odyssey and fiddle yard V3 01.06.12.jpg
and the idea is to have the station and immeadiate approach to be plugged into a double junction off of the inner tracks of the continuous run.

Odyssey New Brighton V2 ~ 06.04.12.jpg

This time we have gone for 9 birch ply construction throughout - easier to attach point motors etc to the underside We have just finished the baseboard construction and will be starting to insert the pattern makers dowels and overcentre catches this week. The boards will then be painted, followed by construction of the trackwork - all C&L and points operated by Tortoise motors.

That just about brings you up to date, further episodes will follow in due course.

cheers

Mike

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Evening Mike,

I notice that this time with the new layout you have decided against using Styrofoam, is there any other reason apart from the problem of attaching point motors as to why you have decided on plywood ?

ATB,

Martyn.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Evening Mike,

I notice that this time with the new layout you have decided against using Styrofoam, is there any other reason apart from the problem of attaching point motors as to why you have decided on plywood ?

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

That is the main reason, as there has been no sign of delamination and cost wise there's probably not much in it, if you do as we did and bought the ply ready cut to size, and it is also best quality birch.

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the heads up Mike. Will have to try my best to visit one running day :thumbs:

Mark

Hi Mark,

would be great to see you, and any other WT'er - in fact we have an Open Day coming up on 30th March - details attached.

cheers

Mike

Attachments

• Odyssey Centre open day poster 18.03.13.pdf
    40.8 KB · Views: 3

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Ah yes, I remember this New Brighton, and getting all excited 'cos I thought you meant "my" New Brighton, in Minnesota...:rolleyes::oops:
Ahhh, a very nice reminder Jordan. We have been down the timber yard before - please remind me of the context of the last visit, something to do with the crossing if I recall.

regards, Barking of the UK

[btw is there a Barking of the USA?]

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Hi Martyn,

That is the main reason, as there has been no sign of delamination and cost wise there's probably not much in it, if you do as we did and bought the ply ready cut to size, and it is also best quality birch.

cheers

Mike

And what about the noise aspect, Mike? Any difference between the interesting styrofoam base and the ply? I imagine the foam may have been pretty quiet in comparison?

Tony

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Tony,

The Styrofoam was covered with a 6 cork layer and it was quite quiet, the fitness suite floor had a slight spring in it and this I think had a 'damping' effect.

We decided that as we now had the layout up permanently, we would introduce a 'station area' and ballast the front half of the layout - (from 3 o/clock to 9 o/clock on the last track plan above) and used a mixture of materials, stone on the two out (DC) tracks and a man made fibre type on the inner two (DCC) tracks. There was a noticable increase in noise level when trains moved from the back of the layout to the front and vice versa. Since moving to the Odyssey Centre and into a solid floor, that noise has been even more noticable. We have now placed small squares of foam backed carpet tiles under each leg all round the layout and the noise level has dropped quite a lot. It will be interesting to see the noise levels that are generated by the ply baseboards in the hopefully, not to distant future - I'll keep you posted.

cheers

Mike