7mm .

AJC

Western Thunderer
The Wills point rodding stools are much closer to 7mm than 4mm, as might the rodding itself. That said the stool spacing is wrong for the larger scale. I think MSE via Wizard Models do 7mm stools as ModelU certainly does. I'd post links but I'm on the train home!

Adam

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
If you have a ground signal then I think that the pull on the signal ought to be through detectors on one of the turnouts.

Not sure if appropriate here, the run from the ground frame to the far turnout may, in the real world, have included an expansion joint /compensating cranks (two cranks with an intermediary link, both cranks on the same "bed").

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Now that's interesting! No doubt the rodding is plastic? & so easy enough to change for some longer stuff..?? ;) :thumbs:
Just attracted to the Wills kit as it's something I'm likely to find at my local Model Shop.

Also - the signal would more likely be operated by cable, than rodding, wouldn't it?

Yes, the rodding is plastic and, yes, it's easy to replace. I guess the signal would run off a wire but as Graham suggests, it might not be connected to the lever frame directly.

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
Ah, a Nine Elms loco! The lamp iron mods are a characteristic SR visitation on various ex-WR types (including BR standards) applied in a fairly haphazard sort of a way perhaps at shed level. 8745 - another Gloucester loco - spent years and years at Yeovil and gained some quite sophisticated appendages (and an SR style water softener dosing hatch). Modelling it is a medium term aspiration.

Adam

Northroader

Western Thunderer
With that ground frame when you’ve got one lever pulled and the others at the back, the pulled one is a locking lever for the other two, I think. You have to replace it before you can move the other two, and usually it was padlocked to prevent unauthorised yobs playing about. That’s my take on it, anyway.
Just climbing out of the wreckage, nice site you got here.