7mm Wm C Boggs Sanitary Ware Manufacturers

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
This is our latest and possibly our last 7mm Fine Scale as we are next layout will be in Scale 7.
This layout is 6ft by 18inches including the fiddle yard.
I'm using mainly the new Peco set track points and curves with a bit of flexi track for the straights.
The stock will be fitted with Dingham couplings as there is insufficient room to used 3 link couplings and the points will be operated using "Blue" mechanical point actuators and the locos controlled with a Lenz 100 DCC system.
As for a location this will depend on the stock I want to run.

Marc

microlayout.jpg view1 may 2019.jpg view 2 may 2019.jpg

Lightman

This is our latest and possibly our last 7mm Fine Scale as we are next layout will be in Scale 7.
This layout is 6ft by 18inches including the fiddle yard.
I'm using mainly the new Peco set track points and curves with a bit of flexi track for the straights.
The stock will be fitted with Dingham couplings as there is insufficient room to used 3 link couplings and the points will be operated using "Blue" mechanical point actuators and the locos controlled with a Lenz 100 DCC system.
As for a location this will depend on the stock I want to run.

Marc

View attachment 104425 View attachment 104426 View attachment 104427
I am a great fan of small/micro layouts. People think that there is not a lot to do on a small layout, but in fact if your 'thing' is shunting (like me) you can have great fun, as long as you can keep changing the stock. The thing I like most is chain/rope shunting of wagons. I too use the excellent dingham auto couplings. I used to use sprat and winkle but I disliked the long sticking out arm which is the coupler and the way they are fitted to stock, although saying that I did come up with a method of putting all the coupling gear soldiered onto a piece of copperclad and then glued underneath the buffer. I still prefer the dinghams though. Care must be used in fitting them if using different makes of stock. I made up a set piece from copperclad which sits on the track and everything is then fitted to couple onto this, thus all stock should be able to couple to each other. I am looking forward to seeing the progression of this layout and how you get on with the operation. Cheers, Earl

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Luckily most of the stock apart from the locos will come from our own range so it is only ones with a steel under-framed wagons which need a slight adjustment with a packing piece in the back of the buffer beams to stop the coupling moving side ways.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
The base boards are Grainge and Hodder's they are 900mm x 445mm with the built in canopy. They were bought for a 0-21 narrow gauge layout that was not built for various reasons. I was going to used them for a S7 layout but the height of the canopy didn't give enough room to use 3 link couplings.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Just a quick up date on progress since my last post. I have flipped the track plan so that the fiddle yard is on the left had side as you look at the front. We have also mirrored the layout so that the siding that runs back no runs along the back scene.
On the physical build 8mm of cork tile has been laid and the buildings are staring to be put together. The LCut Water tower arrived this afternoon jus need some point actuators before I can get the track down.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Latest photo of progress. Ballast is down and once the glue has gone off the airbrush will be out to finish the painting. Not sure about the flat building behind the wooden fence at the right hand end doesn't look quite right for some reason. I can't put my finger on it. perhaps it just needs a picture of another taller building there.
MarcOctober 2019 3.jpg

paulc

Western Thunderer
Latest photo of progress. Ballast is down and once the glue has gone off the airbrush will be out to finish the painting. Not sure about the flat building behind the wooden fence at the right hand end doesn't look quite right for some reason. I can't put my finger on it. perhaps it just needs a picture of another taller building there.
MarcView attachment 113929
Hi !marc , i think its because everything else is taller and yet the smallest building is closer , perspective is coming into play . Personally i would try another taller building and see if it solves the problem , even just a card mock up to get an impression would work .
Cheers Paul

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Paul,
That's sort of what I was thinking. I have an idea for a corrugated steel sheeted building which could be taller.
As a side, do you think that I could get away with running NSWGR wagons on the layout? I have just been commissioned to produce some kits for a group in NSW.
Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Having changed what goes on the right hand end. Still not happy with it. Think it might need some thing bigger. Like another factory side so I will stick down the fence so I can remove it at a later date. Any suggestions welcome.

MarcNov19.jpg

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Marc , if all the stock is Aussie then yes as the buildings could be anywhere, not all of Australia is gum trees and dirt roads .
Cheers Paul

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I think you could be right about the framing but that will have to be added later. Its still a work in progress. Progress today has been the fitting of the top plates, painted the outside of the box, moved the water to the other side and raised up the printed backscene one the right hand side.

Marcnov 13 2019.jpg

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Just a quick update. Due to the Gauge 0 Guild's Telford show being canalled and with it the small layout competition I lost my modelling Mojo not much has been done since my last post. But this is due to change very shortly. It looks like the Gauge 0 Guilds Stafford Show is on and with it the small layout competition. So Boggs will be on the road this year, 4th and 5th of September, subject to the usual plague restrictions. I will have to pull my finger out now and finish it.
I need to do the following to get it ready.
  • Buildings need to have their windows blacked out and to be placed and attached in their final positions
  • Lights in the yard and on the buildings so I can turn the main lights off (parts ordered to make them)
  • Back scene needs some attention on the right hand side (I might remove the fence and put another building in)
  • exit needs to be cut in the right hand side and a small cassette board needs making
  • scenic details need adding (static grass, small cameos etc)
  • picture frame needs adding along with the layout name and possibly drop down cover plates/notice boards
I think that I have solved the Dingham's coupling problem that made things interesting to shunt with the tight curves, I have etched up some bigger loops. Time will tell on this.

Marc