Workbench lamp

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Having struggled to find a decent workbench lamp, this recentish purchase has proved to be rather good. It doesn't take up much bench space, has a heavy base for stability, good reach, goes where it's adjusted to, has adjustable brightness and the light head is small enough not to get in the way. It's not universally articulated, but has not yet been found wanting.
A splendid successor to an erratically behaved anglepoise which refused to stay in one place for very long before collapsing in a sulk.
IMG_0008.JPG

Ian_C

Western Thunderer
Light. Let there be light. Lots of light. Hard to have too much light on the workbench. Do you know what colour temperature the LEDs produce? Close to daylight?

Yes, you need to buy a damned expensive angle poise to have it stay where you put it without slack in every part of the linkage!

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Light. Let there be light. Lots of light. Hard to have too much light on the workbench. Do you know what colour temperature the LEDs produce? Close to daylight?

Not that it means much to me, unfortunately, but the book says the four modes give the following ranges.

2000- 3000K Colour temp
3500- 4500K
5500- 6500K
4500- 5500K

5 level Brightness control

Lumens- 530Lm

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Yes, you need to buy a damned expensive angle poise to have it stay where you put it without slack in every part of the linkage!

Which means buying the genuine article, not cheap these days. I was fortunate and got a couple out of a skip when my school's drawing office shut about 25 years ago. I've subsequently picked up another couple through car boot sales and still have three in use. The fourth failed by a clumsy friend :(.

Steph

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
My workbench Anglepoise is late 60's vintage and came from the old WD & HO Wills factory on the Coast Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, in exchange for some Embassy coupons!! Anyone know if the building still exists? It was classic architecture of its day (30's ?) and close to the ECML just north of Heaton.

Richard

JimG

Western Thunderer
I'm not sure how old this Anglepoise is - rescued from a BBC Glasgow engineering maintenance room in the 1960s when it was being refurbished.

Anglepoise.jpg

...with the original brass bayonet socket and strip, rather than box, section struts in the lower arm. It is probably immediate post war at latest or maybe even prewar. The BBC moved into Queen Margaret Drive in 1936 so it wouldn't have been earlier than that.

Jim.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I remember Q Margaret Drive so well - which is probably where we first met. The Beeb used to do old houses so well! Such a shame that really useful equipment could not be recycled. But you've recycled it very well.:)

B

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Jim/Brian
I did a spell at QMD in the eighties, so we might well know each other unknowingly, if you see what I mean. Apart from Studio 1 and the original mansion that still stands, there is nothing else to suggest the BBC were ever there. I remember it fondly, so much more character than Pacific Quay will ever have.
Regards
Martin

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Martin - I wonder.....

I didn't go back to QMD after 1983 when I changed employers, but was a regular visitor, selling for a certain large photographic manufacturer, until then. I had a wonderful patch, selling to TV North of the Thames - that's as far as Aberdeen of course, not that the Beeb in Aberdeen ever used much film! For some reason the patch also included LWT, which was just South of the Thames. Mine not to reason why......

Even now I'm occasionally accosted by people with the "I remember you when you visited Leeds/Ealing/Euston Road etc". I used to be very good at remembering faces, but age has taken it's toll.:D

Brian

JimG

Western Thunderer
You can check this on the Anglepoise website How can I date my vintage Anglepoise® lamp?

And my model doesn't appear on that site but other investigation shows that mine is the original four spring industrial Anglepoise which was the first design which pre-dated the more popular three spring "domestic" version. I'm off to Antiques Road Show to see if I can get an inflated value on it. I'll need to find an original tungsten filament bulb to get it back to original condition. :):):)

Jim.

JimG

Western Thunderer
Jim/Brian
I did a spell at QMD in the eighties, so we might well know each other unknowingly, if you see what I mean. Apart from Studio 1 and the original mansion that still stands, there is nothing else to suggest the BBC were ever there. I remember it fondly, so much more character than Pacific Quay will ever have.

Martin,

I left BBC Glasgow in December '81 to move to BBC Film Unit, Bristol. In Queen Margaret Drive, I would have been down the corridor by the TV studio, at the back of the main building overlooking the Kelvin where the Film Unit offices were situated. So our paths might have crossed if you were there - more than likely in the canteen or the club. :)

Jim.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I'll need to find an original tungsten filament bulb to get it back to original condition. :):):)

Jim.
I still have a supply of tungsten filament lamps......bought by the truck load when those awful "energy saving" bulbs became the norm. D'you want one?:))

B

simond

Western Thunderer
I'd be very surprised if the energy "saved" by the CFL's covered that expended in their production, and promotion.

Particularly the hot air expended in their promotion...

Best
Simon

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Brian
Possibly not then, I was in engineering and didn't have much to do with film.
Jim
Ah the film unit, next to the mech workshop in the tunnel. The folding bars still in my workshop came from there courtesy of Ken who seemed to find it a more interesting project than modifying Vinten peds. Flying spot telecine isn't a phrase much used today, in television or any where else for that matter. I was there from summer 1980 until spring 84 and then from 86-87, building firstly the CTA and then a Tv continuity suite. It's a while ago but we must have met at some time, the club is most likely, small world isn't it.

Regards
Martin

JimG

Western Thunderer
I still have a supply of tungsten filament lamps......bought by the truck load when those awful "energy saving" bulbs became the norm. D'you want one?:))

Brian,

No thanks. :) I've changed the house over to CFL and the next move will probably be to LED. I've now got quite used to lamps lasting forever - or so it seems. I think the only lamp I've changed in the past seven or eight years was a very early CFL which was taking minutes to get up to peak output. It was moved from the lounge to my indoor workshop where I've learned to put up with the long fade up. I dare say I'll have to throw it out some day but being Scottish and it still working.....:):):)

Jim.

unklian

Western Thunderer
Here's a variation on the theme. Simple too. Salvaged from my dad's workshop and much coveted by others for some reason. This replaced a more conventional anglepoise which was badly damaged when the CFL blew up. They seem prone to this when their long lives finally come to an end . I am back to filament bulbs now, and they are not hard to find yet .....
RIMG0205.JPG