Would there be any interest in.....

28ten

Guv'nor
A section on computer modelling? by this I mean CAD/CAM, etching, lasers, CNC etc. Quite a few people are dipping their toes into etching/laser cutting and Jim has been doing interesting stuff with the mini mill. I have some show and tell projects in sketchup and Autocad.
Any takers?

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
In a a word yes  :D  :thumbs:........but preferably stuff which is doable on cheapo or free programs  ;D :))

Phill  :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor
That sounds sensible  :thumbs: I think maybe a small For sale area if anybody wishes to make their efforts available to a wider audience.

Phill, there is a whole range of software out there that is suitable, but 2d cad is available free on all platforms with Draftsight http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/ and it is more than capable of producing the necessary artwork. Here is a quick shot of it  where I am doodling with a ground plan

Attachments

• draft.jpg
    draft.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 2

JimG

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
A section on computer modelling? by this I mean CAD/CAM, etching, lasers, CNC etc. Quite a few people are dipping their toes into etching/laser cutting and Jim has been doing interesting stuff with the mini mill. I have some show and tell projects in sketchup and Autocad.
Any takers?

OK  :D 

There are certainly a lot of brick walls to hit and I'm hitting quite a few - mainly becuase of what I can or cannot achieve with less expensive versions of software.  3D CNC work can be (is?  :D) the province of rather expensive software.  :D  I've been giving it a bye for a few weeks to give my brain a rest and to get on with other things like domestic work and the layout,  but I've just re-started today on AutoCAD and Rhino when I noticed your message.  I'm trying to see if I can wangle accurate representations of bolections on the CAM software I've got - Cut3D and Cut2D from Vectric.

Jim.

28ten

Guv'nor
JimG said:
OK  :D 

There are certainly a lot of brick walls to hit and I'm hitting quite a few - mainly becuase of what I can or cannot achieve with less expensive versions of software.  3D CNC work can be (is?  :D) the province of rather expensive software.  :D  I've been giving it a bye for a few weeks to give my brain a rest and to get on with other things like domestic work and the layout,  but I've just re-started today on AutoCAD and Rhino when I noticed your message.  I'm trying to see if I can wangle accurate representations of bolections on the CAM software I've got - Cut3D and Cut2D from Vectric.

Jim.
Amen to that, im fortunate enough to know a software rep so i get very, very good deals.
I have only used cut 3d a couple of times but im pretty certain that you will be able to do the bolections with it.
Phlatboys http://www.phlatboyz.com/ do a sketchup plug in that outputs g-code, but sketchup is not without its quirks, although it is the best free package available and I use it a lot. this is a sketchup model

Attachments

• shed render.jpg
    shed render.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 0

marsa69

Western Thunderer
I think maybe a small For sale area

I think this would be a good idea but maybe limit it to members only, to avoid any hassles or bargain hunters jumping the site. I say this as, if it was made available to any who can view the site, you just know that probelms are going to crop up and bite you in the aris!

regards,

Mark

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
Phill, there is a whole range of software out there that is suitable, but 2d cad is available free on all platforms with Draftsight http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/ and it is more than capable of producing the necessary artwork. Here is a quick shot of it  where I am doodling with a ground plan

Thanks for that Cynric  :D , I have downloaded the programme & will have a play when I have some spare time  :scratch:
One project I would like to get my head round is producing some artwork for replacement correct shape etch windscreens for RJH Westerns..........would this program be a good starting point for this project ?

Phill  :wave:

BTW I think a For Sale section could be a good idea too  :scratch:

28ten

Guv'nor
Yes it is a simple project. I have to do a headcode panel for the 105, so I will do some shots as it is pretty similar. Once I am happy with my Western windscreens I'll send you the file as it will be a good starting point