Wriggly tin in 7mm scale - supplier or how to make?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Apart from Ambis Engineering (sold through Holiday Hobbies who shows all items as out of stock), who else supplies "corrugated metal" in 7mm scale? As this request is in relation to making a fence the top edge is going to be visible and hence I am not keen to use either moulded or embossed materials, my preference is metal.

Or, anyone able to offer advice on producing corrugated metal (copper or aluminium) in 7mm scale sheets circa 10 x 2 ft?

thank you, Graham

[or maybe has a stock that could be exchanged for coins of the realm?]

lankytank

Western Thunderer
Graham

A ready supply can be obtained from......... Heinz....!!!!

Eat the beans, use the empty cans. Pair of tinsnips, chop, chop ,mind your fingers those edges can be bl**dy sharp, the edges will rust in a prototypical fashion if left outside.

Hope that helps

Baz

adrian

Flying Squad
Well Metalsmith used to do some rather nice sheets
Scenic_products_Gauge0

Unfortunately they have been marked temporarily out of stock for quite a while. As Baz didn't mention anything from his stock it might be worth contacting Dave Smith to find out his definition of temporary.

lankytank

Western Thunderer
Adrian/Graham

Yes, it's one of the products that Dave 'held on to' - sorry, I can't help.

Spookily, I've just been speaking to someone else (called Ian & he's into S7) about the 7mm corrugated iron & fired them off on the 'Heinz route'.

Don't know what Dave's doing about the wiggly tin - I know he's got the machines to make them, seem to recall a conversation about motorising them, take all the grunt out of the operation.....

Baz

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
I entered '7mm scale corrugated iron' which seemed logical enough. those results were on the first page

John

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
A while ago I made my own 7mm corrugated iron sheets using the foil from the bottom of fast food containers pressed between the Peco Modelscene 4mm scale asbestos sheets (cat no 5054). This was following a magazine article.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
There are also "crinkly rollers" made for use by greetings card makers - those people who make their own cards as a craft. I've not tried them but I believe these would work with the aluminium sheet to which Yorkshire Dave refers above.

Brian

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Late last year I imported one of these:

Brunel Models Corrugated Iron Maker

It requires a stock material slightly thicker than the usual cooking foils (tried it, not strong enough) - the supplier recommends that used for hairdressing colouring purposes.

Just recently Mrs. Osgood brought me back a sample from a salon, but I'm sorry to report that as yet I have not had time to try it. Of slightly more concern is I can't recall where I put it :rolleyes:

At the moment I'm half-optimistic that reasonable results might come from very careful use of this tool, but I'm sorely tempted to commission the machining of an accurately scaled set of rolls and do a -

Proper Job.jpg

Last edited:

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
What on earth is that? I can identify the Leyland T45 cab, but that's about it (edit - other than the shed bit - I can tell what that is as well)!

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I believe it started as a Bedford MJ 4x4 chassis doctored and re-engined by Somerset farmer Andy 'Proper Job' and the Barley Boys (pickers?) team on a Scrapheap Challenge.

Last edited:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
The main problem / art of using the Brunel Models tool is how to trim sheets to size once the corrugations are formed.
Ideally it requires trimming with a sharp knife whilst the sheet is still sitting on the profiled platter - width is not too too bad but length is impossible to trim without crushing the delicate corrugations unless it sits on the profiled platter for this operation.
A shame the profiled area of the platter is not a bit larger in length / width to facilitate this operation.
I have yet to try forming corrugations on plain cut-to-size sheets as that requires some trial and error work to find how sheets reduce in width once profiled.

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
Barley Pickers IIRC!! For one of the 'Scrappy Races' Scrapheap Challenges where four or five teams had to build a vehicle and get it road legal then drive it round the country to various locations where they had different challenges. Also, mr Proper Job managed to mangle the original RR diesel they used by fiddling with the governor and dropping the adjuster!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Came across this thread searching for 7mm corrugated asbestos roofing to put on this:

tmp_5072-post-6675-0-30093400-14925467561379783884.jpg
Any thoughts on a suitable product? Gauging off the blocks in another photo of this building, I think the sheets are about 2'x 6'. Seem to be about 10 ribs per sheet, so a pitch of around 1.4mm? Can I get away with corrugated iron/steel??

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Here is the piece of work which prompted the original query... the photo below is of a set of coal screens on one of Ian Pope's layouts (his photo, his copyright, image used here to illustrate an answer to a question).

Sorry, I cannot be sure if this is the side which Ian did or the side which was done by me - probably not relevant as we used the same raw material and applied the stuff in the same way. The roof construction is a skin of 30thou styrene supported by beams, rafters and purloins, on top of the roof layer are individual "wiggly-tin sheets" cut from 7mm corrugated iron sheets by Slater's Plastikard. I recollect that the sheets in this picture are a scale 10' x 2' in size.

I laid the lower sheets from end to end and each sheet was aligned to a line drawn along the roof layer. When the lower layer was secure I drew a feint pencil line along the top edge of the "sheets" with something like 2mm overlap. The thickness of the Slater's product (circa 20thou) needs to be taken into account when laying the second row else the top row has a mini-peak where there are four thicknesses of sheet - so I cut a notch in one (bottom) corner of each of the top row sheets so as to minimise the ups-downsy effect.

13995561_10205222511801782_364933697748255638_o.jpg

All of the wagons in this picture belong to Ian and are part of his ginormous collection of PO wagons which were found in the FoD at some point in time. There are more photos of the layout and of the wagons on Ian's Facebook page. The layout has made several appearances at model railway exhibitions this year in support of showing how the wagons were used, the range of models that are available and the research that goes into the POW books from Lightmoor Press.

Brian McKenzie

Western Thunderer
I made this set of rollers to produce 3inch pitch corrugated iron in 9mm scale (when modelling 3' 6" prototype on O gauge).
This equals 3.86" pitch in 7mm scale - so is probably too small for representing industrial profiles - especially if 5" pitch asbestos is required.
9mm_scale_Corrugated_Iron_Rollers_8640a.jpg
The top roller runs in adjustable eccentric bearings. Roofing material used was mostly 0.006" aluminium foil.