WT and the JLTRT range of diseasels

S

SteveO

I'd give a toe for a 24/0 but at £500+ for a complete kit I'll keep my money where it is - keeping my overdraft afloat. My toes, however, are always negotiable!

I'd love it if DJParkins were to introduce a 24 as that would be a lovely way to spend a few years (at my speed!) building something very rewarding for a reasonable price. Trying to persuade Alcazar to part with his 31/0 has failed so at some point I will have to get one of those too. Roll on retirement - only another 20+ years to go!

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Probably because the HJ Hymek came out about the same time, cost a lot less, is actually very good indeed and so completely negated the reasons for buying a kit, regardless of who made it.:confused:
That depends on what you want from a model, granted the JLTRT will be more expensive all up, but, if your bent is making models, then Heljan or any RTR kinda miss the goal.

I don't have a large layout that needs filling up quick so RTR isn't required for that aspect, I like making kits and thus with no layout have all the time in the world. I like the Heljan 31 but will probably drop for a DJH, why, because it's the building that appeals to me. Price wise the DJH with wheels and motors will cost lets say £200-250 more in the long run? Say it takes 2 years to build and finish, that's a well spent extra £250 to keep me entertained for some considerable time, we won't add the initial cost as you'd spend that either way, it's the difference that's important. Additionally the DJH offers more detail under the skirt, if you want to add that to Heljan then the price begins to go up for RTR.

Put another way, you'd be hard pressed to find another interest or hobby that'd last that long for that price.

I have a JLTRT class 40 and I have seen the Heljan one already and it looks good, I'm still happy with my JLTRT purchase.

Try it another way, if 1/35 armour was supplied RTR or Airfix kits already built but at say 10-15% cheaper than the kits, would anyone buy them? Kits are designed and bought by those that want that aspect, cost really doesn't enter into it.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
The best livery all be it fictitious was the Hymek in grey that looked stunning and is what could have been (political rant starting) our short sighted master decreed otherwise

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
That depends on what you want from a model, granted the JLTRT will be more expensive all up, but, if your bent is making models, then Heljan or any RTR kinda miss the goal.

I don't have a large layout that needs filling up quick so RTR isn't required for that aspect, I like making kits and thus with no layout have all the time in the world. I like the Heljan 31 but will probably drop for a DJH, why, because it's the building that appeals to me. Price wise the DJH with wheels and motors will cost lets say £200-250 more in the long run? Say it takes 2 years to build and finish, that's a well spent extra £250 to keep me entertained for some considerable time, we won't add the initial cost as you'd spent that either way, it's the difference that's important. Additionally the DJH offers more detail under the skirt, if you want to add that to Heljan then the price begins to go up for RTR.

Put another way, you'd be hard pressed to find another interest or hobby that'd last that long for that price.

I have a JLTRT class 40 and I have seen the Heljan one already and it looks good, I'm still happy with my JLTRT purchase.

Try it another way, if 1/35 armour was supplied RTR or Airfix kits already built but at say 10-15% cheaper than the kits, would anyone buy them? Kits are designed and bought by those that want that aspect, cost really doesn't enter into it.

Absolutely no criticism is being levelled at the builder MTH of this parish who is a brilliant model maker (I have written that in red so as I can get that point across to start with). I have one too! the only bit I am cheesed off with is the front pony truck. When built the springing on it was so severe that it pushed the first driver next to it off the tracks due to it having no secondary suspension as per the prototype( Due to this thing about locomotives being as authentic as possible for PW) as LSpa is flat it's not a problem, but in the garden another matter. we removed material off the rubbing plate as per the one at the poachers (Lincoln) to give the bogie more up and down freedom still no good, so we next removed a few of the coils from the spring putting pressure on the pony wheels, this works and looks great but no there is not enough pressure on it to make the wheel follow the undulations in the track. The next fix is going to be the re-instating of the full coils to the pony truck and the fitting of a phosphor bronze spring piece of steel which will add pressure to the front of the bogie and the fitting of more weight to the loco

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Yes, I've looked at that big plastic block for the bogies, truth be told, I'm quite tempted to remove it and make my own inner chassis with full CSB suspension and then work out some thing for the pony truck, as it'll be for S7 and indoors I won't encounter your issues you have outside.

If you put enough weight in then it'll probably steam roller all your undulations out :thumbs:

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Yes, I've looked at that big plastic block for the bogies, truth be told, I'm quite tempted to remove it and make my own inner chassis with full CSB suspension and then work out some thing for the pony truck

Hi Mick

I can see why JLTRT went for the chassis block - it does make bogie construction far quicker and the kit more accessible to more modellers. The 44's bogies were designed by Malcolm Mitchell, and while they are beautiful, there's no denying that they required serious soldering skills to do a good job -which perhaps defeats the object of a 5-piece glue together body:confused:

10001 has the blocks, and I took the opportunity to make it all split-axle pickup which was dead easy. I do think there's a weakness with the bolster pivot area due to a lack of depth of plastic with a hole for the pivot above a hole for the centre bearing, and a weighted body bearing on the bolster. I guess time will tell.

I did have a JLTRT 40 on my shopping list, but I think that's probably been superceded by the Heljan 40.

Richard

westernfan

Western Thunderer
Its a shame that JLTRT or any other Kit manufacturer dont make a kit of the AC Cars railbus . Im sure that a railbus kit would sell well to owners of limited space setups as well as those who have railway empires. Id buy one for sure . Im still trying to find out if CCW made a kit years back Ive seen one for sale way back on the bay but only the once. Any ideas ?

WF

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I think that you are correct in what you say Jordan... however there has to be something else to add to the mix because there is deafening silence in regard to Hymeks :confused: .

regards, Graham
To the best of my knowledge there have been no JLTRT Hymeks on Western Thunder.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Now now now Jordan remarks like that are the sole preserve of founder members of the blue brigade SGT Marsa and moi, we have been bashing Zanussi's for years

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
I like the 44 - the bogies are works of art....
Yes, they are exquisite, it was a shame that the bogies were dumbed down in later kits. Although I can see why it was done, I don't think a resin lump was quite the right answer.

I like the 37, I may well build another one of them at some point in the future, but there's nothing else they do that fits in with my chosen period and era. I do like the 50's, but I'm being strict with myself in 7mm scale - chosen area and era only!

Stu Fox

Western Thunderer
I'd love a '45' with a string of Mk1's on a seaside extra to Scarborough in summer '76... ...round gentle curves in my garden... (SWMBO, cash, garden, weather, plans of children, future health, etc.... permitting of course!)

:rolleyes:

Stu