Yelverton - the "toy junction"

Alex W

Western Thunderer
DSCF2305.jpg
4555 shunts an open into the refuge at Yelverton. Loco is Bachmann (I like Backmann 45's); Wagon started life as Airfix ICI, found broken in the rubbish box under a trade stand. Cost me 50p as I recall.
DSCF2312.jpg

Portrait of a pannier. Bachmann again. Still needs glazing, coal and a crew. I brought it for an abortive project. It has found new life on Yelverton. DSCF2311.jpg
Up freight passes down passenger. Still experimenting with track weathering. This used Mig "Dark Tracks" wash. I'm quite pleased with the results so far.

Alex

Last edited:

Alex W

Western Thunderer
4588 Shunts a van into the short loading bay at Yelverton.DSCF2369.jpg

Progress in the yard. Construction of the signal box is under way. The large gap is because the boards are not bolted together so i can move them apart while working on the scenery.
DSCF2370.jpg
merry Christmas!
Alex

Alex W

Western Thunderer
Cheers Ade. From left to right: Lamp hut - converted Wills ; Wooden shed - scratch, from photos of Yelverton ; Brick hut - scratch, from photos of Yelverton; Trolley house - scratch, from plans of Hatch in Railway modeller about 1968. More details in my thread on RM web.
Alex

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The track intrigues me. It doesn't have the usual narrow gauge appearance of OO gauge. I thought at first it was EM, then I wondered if you had slipped Code 55 rail into OO track bases. Whatever, it looks good.

Alex W

Western Thunderer
I recently posted some pictures of an auto coach I had made for my Yelveton model. I mentioned I needed a 64xx in lined green to pull it, and thank to the kindness of Pannier Tank (David) on this forumj, I was able to obtain one. I've changed the buffers for sprung ones, and weathered it, but otherwise it's out of the box. It will become 6400. I thought the tfront tank steps woulfd be usuitable for 6400, but on studying pictures of 5600 on the Launceston branch, found it had acquired them
DSCF2449.jpg

DSCF2452.jpg

A Launceston-Plymouth freight trundles through Yelverton station. It's about to stop and pin down brakes before heading down the gradient to Bickleigh.
DSCF2453.jpg

4658 has at last acquired glazing.
DSCF2448.jpg

Alex

Pannier Tank

Western Thunderer
I recently posted some pictures of an auto coach I had made for my Yelveton model. I mentioned I needed a 64xx in lined green to pull it, and thank to the kindness of Pannier Tank (David) on this forumj, I was able to obtain one. I've changed the buffers for sprung ones, and weathered it, but otherwise it's out of the box. It will become 6400. I

I am pleased the 64xx has gone to a good home. You've done a nice job with the subtle weathering.

Alex W

Western Thunderer
I've been working on the Tavistock end of the station. Here is a 64xx on an auto service. The loco still has the number Bachmann supplied it with, but it will become 6400. I understand the early 64xx were outshopped with different steps on the tanks to the Bachmann model, but there are photos of 6400 on the Plymouth-Tavistock branch with the later type.DSCF2472.jpg 4574 entering the station with an up Launceston-Plymouth passenger.
DSCF2476.jpg Portrait of 4555. I think this was the last 45xx in unlined black. It was certainly still in this livery in 1962 in the last days of the branch.
DSCF2478.jpg

Alex

Alex W

Western Thunderer
My understanding is the early BR emblem is a heraldic device, and as such had to be registered with the Court of Heraldry. BR registered the LHS logo only, believing it was OK for them to reverse it so it faced front on both sides. The Court of Heraldry required both sides to be registered as separate devices. Rather than register two, BR opted to register only one, so the RHS emblem faces backwards. Some locos were painted before the ruling, so the crest faces front on both sides of those. I'd need to check if 4555 was one of those.
Alex

Ian Rathbone

Western Thunderer
Your 4555 has the early emblem, (cycling ferret) introduced in 1948, which is not an heraldic device. It always faced the front of the locomotive. The second emblem introduced in 1956 (ferret & dartboard) was based on the crest of the Transport Executive coat of arms and was an heraldic device. Crests can only face left. The use of right facing variants of the latter ceased after 6 months when the College of Heralds flagged up the error.
I hope this explains it.

Ian R

Alex W

Western Thunderer
Thanks Ian. I'll have to revisit the RHS of 4555 at some point. Your post came at an opportune time, as I have two more to do.
Alex

Alex W

Western Thunderer
It’s been a while since I posted on this thread, so an update is long overdue. Here are some photos of the current state of play. First, an overall view of the station.
AB3BCF0B-C9DB-4443-B0FE-F32516023163.jpeg
A closer view of the up platform building.
8DD29339-D0CF-48DC-AC59-9F1829B80158.jpeg

Trains cross at Yelverton. The 64xx is propelling an auto train towards Plymouth

0B71108A-87FD-4453-B39B-73952150EEAA.jpeg
The private lane behind the station
3537DA47-0130-41EC-BCA9-089751BF53F7.jpeg
Alex