Yorky D's Küchentisch - DB V100... eins zwei drei

Messroom

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I required a 'modern' building for my proposed London Transport layout to contrast with the Art Deco/1930's style I intend having. The bothy I built earlier is a tad too early for the LT 'New Works' style.

The result is this laser cut kit I commissioned from BrushType4......

......a 7mm model of the Bognor Regis brick staff mess room built in 1955 by the Southern Region. It's a plain mundane building but will suit my requirements of a 'modern' building in the yard.

The parts - as ever they are well executed and fit together very well. So much so I had dry assembled within 15 minutes of opening the package.
Mess 01.jpg

The parts identified and some colour coding added to show the locations of the walls. Mess 01b.jpg

Firstly some items required laminating:
1 Plinth
2 Inner and outer toilet end walls
3 Inner floor
4 Outer front wall and the inner front toilet wall
5 Top step
Mess 01a.jpg

These were glued with PVA and clamped whilst drying.
Mess 02.jpg

The inner floor was then glued to the plinth using the inner sides as a locating guide. As can be seen I also lettered the locations of the wall parts.Mess 04.jpg

The two inner/outer toilet walls were dressed on the ends to ensure the laminate join was not evident on the transverse bricks (stretcher). Mess 06.jpg
Mess 07.jpg

The inner toilet window sill (circled here) required it's sill brick mortar joints.Mess 07a.jpg

The inner window is shown here (top right) and the micro saws I used to cut the mortar joints are shown. These are small etched blades designed for the Xacto knife handles. This exercise is a bit academic as the toilet walls will be painted white once the mortar is applied and is unlikely to be seen through the frosted glass! But I know it's there :rolleyes:.... Mess 08.jpg

More to follow.....

Messroom

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Earlier this evening I painted the interior walls...
Mess 10.jpg

The dado rail was drawn on with a Sharpie black marker pen.
Mess 10a.jpg

The inner carcass. Mess 11.jpg

Before painting I brushed the outer walls with a brass brush to rough them up a bit. Then it was on with the base coat for 'Flettons' with an old brush which has shed a few hairs - however these will rub off when dry. I'll let this dry overnight before the adding the brick variations.

For the record the colours used were a varying mixture of Vallejo Basic Rust, Yellow Rust, Red, Yellow and White.Mess 12.jpg
Mess 13.jpg

The holes in the rear are for locating the chimney.
Mess 14.jpg
Mess 15.jpg

Messroom

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Some more photos after the addition of the mortar.

Front.
Mess 15a.jpg

Rear - the chimney needs a bit more work. Mortar will be applied to the outer corners after final assembly.
Mess 15c.jpg

In this state it looks like it should be on the Salisbury Plain training ground. Mess 16.jpg
Mess 17.jpg

Close up of the entrance. The interior of the porch wall will be rendered.
Mess 18.jpg

Toilet entrance.
Mess 19.jpg

Some random building I photographed to check out the brickwork......:)
Mess 20.jpg

cmax

Western Thunderer
Thats very impressive, in fact looking at the toilet entrance, you can just imagine the smell........from within, brilliant.

Gary

Messroom

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The next item on the list was to glaze the windows.

I was pondering whether to glaze the frames individually or use one sheet behind the window frame. So as an experiment to help decide I cut individual panes from 0.25mm clear acrylic sheet and installed the panes with PVA.

The window on the left has individual panes whilst the one on the right has a single sheet behind the frame.

Mess 26a.jpg
Mess 26b.jpg

No contest really as the window on the left looks more like the metal Crittal windows of the 1950's. Therefore more panes were cut. Those destined for the toilet were 'frosted by' sanding them.
Mess 27.jpg
Mess 28.jpg

Once the glazing was completed the outer walls were installed to the carcass. Before doing this I drilled some holes in the floor to take the lighting cable. This conveniently passes through the cavity wall.

Mess 26.jpg

The corners were 'mortared' in and the inner wall of the front step brick wall was pasted with a mortar mix to represent cement rendering.
Mess 30.jpg

This shows how well the corners interlock. Mess 31.jpg
Mess 32.jpg
Mess 35.jpg

A bit cruel but this looks better in reality. Mess 36.jpg

Messroom

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I intend to install lighting in the mess hut which means it must be furnished....

Being lazy I searched around the t'interweb for 1:43 scale furniture - could I find any..... no. So I trawled around for 1:48 scale furninture and bingo...

I found these from a UK supplier who makes dolls house furniture in 1:12, 1:24 and low and behold 1:48.

So I purchased these...

Mess 45.jpg

They are laser cut ply and card kits. I started with the kitchen sink and table. Being small and rather delicate they take some time and unlike Ikea there are no screws left over :) .

Mess 48.jpg
Mess 49.jpg

Mess 49a.jpg
Mess 50.jpg

Mess 51.jpg

There are some item I will have to make namely steel lockers, coat hook racks, stove and Hugh Rinal from the Valleys....

Edited to include the last image through the window.

Last edited:
Messroom

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Several hours at the workbench today and not much to show for it....... a dining table, 3 dining chairs, 4 benches and a gas cooker.

This miniature furniture almost takes as long as the full size stuff to build :eek:.

The three dining chairs appear low as they yet to have their cushioned seats made and I also added some fine mesh in the grill pan.

Mess 52.jpg
Mess 53.jpg

And of course most of it won't be seen..... :rolleyes:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Very nice Dave. Won't be seen but you know it's there. I put things in my buildings as well...not necessarily furniture (particularly if it can't be seen) but normally things to quietly amuse me (and no, not those dodgy Faller figures in states of undress).

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Very nice Dave. Won't be seen but you know it's there. I put things in my buildings as well...not necessarily furniture (particularly if it can't be seen) but normally things to quietly amuse me (and no, not those dodgy Faller figures in states of undress).

Likewise, it's just whimsical at times to have something in the buildings, especially when doors are ajar, to tantalise the viewer.

For the sheer fun of it I also picked up this kit.....

.... a 1970's style television..... from the days before we had cinema size sit in the neighbour's garden to watch flat screen TVs.

Mess 54.jpg

And yes, the rear cover does have vents in the top.... :eek: :rolleyes:Mess 55.jpg

adrian

Flying Squad
The three dining chairs appear low as they yet to have their cushioned seats made and I also added some fine mesh in the grill pan.
Stunning - that fine mesh on the grill pan looks very effective - i.e. very fine, consistent and regular. Is it manufactured if so how or sourced from somewhere if so from where? I've a couple of projects where a fine mesh like that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Is it manufactured if so how or sourced from somewhere if so from where? I've a couple of projects where a fine mesh like that is exactly what I'm looking for.

The fine mesh is made by Aber - a Polish Company who makes a lot of etched detail parts for military kits as well as HO railway parts.

This is the catalogue page and you have to look for 'Net'.

Aber

I have dealt with them through their website without any problems.

adrian

Flying Squad
Cheers - The website doesn't appear to have an online shop - do you just email them with an enquiry?

adrian

Flying Squad
Thanks very much for that - I tried the listed UK distributors but they didn't seem to stock the smaller meshes. The JadarHobby site lists them at about £4.80 a sheet. I think I'll get a small selection for stock - you never know when they might be useful. :thumbs:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Dave, all this is just fabulously silly - and I LOVE IT!!!

I must say though, that is a terribly good picture for a set without a huge great 405 lines aerial? Ah no, just noticed; you've got a colour test card on there!

Now if you had a wobbly, fuzzy shot of Fireball XL5 taking off....

Don't worry, there are some folks in white coats coming to collect me shortly.

Pete.