Yorky D's Küchentisch - DB V100... eins zwei drei

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Ossett Brewery is opposite to the old back entrance to Healy Mills yard.
1 mile from my house :)
Useless information but thought I’d say it anyway :D

I been to the brewery on a visit organised by one of my work colleagues - and we are one of the few companies who can organise the proverbial in a brewery - hic!

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Simon
Yes seen pictures of that layout, awesome.
Heaton lodge Junction is just west of Mirfield where the line splits for Huddersfield and Brighouse.
About 6 miles from Healy Mills.

simond

Western Thunderer
I been to the brewery on a visit organised by one of my work colleagues - and we are one of the few companies who can organise the proverbial in a brewery - hic!

When I worked in Gliwice, Poland, we had some senior management coming over at the end of January, I asked my assistant to arrange a suitable Burns supper in a local hotel - which had a micro-brewery in the basement. She was most concerned (I have no idea why, she seemed quite confident in most ways) about this, but it all went off fine, so at my request, the Chairman presented her with a suitable certificate confirming that she could...

There was no haggis - the nearest Polish equivalent was very odd, but quite tasty... Lacked a lot in the appearance stakes however.

atb
Simon

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
My good friend Stuart piped in his own hand made haggis in the company's staff house in Pointe, Noire Congo. Kilt, bagpipes and all. Most impressive! Meanwhile his Russian partner, Olga, could have drunk us under the table if we had been drinking vodka, as it was it was good old imported French "Seize" (1664) so we were able to keep standing. Just!

Many of my most alcohol dinners were imbibed in West Africa. On another occasion, I think it was my 67th birthday, Stuart cooked a leg of lamb and five of us consumed 3 bottles of Fitou before we realized the next course would require Scotch!

Happy days worth remembering; sorry if off topic!

USATC

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
This thing has been sitting on the shelf for what appears eons - my first and only brass steam loco kit (Oakville) built years ago :eek:.

I've backdated it to the Southern Railway first modifications - cab, cab steps, lamp irons and bunker but retaining some of the US fittings namely the Nathan injectors, chime whistle, smokebox steps and the number disc on smokebox door. I had also corrected some faults such as shortening the front end of the chassis between the buffer beam and front driver and beefed up the connecting rod between the rear and centre drivers.

USATC 03.jpg

With this being built several years ago I made a bit of a hash of the rear of the cab... i.e. took too much off leaving a crater :rant:. It was this which consigned the model to the shelf.....

USATC 04.jpg

With my metalworking skill sort of moving on a bit and being parsecs from reaching the Superleague of rebuilding (Mickoo, PAD, Dikitriki, et al :bowdown: :bowdown:), I cut a new piece of brass from scrap etch, copied the front cab roof profile and cut and filed to shape.

A section was cut out of the cab rear and the new piece soldered in.

USATC 05.jpg

USATC 06.jpg
Although not absolutely perfect, I think there will be a witness mark after painting which I'll try and disguise with weathering to make it appear as if it had been battered by coal loading. There's obviously some tidying up to do to make it presentable e.g. manipulating the roof. Now, if I was modelling a BR version the increased bunker hopper height to halfway up the windows it would hide 90% of this join....;).

Naturally, having seen the photos above and thinking about it whilst typing this perhaps I should have cut a larger piece and placed the join in line with the top of the bunker. Having now thought of it.... I may just give it another try. :confused:

At this juncture this is likely to be my only brass steam loco kit build unless the Met E class appears. :)

In the meantime I'll stick to the odd carriage, electric and diesel loco brass kits as so far I find these a tad easier to build, methinks :rolleyes:....

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Welcome to the club....of making things threes times over because the first two were :shit:

Not that you're first one was. If you hadn't of marked where the join was I'd of barely spotted it, having said that, photos rarely show witness marks unless posed in exactly the right light; but they become glaringly obvious when handling the model first hand.

Bedford MWD

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
And now for something different....

An Airfix 1/48 Bedford MWD......

001.jpg

With new wheels from Dee Model and detail/replacement parts from Hauler.

002.jpg

Starting with the chassis and fuel tank retaining straps.

003.jpg

The fuel tank fillers were made up from 1mm brass wire and the caps are from the detail fret. And yes they are hexagonal. The moulded radiator grille was removed and the etched grille is to the right.

004.jpg

Radiator grille installed.

005.jpg

Ford AA

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Next up is this....

A cheap 1/48 scale Ukraine kit for a Red Army GAZ truck of which the original was built in the USSR under licence from Ford - based on their AA truck. I purchased this to build as a 1930's Ford AA truck.

It is a funny kind of styrene and not as crisp as Tamiya. Tamiya produce a GAZ truck but it is the later war version with angular mudguards and a utility cab.

AA 001.jpg

Anyway these are the results thus far.

AA 002.jpg

I've used radiator from the Tamiya kit as I accidentally knocked over the liquid glue .... oh :shit:! - which destroyed the radiator in the kit .

AA 003.jpg

I wanted the truck to appear as if it's parked half on the kerb and half on the road which means more of the weight is on the road tyres. The tyres in the kit are made of a rubbery plastic (gun elastic according to the box lid). To achieve this effect I warmed the tyres on a hotplate on the gas stove and applied some pressure to flatten the road tyres and a lighter pressure on the kerb tyres.

AA 004.jpg
AA 005.jpg

Vallejo acrylics, again, are used for painting along with washes and dry brushing.

There's still more to do - wing mirrors, front bumper, headlights, glazing, number plates, windscreen wiper, move the steering column to the right, etc, etc.....

P A D

Western Thunderer
Superb Dave.
That Ford AA will never pass the MOT. Look at the state of the tyres!

Nice work on the Oakville kit both the build and rear cab correction. I cut my teeth on an Oakville Ivatt 2P and it was a hell of a learning curve. Not exactly state of the art etched kits.

By the way, did you ever get to the Bradford Industral Museum to see the collection of Jowetts?

Cheers,
Peter

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Tyres can't be that bad - while the driver has been snoozing, someone has half inched the two inside ones off the back end . :eek:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I like the Ford, but one small comment about the steering geometry.

The steered wheels often angled out at the top as they were turned. I find exaggerating the effect on a model makes them look really good,

I’m not sure what the correct term is, but have a look at older vehicles with the steering on the lock and you’ll see what I mean. They should also point in different directions, where the inner wheel on a turn is tighter than the outer one.

I’m not explaining it very well, but essentially steered wheels are never straight and true or parallel with each other.

Here’s a link to a pic of an Austin Seven taking a corner at suicidal speed which pretty much shows what mean.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/aut...ews/first-drives/legacy/austin-seven-39_0.jpg

Another Austin that shows how the steered wheels sit straight ahead.

http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphotos/full/ebay379558.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Often called the 'toe-in' to make steering self-centering. However, I am sure many of us older gents remember the state of many pre-war cars and light lorries after the war where the front wheels angled in at the top as if they had given up after carrying too much weight. I also recall seeing this on the big automobiles imported to the UK from America.

I love the Ford AA conversion. It so takes me back to childhood when these things were a familiar sight around Oldham.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The steered wheels often angled out at the top as they were turned. I find exaggerating the effect on a model makes them look really good,

Thanks for the info on the steering geometry Heather, it's something I probably observed but never noted. Model duly amended.... hopefully it looks better....:)
AA 012.jpg
AA 013.jpg

I've started on the Bedford by removing the moulded Opel Blitz badge from the radiator grille with a micro saw.
Bedford 002.jpg
Bedford 003.jpg