Yorky D's Küchentisch - DB V100... eins zwei drei

AJC

Western Thunderer
Chimneys seem to have been a regular mod' - I've seen the concrete castings double-stacked, jacked up with bricks and, like these, replaced. A weakness in the design?

Adam

Portakabin

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Next up is this Intentio flat pack - a 1970's style Portakabin.

Like the previous Intentio kits I have built this one also falls together....

PC 03.jpg

PC 04.jpg

I replaced the fold-up card corner posts with suitable Evergreen styrene angle and added the soffets from styrene strip.

PC 05.jpg

Then painting began.

The building was primed with a light grey primer then followed by several washes to give the building a used look - all Vallejo acrylics let down with water. Stone grey, black/grey and dark rust with the occasional hint of green. The frame was painted black/grey and the window frames Tamiya Flat Aluminium.

PC 11.jpg

PC 12.jpg

PC 14.jpg

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Dave, as usual, you manage to get the best out of my kits. I really like the additions of the soffit and I take that into account on the next release of the kit.

Portakabin

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
A bit more work on the Portakabin.

The building was glazed last night and today I attended to the roof.

Some styrene strip was laid around the edge of the roof to create a lip, painted with Woodland Scenics asphalt paint and whilst wet sprinkled Woodland Scenics fine soil turf. When dry I zapped it with a rattle can varnish to seal it. After this it was then dry-brushing and washes. The roof and supports are not permanently fixed yet.

PC 19.jpg

PC 15.jpg
PC 16.jpg
PC 17.jpg
PC 17a.jpg
PC 18.jpg

And finally the door....

.....I gouged out some of the MDF from the bottom then stuck a layer of paper over the door. Once this was dry I cut the paper with a knife over the gouged area pushed this in as if it had been 'kicked in'. I also attacked the door with a blunt instrument. Once completed the door was painted followed by washes and dry-brushing.

The door handle was made up from bent wire and the escutcheon plate from styrene. The sweep at the bottom of the door was made from styrene and painted with Tamiya Flat Aluminium

PC 20.jpg

The door ajar here shows the 'aluminium' sweep at the bottom of the door.

PC 22.jpg

Still to be made are the steps, window security grilles and an electrical junction box.

Portakabin

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Very nice Dave. I'm glad you mentioned security grills, particularly as the door has been kicked in....

Now with added security.... on six windows at least - I ran out of mesh and will have to trawl the spares box to see if I can find some more to complete the three remaining windows. Small pieces of styrene represent the security mesh fixing brackets.

Quite simply the window security mesh was made up from 0.9mm brass wire and mesh soldered together. The Portakabin logo was a t'interweb download and scaled.

PC 24.jpg
PC 25.jpg

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Now with added security.... on six windows at least - I ran out of mesh and will have to trawl the spares box to see if I can find some more to complete the three remaining windows. Small pieces of styrene represent the security mesh fixing brackets.

Quite simply the window security mesh was made up from 0.9mm brass wire and mesh soldered together. The Portakabin logo was a t'interweb download and scaled.

View attachment 120350
View attachment 120351

I used a small piece of net curtain to recreate mesh on a model I made some years ago. Just painted it rusty brown and worked a treat. Probably best you don't take a snip out of the nets you've got hanging up in your house though!

Mike

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I used a small piece of net curtain to recreate mesh on a model I made some years ago. Just painted it rusty brown and worked a treat. Probably best you don't take a snip out of the nets you've got hanging up in your house though!

Thanks for the tip - I'd never considered net curtain.

Portakabin

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Who would of thought a mundane 'wouldn't give a second glance' building would require a lot of work.

Tonight I made up a security grille for the door, made up the steps and a handrail.

PC 26.jpg
PC 29.jpg

May turn it into a NSE station diorama and paint the town red...

PC 28.jpg
Roadside station sign made up from tube and a downloaded image with a new name in the correct British Rail typeface downloaded from t'interweb. Rail Alphabet was designed by Jock Kinneir and Margaret Calvert as part of the 1964 BR modernisation. The same people who redesigned the road signs.

PC 27.jpg

AJC

Western Thunderer
Thanks Adam. The faded red is how I saw it in the NSE commuting days from Luton or Leagrave to Farringdon.

Precisely - the all over red look I associate with whizzing along the South Western mainline, 159s, electromechanical clocks and all. Very evocative. And of course still present in odd corners.

Adam

Last edited:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
By the look of .... the kicked in door your model people live in a pretty rough part of town......
I just thought it was evidence, not of a rough neighbourhood, but a hard previous life on building sites, with safety-booted builders going in the site office with their hands full of tools, plans, boxes of kit, mugs of tea, etc... ;) :)
If it was a break-in the damage would be up around the handle.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
True, Jordan. But look at the air rifle pellet scars on the station sign. Those mesh guards look as though they've only just been fitted too, otherwise the bottom of those would be kicked in as well. The contractors are clearly trying to protect something of importance. Probably their tea mugs......:D

B