7mm Yorky D's LT - The Brill Collection....

simond

Western Thunderer
a working electro-mechanical solution that relies on physical contact, harder as the scale shrinks and diminishing equally in reliability and value.

I think I’d put a reed switch under the track, and a magnet on the loco, though a light sensor is another option.

I’d avoid mechanical contact like the plague!

Atb
Simon

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Not much to see - lineside switch cabinet patterns made from scrap etch, tinned copper wire and styrene.

Signal 22.jpg

Signal 23.jpg

And primed.

Signal 24.jpg

These are my photos with the cabinets highlighted.

Signal 26.jpg

Signal 27.jpg

Signal 28.jpg

This is from CJ Allen's Steel Highway published in 1928 to illustrate the cabinets which I suspect was taken either during building of either the Watford (Met) or Stanmore branch.

576px-Colour_light_signal,_London_Underground_above_ground_(CJ_Allen,_Steel_Highway,_1928).jpg

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
I remember those shelters well - great job Dave! The concrete post and flag look great too. :thumbs:
(I have a bus & coach stop flag in my garage, funnily enough).

Regards

Dan

RT 4751

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The shelter was zapped with grey primer and painted.

Firstly with a coat of Tamiya flat aluminium followed by a wash of Vallejo steel. A further wash of darkened Vallejo steel/gunmetal mix was applied to weather the roof and underside. Once dried Tamiya flat aluminium was drybrushed to create the polished areas on the poles/crossbars where passengers have leaned against them.

A black/gunmetal mix was used around the joins and floor mounting plates.

Bus shelter 4.jpg
Bus shelter 5.jpg
Bus shelter 6.jpg

L.94

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I've finally installed a decoder and a speaker into L.94. Ripped out the existing circuit board and replaced it with an ESU decoder which sits in the bottom of the boiler.
040.jpg

A hole was drilled into the end block and tapped for M2.5 to mount the speaker.
041.jpg
042.jpg

The opportunity was taken to weather the chassis, remove the buffer beam steam heat and vacuum fittings and make up and fit some cab weather sheets (mainly to keep the smoke out of the cab when working engineering trains in the Met tunnels). The latter made from patches cut from a nitrile glove. I have a box of these for use when I'm working on the car - stops my hands from becoming too dirty when handling oily and greasy parts.

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

AJC

Western Thunderer
That's just gorgeous, Dave - I especially like the patina on the tank side but it seems unreasonable to pull out a 'best bit' as the whole thing hangs together so brilliantly.

Adam

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
That's just gorgeous, Dave - I especially like the patina on the tank side but it seems unreasonable to pull out a 'best bit' as the whole thing hangs together so brilliantly.

Thanks Adam - just trying to recreate the last days of LT steam.

Reactions: AJC

Western Thunderer
I too remember those LT austerity shelters, were always fun to use as a sort of gymnastic set of bars when a kid.

I saw one in Sandridge, Hertfordshire only yesterday, so they are still around.

Great loco's too.

Tony