7mm Yorky D's LT - The Brill Collection....

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The other building I've knocked up over the weekend is this goods shed based on Wotton on the Brill branch.

Again, it's built of wood and among the items yet to construct are the rear panels and a pair of sliding doors for the road side. Prior to construction most of the timber was stained with burnt umber oil paint and white spirit. There will be further black/brown washes to make the external wood darker to appear creosoted. From photographs it appears it was painted white internally to keep it light. And it will have a tin roof....

Road side
GS 01.jpg

Rail sideGS 02.jpg

GS 03.jpg

Road side GS 08.jpg

Rail sideGS 09.jpg

GS 10.jpg

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Thanks for pointing out the schoolboy spelling error.

I've updated it to reflect the correct Wotton, not to be confused with Wootton in Bedfordshire, Northants and others :).

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Neat building and unusual too. This kind of structure is similar to that found on some Cambrian light byeways. North American modellers have a way of treating models of unpainted wooden buildings (presumably creosoted). PhilH of this forum did one only recently and it looked very effective.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Neat building and unusual too. This kind of structure is similar to that found on some Cambrian light byeways. North American modellers have a way of treating models of unpainted wooden buildings (presumably creosoted). PhilH of this forum did one only recently and it looked very effective.

Thanks Larry. I believe the North American modellers tend to use black or a dark brown ink diluted with IPA (not the Greene King variety :)).

As this good shed was built on the Duke of Buckingham's estate I would assume it was built by local tradesmen who built barns locally.