Z6/Y11 'Simplex' locos - line diagrams?

flexible_coupling

Western Thunderer
There seems to be two similar looking family variants with a few big differences - the "high-cab" version (enclosed or open) appears to have a shorter 5' 6 3/4" wheelbase, and the "low-cab" version has a longer 6'6" wheelbase. On brief glance, seems that they've both got very similar motor mounting and frame construction style. More digging required.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I could stick my neck out and suggest the 40hp were 5'6" wheelbase and the 60hp were 6'6"? This ties up with the drawing references.

Have you come across this article? http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/14/Planet.htm It explains the MR&TC "SIMPLEX" and Kent Construction "PLANET" link, and the connection to later Hibberd shunter designs. Note Planet locos only went to 40hp with a 5'6" wheelbase.

decauville1126

Might be worth contacting Karlgarin as I seem to recall a post on a forum somewhere that they had some etches for the Impetus range available 'by request'.

However I appreciate that these days it's just as easy for those with cad skills to produce one-off etched sheets with the later potential spin-off of making them available as a short-run 'scratchbuild-aid' type of kit.

Hint, hint ....

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Also I'm not so sure there were many of the 60hp units made, as shortly after the option was available (1930?) the units were redesigned with an end cab (1931?). The short wheelbase units are the archetypal Simplex/Planet machine and look so much better than any longer wb units, whatever shed you plonk on top of the chassis!

Just awaiting a MR&TC Works List to get some answers.

flexible_coupling

Western Thunderer
The 40hp model with the taller cab and shorter wheelbase is settling as the subject of my interest, despite having been leaning to the 60hp version initially!

As opposed to using brass, I'm starting to think about a plastikard job based around a Slater's wagon kit - using sprung buffers, couplers, axleboxes/springs, brake linkages (to be altered) and the split-spoke wheels - and incorporating a custom Black Beetle motor bogie, which just squeezes within their wheelbase specification. The drive would be visible from the side - but I think I could deal with that. Just mulling over some options.....

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I've managed to get hold of a copy of the Motor Rail Works List, so if anyone needs info on a specific standard gauge machine pm me.

EHertsGER

Oh how I wish I could say that, Rob! :cool:

Andy - have you come across a relatively new book entitled 'The Early Years of the Motor Rail & Tram Car Company 1911 - 1931' by WJK Davies (Plateway Press)? This contains a good history of the development of the standard gauge shunters along with some nice plan/side/endG.A. drawings to scales of approx. 8 and 9mm/ft, and should definitely go on your shopping list!

I've also dug up a couple of big drawings from my cave - one a full size copy of MR&TC Co G.A. Z588 (28mm /ft) side/end elevations of the British Rail examples. It is titled 'Main Line Type Shunting Loco'. This drawing does not appear in the above book, but is the very machine you're after modelling. Also a MR&TC Co outline drwg (to 13mm/ft) of LNER 8430.

I can't recall where I got these large plans, but they are stamped copyright British Rail / Oxford Publishing, so may still be available (anyone know what happened to the OPC Plans Service?).

I'd like to express a great interest in having a couple of the industrial type locos (40 / 60hp) with basic bodywork with cast ends.

So - if we cannot get Chris Klein of Ixion excited about the prospect of producing a RTR version (and I just know it would be as successful as the Fowler infernal combustion shunter), how about a WT 'Project' Locomotive Kit in similar vein to MRJ's Wantage Tramway loco? :thumbs:

Tony

Edit - ah, see the main man from Titfield has beaten me to it! :D

I am planning a model of the Ware shunter in 4mm scale so would be grateful if I could source from you a copy of the BR shunting engine plans - costs covered, naturally. As I am in the USA a scanned copy will be fine - I can figure out the rest myself!

Best,
Marcus

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Marcus - if you look at Jim's post no. 8, a digital copy can be obtained from the NRM. They should be able to email,this to you. I would have to get the drawing to a copy shop to have it scanned as it is a big drawing, so as Jim says the NRM cost is very good and it will be better quality (the print is not great by today's standards!).

If you leave it with me I will see if I can get a reference number off the drawing so you know what to order.

Tony

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
Just found this thread. i'm hoping to build the Y11 based at Brentwood, in its BR guise as 15098 (ex LNER 8430) in gauge 3, for Lea Siding. The drawing mentioned above is Stratford Works no 25866 dated 15/1/1926. The notes state the drawing was produced to show how the loco number should be applied, but it is sufficiently detailed to produce a model when used in conjunction with photos. The Nrm reference, to be used when ordering is 1354. scanned files cost £7.50, when I bought mine.
I've attached the drawing I made from the NRM one. Having just seen Stevesopwith's drawing, mine will need a few enhancements. I've bought some sprockets from motionco. i've already contacted unklian about casting the bonnets in resin from my own patterns, and may to the same for other bits like axleboxes, springs etc.
Unfortunately, to be consistent with the rest of my stock it will use Revolution RC and a 14.4v battery pack, so there won't be any gaps in the sides, even the door will need a curtain to conceal the gubbins.

Attachments

• Y11 petrol shunter9B.pdf
    32.3 KB · Views: 45