Video 7.12 Yarmouth To Liverpool Street, 1978. Blue Diesels.

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
If you've got half an hour to spare, wot it sez in the title.

For me it gets very interesting towards the end on the viaduct at Bethnel Green and then down in the brick-lined cutting through Bishopsgate Low Level. Basilica Fields in Corporate Blue! Finally Liverpool Street Stn. before the rebuild, looking like it did in the days of steam - cavernous and grimy. Lovely!

There; me all nostalgic for blue diesels. Who'dda thunk it?

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/5493

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
The fact that no-one ever filmed Pre-Grouping, or say, Lostock Hall August 1968, or indeed any 19th or 20th Century railways with Digital video cameras suggests to me that it never will be possible.... :(

Not necessarily - one interpretation of quantum mechanics theorises that relative state formulation resolves any and all paradoxes; the act of entering the past itself becomes a quantum event, causes branching and off we pootle in an alternate timeline where all the enthusiasts on the 15 Guinea Special are all the past, present and future members of Western Thunder filming the pre-Group scene in glorious digital high def. Meanwhile back here on this twig we're stuck with orthochromatic wet plate negatives.

Bah. I wish I hadn't fixed that ruddy chameleon circuit...

JimG

Western Thunderer
Great clip! Lots of interest and detail and its 33 years ago....

Brings back memories of breakfasts on the London - Cardiff trains in the mid-70s when I was based in London and worked a lot in Cardiff - a very civilised way to travel. Probably hauled by one of these hydraulic jobbies. :)

Jim.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Not necessarily - one interpretation of quantum mechanics theorises that....

Point of order Mr. Buckjumper. I suggest that any interpretation of quantum mechaincs is more likely to be a hypothesis on the basis that proof - and hence raising the status of a hypothesis to that of a theory - may be uncertain. Or put another way, Heisenberg put the mokkers on the whole idea.

In passing, might you favour us all with a short piece on the history of jelly beans?

regards, Graham

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Great video, though I think the terms 'Norfolk Dumplings' and 'Silly Suffolkers' might abuse a number of the West Mersea group...! :D

JB.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Very nostalgic and I looked for myself to no avail. Circa 1977-78 I made the trip from Liverpool Street to Ipswich each week, out Monday on 0830 and return Friday around 04/30. Always an entertaining journey; particular memories are the mists around Manningtree and the sand trains. I did partake of breakfast occasionally - not sure what although Kippers comes to mind.

Oddest things happen on trains... when I was a student at Kings, 1969-1972, I went to the HMRS meetings in Keen House where I met Geoff Pember, subsequently I was invited to view his 7mm GER layout. One Friday afternoon I got into the London train at Ipswich and sat down in a compartment.... and the next person along the corridor was Geoff. We chatted about modelling until he got out at Colchester (I think that Geoff had moved to Clacton by that time). Anyone know what happened to Geoff's models?

Thanks for the memory Hubert.

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
:eek: Excuse me..?!? Real food..?? Isn't this video from the Era that saw the emergence of the legendary and infamous British Rail Sandwich...?!?! :confused: :D
Jordan,
When I said "real food" I meant the frying pan etc. I know the sandwiches were iffy to say the least.
Alan

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Excuse me..?!? Real food..?? Isn't this video from the Era that saw the emergence of the legendary and infamous British Rail Sandwich...

Just about... although I think that the standard of catering on trains had started to go down some years before the date of the video. I started travelling around the network in 1970 and some of the sandwiches had waves even then. However, the reason for this post is to resurrect the spectre of the "Pork Pie with mould". In the summer of 1973 I was provided with a season ticket for Reading to Bristol by "any reasonable route" and we all know what that means to a railway enthusiast. Anyhow, each evening I returned from Bristol on a train around 05/30 and, being on expenses, I sat in the Buffet and consumed a pork pie. One week the counter was manned by the same chap and he had a rather deft slight of hand as he skilfully sliced the pie and served same on the obligatory paper plate. Come Friday and I felt I had to ask... "what percentage of the margin was due to the effort of cutting the pie into four and arranging so carefully?". "Bu**er if I know" was the answer, swiftly followed by "but do you want a pie with mould on the inside?".

At the time of this story I got a train from Reading just before 0700.... and the departure was accompanied with that spine tingling roar that comes only from the twin engines of a Wezzie.

Any reasonable route? Dan will be pleased to read that somehow Westbury and Taunton came into that category although only on a Saturday.

regards, Graham

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Good film, inspired me into having a fry up for breakfast.

At the time a Brush4 on MkIIs would have been a disappointment as being all too common, looking back we were lucky to get a loco & hauled stock.

Thanks for posting the link.

Dave

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
Good film, inspired me into having a fry up for breakfast.

At the time a Brush4 on MkIIs would have been a disappointment as being all too common, looking back we were lucky to get a loco & hauled stock.

Dave

We still get loco and hauled stock - at least in one direction!

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Yes I believe some of his stock went to Malcolm, a superb 7mm modeller of the London and Chatham, who sadly passed away suddenly in early 2010. Some of Geoff's diorama pieces went to the GERS museum at North Woolwich, the contents of which were dispersed when the museum closed in 2008. I don't know their current whereabouts.