7mm , Blackney, A Glimpse of the Forest

Alan

Western Thunderer
I first saw that type of floodlight being used by Mike Wild editor of Hornby mag, when taking photos of a friend's layout

Alan

Western Thunderer
Not posted for a couple of weeks as nothing was happening to the railway, however having received a Slaters ex-LNER/BR brake van for my birthday last week, I am in the middle of putting it together. Not a kit I would recommend for a total beginner. There appears to be no instructions or diagrams as to how the brake gear actually goes together , luckily it wont be seen very clearly behind the footboards and I don't run my stock upside down. I've had to look at other kit instructions as to how the wheels and W irons go to together. I'll show photos of progress later.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Not posted for a couple of weeks as nothing was happening to the railway, however having received a Slaters ex-LNER/BR brake van for my birthday last week, I am in the middle of putting it together. Not a kit I would recommend for a total beginner. There appears to be no instructions or diagrams as to how the brake gear actually goes together , luckily it wont be seen very clearly behind the footboards and I don't run my stock upside down. I've had to look at other kit instructions as to how the wheels and W irons go to together. I'll show photos of progress later.

Does this help?

IMG_20210125_151916_1.jpg IMG_20210125_151922_1.jpg IMG_20210125_151954_1.jpg

Alan

Western Thunderer
Progress has been made on the Brake van. I can't say I was impressed with the lack of guidance on the brake gear supplied by Slaters. Although I made some effort at putting it on after looking at loads of photos on Paul Bartlett site and not really seeing any thing under the chassis from side views. I decided to leave what I had done alone. As I said in my last post it is a layout wagon, not a showcase one (I don't think I could ever do that), and I don't run my wagons upside down. Rather like my art teacher said. Paint or draw (or in this case model) what you can see, not what you know is there.

The chassis

The body bits

The body roughly placed on the chassis

Still much to do, footboard brackets and footboards, hand rails. painting and weathering. I'm taking it slowly to make the build last.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Ahh but we in Australia can see it Allan .
I'll just slip out the door now shall i .
Cheers Paul

Alan

Western Thunderer
More work done on the brake van. Steps added and chassis painted, Body is still not stuck together or stuck to chassis but handrails have been added. When stuck together the body and handrails will be painted and the handrail on the ballast ends added.

Apologises for the photos. I couldn't be a***d to get the tripod out. But the do show, hopefully, what it will look like when finished, when I will take some better snaps.

Alan

Western Thunderer
Work on the brake van has continued body now stuck to the chassis handrails have been added on the ballast blocks at either end, roof still needs to be fixed, guard to be added, transfers (hopefully arriving tomorrow) need to be put on, and then the fun of weathering it.

A couple of photos.

Alan

Western Thunderer
Transfers did arrive yesterday, Slater's service is excellent, so they were applied and 6 hrs later I went for the weathering. Looking at the photos the roof edges might need a little work. The guard (Modelu) was put in this morning and roof glued on.

On the whole I'm reasonably pleased with it.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
A small comment, if I may, about the ends. The flat ends were concrete blocks to add ballast weight, and were rarely painted. There was a flat steel strip around the outside edges that was painted, but the top would generally be weathered concrete.

That said, what you have done doesn’t detract from a splendid build. I built one of these kits as an unfitted van many years ago, and was very happy with it.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Very nice Alan, I dropped a few hints for one of those kits just before fathers day but ended up with a Dapol version.

Geoff

Alan

Western Thunderer
Thanks Heather, all the photos I looked at including Paul Bartlett's site were taken at track level so The top of the ballast weights could not be seen, As I have to smooth (I thought I'd done It) the roof edge I might as well repaint the weights and get it right.

Alan

Western Thunderer
I must admit I've never been over happy with the name of the layout as Blakeney never had a passenger station, indeed it had one siding with a goods shed. And as the scenery developed and I was using bits from all over the Forest of Dean it became more of a problem for me. So after much thought over many weeks I decided to change the name to BLACKNEY, why Blackney, well the stream that ran alongside part of the line was known as Blackpool Brook, so combining that with Blakeney gave me the new name.

cbrailways

Western Thunderer
Well done. But have you submitted all the 'change' paperwork to the authorities and arranged for the Sectional Appendix etc. to be updated......