Prototype A Day out at Didcot (DRC) 29-07-2018

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi All, I though some of you may like to see the photos I took on a recent visit to Didcot.
This was the annual visit organised by Drew Fermor for members of the RMWeb Forum on a not a nice day for taking photographs outside although it did brighten up after 3pm.

Didcot 'DRC' 29-07-18

I've added a couple of more photos that I took as we were leaving by the entrance, these were taken on my Android smart phone, the quality is very good for a phone.

Didcot Site Map.jpg
101720_1 V14 Mink A.jpg 101720_2 V14 Mink A.jpg

To make a weekend of it on the Saturday I went to the Pendon Musuem for the first time, so here's a flavour of what you can see there. Again this was taken on my phone through glass.
IMG_20180728_142812973.jpg
Dave

Last edited:

Western Thunderer
Would I be right in thinking the GW van is the 9' wheelbase version that can be made from the Peco (ex-Websters) O gauge kit when the Peco vacuum brake gear kit is added?
I have one and it's always good to have prototype pics, so thanks for posting.
Tony

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi Tony

The photo is of a V14 dia. and yes it is a 9' wb and 16' over headstocks. There was a magazine article on the Peco van kits and how to converet them into several different models, if you haven't got a copy them PM me and I'll send you a copy.

If you you click on this link GWS Didcot it will take you to 48 photos that I took of the rolling stock at Didcot.

Dave

flexible_coupling

Western Thunderer
Hopefully when I get to the UK next year, they might have 4079 in steam! I visited September last year on an awful rainy day, and one of the lovely volunteers let the poor Australian tourist (me!) sneak into the back shed and take a peek.

P A D

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave,
I've only just spotted your photos taken at Didcot in July. Good to see 4144 is back together again. Last time I was there to photograph the large prairies it was in bits and I had to make do with the 61XX. I'd photographed it previously to assist with my build of the Scorpio kit and had returned for some more.
Here are couple photos of the completed model before and after painting.
post-13414-0-09213400-1463952389.jpg
post-13414-0-08711700-1466768608.jpg
Not a bad kit of you are prepared to put in some extra effort. The front cab sides and roof need some correcting and some of the castings were upgraded with better items. Here's a link to the build on RMWeb.
Scorpio 7mm 51XX by PAD - Kitbuilding & Scratchbuilding

Cheers,
Peter