A further question, now on the the Slaters Compensated W Iron packs

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
A good morning to all you learned Southern guru's

As a future project I would like to build an NER V3 "Shildon" Brake van and was wondering if the Slaters SECR Bake van might make a decent starting point. Can anyone tell me the wheelbase or any other known dimension so that I can attempt to get an idea of potential suitability?

The drawing below is a snip from the drawings in Ian G Sadler's book NER Brake vans and is purely used to illustrate what I am trying to achieve.

V3 Shildon van drawing side view snip.jpg

This is the Slaters SECR van that I am talking about (image linked from Slaters site) again for illustrative purposes

7043.jpg

Any assistance will be gratefully received.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Seeing as you have the drawing (is there an end view to accompany it?), I would build the Shildon van from scratch. The SE&CR van has a steel underframe with the body on top of it and probably the wrong axleboxes and certainly the wrong springs. The NER van has the body overlapping the chassis as was usual with wooden underframes. The body sides are probably lower to accommodate a lookout on the roof. Go on Rob; go for it in Plastikard. You could build an accurate model in half the time it takes to 'modifiy' something and end up with a compromise. :)

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob
Dimensions from Tatlow Vol 2

Length over buffers 21' 6"
Length over headstocks 18' 0"
Wheelbase 11' 6"
Buffer height 3' 6"
Wheel dia 3' 6"
Max height 12' 3 1/2"
Height to roof 10' 11 5/8"
Extreme width 7' 9 1/2"
Width over body 7' 6"

Hope that helps
Martin

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob
Dimensions from Tatlow Vol 2

Length over buffers 21' 6"
Length over headstocks 18' 0"
Wheelbase 11' 6"
Buffer height 3' 6"
Wheel dia 3' 6"
Max height 12' 3 1/2"
Height to roof 10' 11 5/8"
Extreme width 7' 9 1/2"
Width over body 7' 6"

Hope that helps
Martin

The SE&CR van is shorter by a fair bit (in the scheme of things) in the wheelbase - it's 10', but the dimensions are otherwise similar overall. The width over the body sheeting is the same, as is the measurement over headstocks and the height to roof is stated as 3/8" lower than the NER van. Dimensions from the drawing in SR Wagons vol. 3, fig. 56.

Adam

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks Gents, It's much appreciated

It looks like it has possibilities, but Martin's measurements will prove equally useful should I take up Larry's suggestion and build it from scratch.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I am still pursuing possibilities,

Tom Burnham (@tomburnham ) of this parish kindly pointed me at NER days, who do a kit for this van, which I am told is buildable without many issues (I have a few of Steve's kits and some of them need work!). Although the etches may well be up to the job castings are not Steve's strong point so I am exploring alternatives.

A couple of day ago I found this in a kit box (along with etches under the Wagon and Carriage Works label that turned out to be Connoisseur in origin which was an unexpected bonus).

This is the 71554 RCH Wagon compensation unit

IMG_0001.JPG

Looking at the other options on the Slaters site they list:
71551 MR Van Type for 3'7" dia. Wheels, complete with passenger type springs, 'J'Hangers and oil boxes

My question is, does anyone have one of these sets tucked away that they could take a photo of so that I can see the J Hangers/springs before making any kind of decision which route I may go down?

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Looking at the other options on the Slaters site they list:
71551 MR Van Type for 3'7" dia. Wheels, complete with passenger type springs, 'J'Hangers and oil boxes

My question is, does anyone have one of these sets tucked away that they could take a photo of so that I can see the J Hangers/springs before making any kind of decision which route I may go down?
Like this -
slaters spring.jpg

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Rob,
I might be able to help Very shortly I will have a set of NER sprung axle boxes and springs as a set for our NER stock. They are also designed to be fitted to Jim's NER V1/3 brake van, so they will be good for your project.
Marc

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
They sound perfect Marc, Look forward to seeing them.
I am sure that there is a market out there for NER parts to assist builders either scratch build or improve other suppliers kits.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
They are with the etchers so I'm hopeful of having them in my hand by the end of March. The Axle box/Springs are already done as these were done for the last of the open fish trucks and the F4 vent vans.

Marc