7mm A Lincolnshire conceit

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The 'rust' will be brake dust, oil and general dirt accumulated and hardened over the years.

Of course when it comes to track regularly traversed and stood on by diesels it would be more like this. This is one of my 1982 photos of Derby.

Derby 1982.jpg

Also absent is the yellow warning line down the platform. This serves mainly to keep passengers behind the line for: high speed passing trains; keep the area clear so the guard/conductor/driver can have an unobstructed view down the length of the train and to aid the visually impaired where there are no tactile (knobbly) paving slabs set back from the platform edge. I have noticed today around my area (Leeds/Skipton) the yellow line has been replaced by tactile paving slabs.

Years ago when I worked for Thameslink, as part of the many training courses we learnt that yellow was one of the last colours which could be seen by individuals with degrading vision and visual impairements. Added to which yellow is a warning colour in nature for many venomous creatures such as wasps, hornets, frogs and snakes.

DougT

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave. The yellow line requirements changed after a 2018 RSSB research project and the principle reason they are there now is to warn passengers of the edge of the platform, with the enhanced reason being aerodynamic effects of passing trains (passenger >100mph, Freight >45mph). The incongruity at this particular 'platform' is that the two lines (for P2 on the down fast) and the non-used edge of the bay is that they get within about 50cm of each other with a lampost between them!

I guess for those of us brought up on the high-speed reasoning it still looks very odd to see a yellow line on a bay platform!

*cracking picture btw - that just oozes atmosphere!

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The one and only time I alighted at Grantham was from this East Coast train on 01/03/2014 (after re-nationalisation following the National Express 2009 franchise default).

The warning area here appears to be demarked by a white ribbed line and a hatched area. It may well be a yellow line now.

225 2.jpg