A spot of G3

Mike W

Western Thunderer
There were a couple of model dockyard makers who might have produced this. Remember, it is VERY old, so not bad for a working live steam model.

Mike

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
I like the light and shade in the final photo, but my favourite loco has to be the careworn example on the table. It looks a bit SECR round the spashers, but beyond that I've no idea what it is.
It does just ooze character doesn't it :) There was some documentation with it I didn't photograph, but even that acknowledged that the loco wasn't based on a particular prototype. If I tie up with the owner again I'll ask him some more details. The general consensus was that it was a D class loco melded with a bit of french fancy, agreeing with Adrian above.
Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Another GTG in the sunshine today, its been a good month for them :)
Theres a bit more scenery on this one, this is the main station.

FM1 Sidings.jpg

Due to the slope of the garden the firing up area was put down at a lower level to allow standing room.

FM2 Firing Up Area.jpg

There is a long link line that runs through the shed, then curves and climbs around the outside before joining up with the main circuit.

FM3 Route up to main circuit.jpg

On the other side from the main station area is a second station. The line has two passing loops so that two engines can run at the same time in the same direction. If one needs to stop for water etc, then it can be laid up in a loop and let the other engine continue on their way. Its pragmatic way to still have two engines running on a single line and in practice works out well.

FM4 The other side.jpg

There were a good selection of engines again, some of which I managed to capture.
A NER Tender loco

FM5 NER Tender Loco.jpg

A gorgeous little railmotor, fashioned from bits of an Accucraft Edrig up front and a scratchbuilt coach body at the rear.

FM6 Gorgeous little rail motor.jpg

FM7 Gorgeous little rail motor2.jpg

A GRS O2 engine stops in the main station

FM8 An O2 in the station.jpg

A coal fired 4F on the goods

FM9 4F on goods.jpg

I got lucky and spent the best part of an hour running the hosts Dee engine, shown here raising steam

FM10 Lucky Boy.jpg

A Battle of Britain followed after me

FM11 BoB Viaduct.jpg

Whilst a 45xx came in for a steam test and a quick run round.

FM12 45xx.jpg

It was another good day, I met a few new faces and have an invite to go even further afield to another GTG in a couple of weeks time. Unfortunately my plans for a G3 loco didn't come to fruition so there will be a small hiatus whilst I try and sort something else out. Fortunately I have been able to pass on the coaches I bought so I am back to square 1. The next GTG is dual gauge and the host is OK with me taking something G1 down to run - it'll be fun seeing just how small it looks against the G3 engines in the shed :)

Steve

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I'm really impressed with the layout.

And is the BoB "66 Squadron"? I'm guessing from the absence of a badge. I was anticipating being the first builder of 34110 (albeit in 7mm) but it looks as though I've been beaten to it.

Guess what this Avatar is......

Brian

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Length wise JB, I don't think you get much change out of three feet :)

Well identified Brian, the BoB is '66 Squadron' :) It was scaled up from a 4mm drawing and once the outline had been established, the builder just worked out where everything would fit and went from there. He's very quiet, very unassuming and very talented - and boy can he make a loco with a decent exhaust beat!

Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Not many trains to show from a couple of weekends ago, partly because they have all featured here recently, but mainly because I was blown away by the railway itself and thats what I took photos of :) It was built by hand over a period of about three years and was designed as dual gauge (G1 and G3) track which also could not dominate the garden to support the hosts love of gardening in general. The trackwork is all built from wooden sleepers and individual chairs

Pointwork.jpg

The hosts main love was building bridges and he got a fair few in :) If we start a circuit of the track, then it has to be at the main viaduct. Its stands about 4 or so feet high and has a set of steps running up one side to allow one to step over the line.

Round the line1.jpg

We then run over a plate girder bridge which covers a duck under for the fitter and / or shorter runners. The fire up bay sits behind and is at a good height for getting things prepared.

Round the line2.jpg

We round the corner to a pair of loops off the main line, one G1 and one G3 before disappearing into the tunnel

Round the line3.jpg
The exit of the tunnel leads across a pathway

Round the line4.jpg

and into another loop (dual gauge both lines)

Round the line5.jpg

It crosses another bridge

Round the line6.jpg
before arriving at a bowstring bridge. This one is counterweighted so it can be lifted out of the way with just one finger - it really is an impressive piece of work.

Round the line7.jpg

The line then continues around a reverse curve to get back to the viaduct where we started.

Round the line8.jpg

I attempted an overall view and this is about as good as I could get.

Round the line9.jpg

Its a fun circuit to run on, I spent my time playing round robin with a friends G3 14xx as there were a lot of runners to get through.

Kingscale 14xx1.jpg

We had a bit of a session getting the 14xx going, the owner had only collected it a day or so before hand and it had run once. Once we had got a lighting technique sorted and dealt with a couple of minor issues we ran it for a good hour on a rolling road before letting it out on the main circuit with some wagons behind it to try and tame its eagerness.

Kingscale 14xx2.jpg

It did did run pretty well for a new engine, some miles under its belt will see it settle down nicely.

It all a bit quiet for a couple of months in the G3 GTG world now, probably just as well as the G1 stuff ramps up, roll on summer :)

Steve