Adhesive remover

FiftyFourA

Western Thunderer
If anyone knows the answer someone here will - how to unstick parts glued with 24 hour epoxy.

I glued brass tender dummy sideframes to a whitemetal body some time ago now (don't ask why, but they are well and truly fixed!) and now need to change the sideframes to the correct type.

How to remove the frames without damaging the soldered whitemetal body ... any advice?

Peter

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
If the adhesive is old and/or low quality then boiling might work, as Warren suggests. Most of the better epoxy adhesives won't start to break down until they get to about 250C though.

Alternatively, you might try something strongly caustic, like original Nitromors paint stripper. Highly alkaline chemicals remain a chink in the armour of epoxies, although modern ones can be pretty resistant.

I'm trying to think if there's an off the shelf oxidizer that might work. Even then one suspects it would be difficult to actually get hold of in the current security environment.

Steph

FiftyFourA

Western Thunderer
Thanks guys, it worked.

Soaked in nitromotors overnight and the frames came off, with a little 'help', reasonably easily. Through washing and rinsing and left to dry.

I will put some piccies of the replacements on my 54E workbench tread shortly.

Peter