Al's late 80's/early 90's 7mm work bench

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Should that be "blending"?

Nope, definitely bending!!
Your weathering of the floor looks realistic (turbot to the LHS of the shoal), please provide details of what paints are used and in what order.

I think that "bending" is just as appopriate given the condition of the finished Turbot.

regards, Graham

I've basically followed what Ian Godfrey has done on his Hither Green Youtube Channel with a few minor tweaks. Basically just used whatever browns I had to hand, think this time I have used Humbrol 186, 70, 62 and something else (I'll check) plus a grey. Carefully stripped off all the removeable parts. Painted the deck with 186 then picked out individual planks with the other browns. Ends painted grey then get a coat of brown. The doors are then heated up with a hairdryer (Ian used a heat gun) in a small jig to try and keep the bits that slot into the wagon square, I forgot to take a picture of that earlier. Then attacked with a pair of pliers and screw drivers before scratching the sides with a knife in a crisscross downward motion. The insides of all the panels were then painted grey followed by brown, and then rubbed back with sand paper along with the ends. Once all put back together soaked in various dark washes and finally a waft of an airbrush before adding some ballast with hairspray. I did seven a while ago when they first came out so this is batch two.

YCV 23.jpg

YCV 24.jpg

YCV 25.jpg

I didn't photograph the full process last time but I am this time. No progress tonight as I've been playing in the garden!

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you for the description of painting the interior of the wagon. Intrigued by the "jig", please can you provide a photo?

regards, Graham

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Thank you for the description of painting the interior of the wagon. Intrigued by the "jig", please can you provide a photo?

regards, Graham

No problem Graham. The jig is very rudimental, simply two off cuts of plywood with a 'U' shape cut out and a couple of bolts put through it. Then heat from the rear until the part starts to become pliable then bend and deform it with some tools.

YCV 26.jpg

YCV 27.jpg

YCV 28.jpg

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
More work on the WRD this week, finally go the shell in paint. I had to go and buy some more primer as my order still hasn't turned up. The front is still loose allowing some of the pictures below, and so is the roof as I am going to modify it so it can be removed at exhibitions as I intend adding various bits of interior. Took it outside for some pictures as the sun is out.

WRD 6 Small.jpg

WRD 7 Small.jpg

Dapol YCV sat in the WRD, think this is my favourite of the set.

Dapol YCV 2 Small.jpg

Pail Rolley MAB:

Paul Rolley MAA MAB1 Small.jpg

Paul Rolley POA Blackadder:

Paul Rolley POA1 Small.jpg

Paul Rolley POA3 Small.jpg

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Progress is slow again with starting a new job, but an enforced weekend at home as meant so valuable modelling time has become available. So some more work done on the second back of Dapol YCV Turbots. The first one is nearly ready to go to Cam for a final blast with an air brush and the others aren't far behind, renumbering done and now varnish is drying before starting to put them back together and start the weathering proper. The problem I am having is remembering what I did with the last ones. Original batch on the right and the new WIP on the left.

YCV 32.jpg

YCV 29.jpg

YCV 30.jpg

YCV 31.jpg

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
This week, in between continuing with the Turbots, I have made a start on a second HRA. Dave from Skytrex managed to find some more HTA bits which got handed over at Doncaster. Still need the hoppers and bogies, but the body is now shortened and in one piece, next up filler. Dave is potentially looking to re-release his HTA kit once he has redone some of the master and may well do the HRA as well once I've modified a set of parts for him.

HRA 6.jpg

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
That’s nice. You need a few weeds and rubbish, then it will be perfect.

Ta Phil, Its only staged, it'll have more details and bits once in situ properly. The sheet of cobbles will be going under the KS designs bridge with the pub you did me opening out onto it. The layout we started is being re-envisaged so watch this space!!

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
This week I have been mostly....... trying to get stuff off the WB. These three Dogfish have been my main priority this week in between Turbots (which are also now well on the way). I seem to have found some motivation again finally! All started as black pre TOPs versions. One completely re-painted and the other two renumbered and weathered. Still a little bit to do but I am happy with them.

Dogfish 1.jpg

Dogfish 6.jpg

Dogfish 9.jpg