Al's late 80's/early 90's 7mm work bench

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
If they carry ballast then a good all round dust covering should complete the weathering. Except the areas wiped clean - grab handles (irons), locks, etc.

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Having seen someone else's progress on an Easybuild DMU on another forum has prompted me to go back to my 101. It stalled some time ago and many other things have been prioritised but I really want to get this one done. So a bit more research and I have started the interiors. Seats bent up, glued and painted:

101C.jpg

101D.jpg

101E.jpg

Partitions & false floors measured and cut. I need to work out how best to do the bulk head into the Guards compartment.:

101F.jpg

Corridor connections, exhaust stacks and Coolant fillers added, the body's are now just about ready for a wash and primer. I just need to add another spacer between the doors in the vestibules. I have glued a nut to them ready to fix the body's to the chassis so once this is dry I will fit them. Wash & Primer may well be a Christmas treat!

101G.jpg

I'm also working on another wagon, but that will appear when done as its for the MIOG website again. Really hope to have it done over the Christmas break even if its just the build.

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
After a good wash and scrub first thing (only lost two roof vents!), then a good walk while they dried. The bodies have had a first coat of primer. Second coat now drying in the then they will get inspected. Not looking too bad for a first pass.

IMG_4113.jpg

Also been working on the underframes. I really need to find a decent picture of the Fuel tanks or the underframe of one someone has done as I think they need doubling up. The other issue I have is I can't suss how the cab desk should look, which way round should the support be?

IMG_4115.jpg

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
There's been steady progress on the 101. Bodies are ostensibly complete, a few more bits to add but that will be after painting now. Underframes are continuing, this morning has involved bending up the exhaust runs but all that now remains is to fit the gear box and final drive to one chassis. Other than that the last bits to do on the chassis is the sole bar foot steps and the bottom part of the exhaust stacks, yesterday I had all four, now I can only find one so may have to bend some new ones.

101K.jpg

101O.jpg

101P.jpg

Progress has also turned to the interiors with the centre section of both saloons now ready to be populated.

101M.jpg

101N.jpg
Tomorrow will hopefully see the last bits of the chassis finished and I can crack on with the internals and finishing off a few bits on the bogies. Considering I stated this build 3/4 years ago it will be (bar paint) be just about complete by the end of the year. See how tomorrow goes.

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Not a massive amount of progress this week as I am now back at work. However, the chassis are now painted black with some detail painted in and some weathering started. They won't get fully weathered until everything is together, but engine/heater/exhausts have all had a little dry brushing with various shades of browns and a charcoal.

101Q.jpg

101R.jpg

Further progress on the interior sections which are nearly done. I am missing the bulkhead that goes into the brake compartment but there is one on the way and I need to finish the cab interior but these bits are easily added later. I have some cheap passengers to add but these will get a prime and a better paint job before I add them. I am rather please with how these have turned out, pretty much how I remember them.

101S.jpg

101T.jpg

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Hi Al

This is looking great, the best one I have seen. The glazing looks a nightmare though ?

I'm not surprised this has taken 3 to 4 years, I'm definitely waiting for a ready to run one.

Which livery is this going to be ?

Richard

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Hi Al

This is looking great, the best one I have seen. The glazing looks a nightmare though ?

I'm not surprised this has taken 3 to 4 years, I'm definitely waiting for a ready to run one.

Which livery is this going to be ?

Richard

I don't think I will bother with the internal glazing, I had thought about it but I don't think you'll notice its missing. External shouldn't be too bad. Master plan is it will be SPTE 101686. My painter is just waiting a paint delivery and I am waiting a response on transfers. Not sure we will see a rtr one for a while, I think both Heljan and Dapol will wait to see how their 117 and 121/122 offerings fair first. I just hope this looks the part when its finished.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Al

SPTE is bright orange if I recall correctly, it will definitely look the part.

Yes it will be a few years before there is one and to be honest I would be equally happy with a Cravens or a Derby lightweight, so I don't think it will be too long before I have one and certainly before I could build one !

Richard

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Yep, orange and black. There is always the Bachman Brassworks ones if you can lay your hands on one. Still need painting though.

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Not been much progress here for a while. There are a number of wagons on going wo of which I desperately need to finish. Strange how you get stuff so close to the finish line but can't quite find the motivation to pull it all together! On minor item that the last bits needed arrive last week was one on Jason Lee-Hannant's wheel skates. These have been modified with Steel axles, Brass Bearings and N gauge wheels. Its just about there but will need a bit of modification as getting the back to backs right on all three axles with the bearings in place needs the cradle opening out a little. They are not perfect but this was the test bed! I have got a couple more to do but will need to get some bearings as I have used them on both the inside and outside frames (8 per wheel skate) but I will need to place a wheel order fairly soo so will get some extra bearings.

Wheel Skate 1.jpg
Wheel Skate 2.jpg
Wheel Skate 3.jpg

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
This last week or so I have found a little motivation. I think as I am doing a couple of things on the side that are items I particularly want rather than building to write up for reviews. A couple of evenings work and a couple of hours this morning have helped move a few bits on including making a start on these two items.

First up a GJH plant VGA, I have been unsure about this kit for a while, ideally want a few VGA@s but wasn't totally convinced about the shape. Well I needed some buffers off Graham so figured I would give it a go. Its actually not too bad and goes together quite nicely. Once I had got it together I noted the sides we're a little more bowed than I thought so it has been in a bowl of hot water this morning and pulled the sides in a bit. This pic was taken before this mornings procedure. Next up will be to fill and file some of the gaps and fit handrails, then another wash before paint. Should have this done in the next couple of weeks all being well.

VGA1.jpg

Next up something I have been eyeing up for some time. Peter Clark does some very nice DMU kits and the 156 has been on the cards for some time but has been on the back burner waiting a few parts. A few weeks back I dropped Pete an email to see what the current situation was. He'd got most of the parts only missing a couple of bits. So as I am still working from home (I can't remember the last time I filled the my car with fuel) I decided to treat myself to another DMU. Once painted the 101 won't take much to finish off now. So here is the start of the 156, this may take a while! The cab in the second picture is only slotted in as I am sure there are some more parts to solder in before fixing the resin in place.

IMG_4395.jpg
IMG_4394.jpg

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Not a lot of progress on the 7mm stuff this week, I have been working on some HO buts though. A nice surprise today were these picture's Cam sent me. He's got the first coat of orange on the 101 so I suppose I had best get the chassis and lighting circuits sorted. No idea what I am doing there though!

101U.jpg

101W.jpg

101V.jpg

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Cam's got some more orange on the 101 this afternoon:

101Z.jpg

He's also given my Turbots a dusting with his airbrush just to tie everything together. I was dead pleased with these last year when I did them but this looks to have just finished them off. We just need to finish building a layout to run them on.

YCV 17.jpg

YCV 18.jpg

YCV 19.jpg