An idea for OO/EM check rails

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
Whilst building a French prototype turnout in HO, I was wondering how I could make close to scale check rails, i.e. maintain as narrower a gap between the the stock rail and check rail as possible and allow for varying back to back dimensions. I came up with the idea of a flexible check rail made of plasticard with just the outer check rail chairs glued to the sleepers, allowing invisible movement of the rail as locos and stock passed through. This was successful. However, French check rails on older track lend themselves to this method as they are essentially a longitudinal upside down "L" shape. British bullhead and flat bottom rail would be more of a challenge, but could be represented in dock and tram track as only the upper running surface would be visible. Alternatively, actual rail could be utilised. The road/infill surface would be made from thin rubber foam or some other flexible material suitably painted. The plasticard or rail would be glued to the foam outer edges and the foam itself to the track bed. All a bit Heath Robinson I know, but is definitely a possibility for those who do not model in P4 or S7. I will be experimenting with this myself soon and will post some photos.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Simon,
Surely, a check rail which can easily move to accommodate different back-to-back dimensions cannot guide the wheels across the crossing, so rather negates the whole purpose of check rails?
Dave.

simond

Western Thunderer
Provided it can assert more force on the wheel than is necessary to guide the vehicle, I see no reason why a sprung checkrail shouldn’t work fine.

of course it has to assert less force than would be required to hurf your fully lined pride & joy into the cess…

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
Simon,
Surely, a check rail which can easily move to accommodate different back-to-back dimensions cannot guide the wheels across the crossing, so rather negates the whole purpose of check rails?
Dave.

Hello Dave,

It really depends on the how well your points are built; you can run stock through the crossing vee without check rails. My HO point worked perfectly well without them. Also, the ends of the HO check rails were anchored, slightly wide to ease the wheels through. My main proposal though is check rails in the road, made of plasticard to protect the backs of the wheels.