Antipodal in the UK: a brake with a past

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Shows that the simplest, yet no less fiddlier, solutions are usually the best, Jan. Keep going!

Thanks @jonte
This was a last throw of the dice. Here’s my reject pile - I tried with plasticard, first (I try a different route in the future if I can run to one of those mats identified by @Matt.S.). But the glueing proved too much of a hurdle…..

748A7CCD-357B-4958-8DB9-E33811918C46.jpeg
Cheers
Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
With Knobs On
An upgrade on the 2007 version - Alan Gibson short handrail knobs. 12 per side, in 4 runs. Including two with right angle bends… This one took me an hour… There were some holes in the kit for handrails, but not all. So it was a couple of hours of marking and twiddling with a 0.85 mm drill to get all the holes done.

E9272397-CDD1-490E-BC93-E89665B0666C.jpeg
0.4 mm brass wire for the rails themselves. I’ve used Zap CA applied with a sharpened cocktail stick to secure the rail to the knobs. They are over large, but I’m hoping once they’re painted… or I might try dipping them in blackening solution.
More tomorrow. Maybe!

Don’t ask me how the guard is going to get the sliding door past them…

Cheers

Jan

jonte

Western Thunderer
With Knobs On
An upgrade on the 2007 version - Alan Gibson short handrail knobs. 12 per side, in 4 runs. Including two with right angle bends… This one took me an hour… There were some holes in the kit for handrails, but not all. So it was a couple of hours of marking and twiddling with a 0.85 mm drill to get all the holes done.

View attachment 169457
0.4 mm brass wire for the rails themselves. I’ve used Zap CA applied with a sharpened cocktail stick to secure the rail to the knobs. They are over large, but I’m hoping once they’re painted… or I might try dipping them in blackening solution.
More tomorrow. Maybe!

Don’t ask me how the guard is going to get the sliding door past them…

Cheers

Jan
Perhaps he’s ‘barred’…….:oops:

With all this extra detail and all your other enhancements, Jan, I doubt an observer would even notice.

jonte

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Perhaps he’s ‘barred’…….:oops:

With all this extra detail and all your other enhancements, Jan, I doubt an observer would even notice.

jonte
Hi @jonte
Thank you. Maybe I should have modelled it with the doors open; but that would be opening a whole can of worms. the steel-sided version had internal sliding doors - I found this lovely photo on Flickr…

I’ve just seen that Wizard stock the Comet shoulderless variety. Maybe I should have looked before I leapt…

Thanks for your encouragement

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
A Dose Of The Runs
A delivery of more handrail knobs from Wizard, and a wet Saturday afternoon, combine to enable the completion of the handrail runs; including the tricksy corners.
9F733DA8-E5B8-4A92-8CC6-1D4C2B4DB6A4.jpeg309C8686-748E-49EC-B3FA-60E22334DB16.jpeg15AC08B1-564B-4E6F-B87F-69453D23B1A1.jpegDE9D797B-8445-43CB-8DA6-624723F70DF2.jpeg
The keen-eyed amongst you will maybe note that the handrails on two sides are different thicknesses… schoolboy error on my part; I used what was to hand in the box initially, failing to spot the thinner (0.1 mm) diameter lengths that had somehow got stuck in the corner folds of the box lid :headbang:… It was only after I’d done the one side that I saw the duplicitous glint of the proper-sized wire. As I’d already Zap CA’d the (oversized)?handrails to the knobs, I’ve no choice but to live with it. Oh well… I’m only going to see one side at a time, anyway….

The intention is to lift the glued assemblies out, and dip them in blackening fluid. Before gluing them back in….

Cheers

Jan

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
How did the sliding door get past the handrail? That has been puzzling me for quite while too - until I spotted an image that revealed the simplicity of it...

The handrail doesn't have a knob at the door end, but is supported in a tube on the door. as the door opens, the tube extends in telescopic fashion along the handrail until it reaches the limit of travel! Handrail knobs are only required to support the remainder along the bodysides.

Hope that helps

Pete.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
How did the sliding door get past the handrail? That has been puzzling me for quite while too - until I spotted an image that revealed the simplicity of it...

The handrail doesn't have a knob at the door end, but is supported in a tube on the door. as the door opens, the tube extends in telescopic fashion along the handrail until it reaches the limit of travel! Handrail knobs are only required to support the remainder along the bodysides.

Hope that helps

Pete.
Hello @Peter Insole
That’s mighty interesting, thank you. And another thing I’ve got wrong! Looking at the drawing, I see I think I can see how it works;
image.jpg
Maybe I can remove the last knob on the left and find a bit of Albion Alloy tube to replicate it…

Cheers

Jan

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
You’ve commendably and skilfully enhanced what appeared a somewhat ‘clumsy’ (if indeed you would forgive me for saying so) offering of an ‘unusual’ prototype, Jan. I can understand your slight frustration with the odd oversight, after all, you artists are never totally satisfied ;), but believe me, all I’m seeing is a top quality model, whilst picking up the odd top-tip along the way.

What’s not to like? :)

jonte

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
You’ve commendably and skilfully enhanced what appeared a somewhat ‘clumsy’ (if indeed you would forgive me for saying so) offering of an ‘unusual’ prototype, Jan. I can understand your slight frustration with the odd oversight, after all, you artists are never totally satisfied ;), but believe me, all I’m seeing is a top quality model, whilst picking up the odd top-tip along the way.

What’s not to like? :)

jonte
Hello @jonte
Thank you. As ever, I’m very grateful for your support and considerate words. I would agree that the kit is a bit duff (I put a lot of it down to age, and being spoiled rotten by more modern offerings), but I do so question the limits of my techniques - never mind my basic inability to fathom a blueprint!
27836E77-ABF4-4515-A7BC-D42FEFB67BFB.jpeg
This is the Mk2. I’ve filled the hole behind the handrail with some Tamiya putty (I would have preferred Squadron White, but my tube has age-expired, it seems), and added a bit of Albion Alloys tube to sit across the door, held with Zap CA. I just need to find a way to fix it, now: it’s way to small to drill, so I’ll probably end up making a pin to fit in the end, and drill - yet another - hole in the door itself.

Thank you again.This hill of beans is easier to climb thanks to you and other helpful (and encouraging) souls.

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Hello @jonte
Thank you. As ever, I’m very grateful for your support and considerate words. I would agree that the kit is a bit duff (I put a lot of it down to age, and being spoiled rotten by more modern offerings), but I do so question the limits of my techniques - never mind my basic inability to fathom a blueprint!
View attachment 170025
This is the Mk2. I’ve filled the hole behind the handrail with some Tamiya putty (I would have preferred Squadron White, but my tube has age-expired, it seems), and added a bit of Albion Alloys tube to sit across the door, held with Zap CA. I just need to find a way to fix it, now: it’s way to small to drill, so I’ll probably end up making a pin to fit in the end, and drill - yet another - hole in the door itself.

Thank you again.This hill of beans is easier to climb thanks to you and other helpful (and encouraging) souls.

Cheers

Jan
Quicker than I thought… something like this…
8CE57685-14B9-4463-93FF-A719D9FB3948.jpeg
… a bit of 0.2 mm wire (the same stuff that the end stanchions on the verandah were made from) in a 0.3 mm hole (the smallest drill bit I have.) I’ve drilled through the door - and the ‘window’ behind. I figure a bend in the wire on the inside will help hold it in place. That will save me more gluing on the outside… Blackening next, I think…

Cheers

Jan