Antipodal in the UK: a brake with a past

jonte

Western Thunderer
What an improvement :thumbs:

Still, I can understand your dissatisfaction, Jan, but to the uninitiated like moi, it looks the dog’s.

Jon

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Jan
Perhaps that van has had a local repair with the only;y material available which would account for the difference.

Regards
Allen
Thanks, @Allen M
That sounds like a plan! I’ll see how my eyes take to making a few thinner - single strand wire - versions before I make a decision.

Cheers

Jan
What an improvement :thumbs:

Still, I can understand your dissatisfaction, Jan, but to the uninitiated like moi, it looks the dog’s.

Jon
Hello @jonte
Thank you. I think it’s certainly an improvement. As I’m currently hiding from the sun, there may be a window of opportunity for reworking. And maybe not :)

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Resistance Is Futile
Ever have that feeling you’re your own worst enemy? You wouldn’t let it lie…

BBC9A2AC-A906-4FC0-B6CA-FB43B35F42AF.jpeg
No more. My eyes won’t take it! Consider it veranda delivered (Na diddly qua qua)

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Level Best
Heart in mouth still left hands free for a few snips at the foot of the railings, the stumps cleaned with a few swishes of a flat file.
CD86E1A7-9E94-4FCF-9C20-890879DF6673.jpeg
After that, it was a matter of tweaking and filing to enable the completed assembly to fulfil its destiny.
9CFC7D44-7D71-4B5C-96CF-6E521CD0079B.jpeg
The roof is still to be stuck down; I have a mind to make something of the interior -at least that which can be seen through the guards lookouts.

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Seven Nation Army
Things to do when you’re melting. 33 degrees in Gunnislake this afternoon. Energy levels set to stunned.

I’ve added a few guard rails to the inside of the sliding door windows. Just 10 thou Plastruct strip. They seem to be something of a feature, being painted white. The drawing has four. The end doors have seven (I may just ignore them!). These are oversize, but I console myself knowing that I did try to cut some to scale…. I really wish I’d done this when I was younger!
2EBA6B88-D453-477D-80A8-D1EDDD327441.jpeg
Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Thanks @Matt.S.
I was at Wells show yesterday - my “go to”
show every year, but couldn’t find anything smaller, so it’s going have to stay like that. Thanks for the diagram, too. I’ll have to find some way of representing the safety bar across the doorway (and presumably the verandah end, too). I’ve seen some guards vans with a lowerable ‘drawbridge’. But I haven’t seen such an arrangement for this BP.

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
I admire your dogged determination and your skills Jan. This is turning out very well.

thanks
John
Hello @John57sharp
Thank you. I’m not sure if it’s dogged determination or just pure bloodymindedness ;) :) But I find that I enjoy the process. And the flexing of what skills I have to hand. This evolution of the kit wouldn’t be possible without the knowledge and encouragement given by others, so thanks again. To you, and everyone who’ve popped in here. Yay for you all.

Cheers

Jan

Matt.S.

Western Thunderer
Thanks @Matt.S.
I was at Wells show yesterday - my “go to”
show every year, but couldn’t find anything smaller, so it’s going have to stay like that. Thanks for the diagram, too. I’ll have to find some way of representing the safety bar across the doorway (and presumably the verandah end, too). I’ve seen some guards vans with a lowerable ‘drawbridge’. But I haven’t seen such an arrangement for this BP.

Cheers

Jan
I believe that was to allow them to work with passenger stock? The safety bars are telescopic and allow you link between two cars. I'm sure someone will know better.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
I believe that was to allow them to work with passenger stock? The safety bars are telescopic and allow you link between two cars. I'm sure someone will know better.
Hi @Matt.S.
Yes. I presume they’d be used like that. I wasn’t sure if they were fixed, or put in position as and when required. Thanks for the info on the telescopic bars, too. Common sense, when I think about it…

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Barring the Doors
A short burst of inspiration this evening. For the end doors of the NZR guards van, because of the finesse requirements, I’ve gone with some clear (obvs..) plasticard, a postage label, a sharp knife, and a spacer - made from a piece of fret waste.
C95160F4-6207-41E6-B9B8-4F19EC68BB5E.jpeg
Quite fiddly, and the longer it goes on, the more anxious you are about making a mistake, but it’s turned out OK, I think. This single width will be cut in half to do both doors. Hopefully! I might try a waft of lacquer to see if that helps in keeping it in place.

Cheers

Jan

Last edited:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Hi Jan, here is a pic showing the telescopic safety bar neatly hooked out of the way on the handrail at the van end when not in use...

ps1 t nz fzz image.jpg
(Copyright image shown here for illustrative purposes only)

Sorry, I have not found views showing any kind of fall plate though. Surely there must have been something available to bridge the gap over the couplings?!

Matt.S, I wish I had been able to come across any similarly superb, large scale drawings like the one you posted when I was researching the 20ft F type vans and the D type carriages too!!

Although it is perhaps just a bit of academic interest now that "Brandbright" has changed hands and the old projects have been shelved for the foreseeable, (?) I cannot help but maintain my fascination with the subject!

Pete.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Hi Jan, here is a pic showing the telescopic safety bar neatly hooked out of the way on the handrail at the van end when not in use...

View attachment 169013
(Copyright image shown here for illustrative purposes only)

Sorry, I have not found views showing any kind of fall plate though. Surely there must have been something available to bridge the gap over the couplings?!

Matt.S, I wish I had been able to come across any similarly superb, large scale drawings like the one you posted when I was researching the 20ft F type vans and the D type carriages too!!

Although it is perhaps just a bit of academic interest now that "Brandbright" has changed hands and the old projects have been shelved for the foreseeable, (?) I cannot help but maintain my fascination with the subject!

Pete.
Hi @Peter Insole
Thanks for this; it’s a great help. I’m wondering if the fall plates (that’s what I’m calling them, because they seem similar to the ones between tender and loco…) were just on the coaching stock. Thinking about it, It wouldn’t make much sense to have them on the guards van…Interesting to see the stowage arrangement - and how far the handrails come out from the sides, too… thanks again…

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer