7mm Ashton Magna

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
This is the reason for the sale of the turntable, a BLT design set somewhere in the West Country, that I first drew up in 2014 which has gone through many tweeks and the like at intervals since then.

Ashton Magna 10.05.2022.jpg

I think that I have the signals correct, I am not sure as to whether a ground signal would be needed in the bay platform for entry into the siding or not and similarly, whether a ground signal would be needed from the siding into the bay. The gap at the end of the bay may yet be an end loading facility. The level crossing in lieu of the usual overbridge is that there would be insufficient distance between the signals and the toe of the first point if they were placed elsewhere - other than off the board altogether, in which case an overbridge would be first choice.

Each square is 6" x 6" and overall size of main board 16' x 2', wired for DCC with the points DC controlled with Tortoise motors. The buildings are a mixture of laser cut kits from varying sources and will be brick clad. I am undecided as to what form the backscene will take, I'm trying to steer away from my usual brick retaining wall.

All comments welcome,

regards

Mike

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The siding off the bay platform concerns me. Okay, so it's useful for storing a set of coaches but when the train is collected, the loco is still at the wrong end. Far better IMV to reverse this siding...

Ashton Magna 1.jpg

jonte

Western Thunderer
I’m looking forward to reading/seeing developments, Mike.

‘West Country’ screams GWR/WR, but I’m wondering whether this might be an encroachment by the SR into GWR territory; Seaton springs to mind?

Jonte

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Jonte,

I am thinking perhaps PD&SWJ territory as I have a real liking for their Hawthorn Leslie locos, mind you that also raises the problem with the V2 even more!! but on the other hand, the B4 would not look entirely out of place as they did get as far as Plymouth. I also have 34014 Budleigh Salterton to think of as well.

regards

Mike

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
I think you really need one or two traps. If you can manage a double slip as below even better, you'd only really need a single blade trap on the bay siding. Templot Boxfile available if you wish.sketchboard_2022_05_10_1318_15.png

simond

Western Thunderer
Hand-built track, Mike? in which case, make the bay entry into a tandem (with trap point) and gain yourself a few inches, maybe a wagon length?

Autocouplers or 3-links? if the latter, can you live with the goods yard at arm’s length?

Trap point at G53 or perhaps better on the loop line “north” of CR2?

I see Stephen’s on the same thought process, though I’m not keen on the slip, as it is the passenger line that needs to be protected. You will want an FPL on the entry point.

atb
Simon

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Not sure about the name!!!! Everyone will spell it Aston Magna.
Hi Paul,

More likely Aston Martin, the name is only a working title, we'll see what transpires.

Hi Stephen,

The trap point seems a good idea, might be made simpler if the siding off of the bay road was omitted. Never got on with Templot, (but thanks for the offer) tried a few times but for what I want using ready built track, AnyRail suits my needs.

Hi Simon,

I trust that you are taking things steadily and have left any decorating to the Guv. for the foreseeable future. Take care.

RTP trackwork I'm afraid, looking for the easy option. Perhaps replacing CR2 & CR3 with a three way point and a couple of traps might also be an answer.

Thanks all for your responses, I still have the trackwork in-situ on the present layout and am giving thought to just replacing the turntable board with a plain board and extending the lines across, but having doodled some ideas and not seen any lights yet, it would appear that a new layout will get built soon - what ever it is called.

regards

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
Templot…. You know it makes sense!

thanks Mike, I am taking things easy, I’m doing a couple of hours’ work each day, but from home, using email and Teams. I can drive from Saturday, so I hope to do half days next week in the office, and back to normal the week after.

Templot; track building is satisfying, and it allows you to go to 0MF, which improves running very significantly. I think I’d recommend something simple before building a tandem, with integrated trap, however.

atb
Simon

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Looking at goods train operation, the layout does not work as it stands. Your goods enters the station loop, then what? The loco has to go into the engine shed before setting back into the goods yard. The engine shed road should be the headshunt for the yard. It's going to be mighty cramped juggling the removal of empties from the shed and coal siding before putting in new arrivals.

May I suggest a siding off the loop as shown on which you can put the empties for the time being. The 'coal' road can then parallel it without loosing too much yard space.

So, the goods train enters the station platform. Loco detaches and runs into yard via the loop to shunt empties into 'my' new siding. Then loco retraces it steps and propels its train back via the platform road as far as the signalbox. Train then enters loop and, using the headshunt (ex loco shed track), it shunts the new wagons into the yard. Loco then collects empties. detaches and runs round them and awaits a road back Up the branch.

Engine sheds are attractive propositions but in this instance it is compromising operation. It would be useful to have a goods brake at each end of the goods trains otherwise there would be a lot of messing around in those cramped conditions. I find it is always the goods trains that find weaknesses in station layouts.

Single line tokens can be dropped and collected at the signalbox in its new position and the signalman has a clear view over the whole area including the points at the platform end.

Ashton Magna 3 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry,

many thanks for your latest suggestions, they have taken a bit of adjusting to get them in but here is the latest version

Ashton Magna revision 2 no engine shed 10.05.2022.jpg

I think that GS2 is no longer required as the starter from the loop is protecting the 'main line'. I have also put in a catch point in the bay siding. and also moved the main signals to the other side of the road into the space vacated by moving the signal box. The footprint of the goods shed has shrunk to create some room to allow for the additional siding and the yard hut/coal office has been re-sited. Definitely think that the level crossing should be replaced by an overbridge if only to create the break.

Please let me know what you think.

regards

Mike