Bachmann 03 Diesel

Discussion in 'G1/32' started by Thirtysecond, 4 January 2018.

1. Thirtysecond

Thirtysecond Western Thunderer

Started work on my Bachmann 03 diesel shunter. Not perfect but a very good model to start with none-the-less. Here is the cab floor and desk with extra added "bits". Not looking forward to painting the desk and still haven't determined the interior cab colour in green BR days (cream, grey or white?). The floor will be wood planked as per prototype.

The instrument panel is fixed to the cab body and goes into the recess above the desk. That, and the cab lighting, are the next jobs!

fullsizeoutput_592.jpeg

Last edited: 4 January 2018
    BrushType4, simond, chrisb and 5 others like this.
  2. richard carr

richard carr Western Thunderer

I would put my money on a cream interior, but it would soon get pretty dirty.

Richard

3. warren haywood

warren haywood Western Thunderer

Pale grey Richard

4. auld_boot

auld_boot Western Thunderer

The photo here (sadly not dated) suggests that the roof inside was a different colour to the sides.

Cabs Loco Class 01 - 20

Number Cruncher likes this.
  5. richard carr

richard carr Western Thunderer

Beg to differ on that Warren, in later life yes but not green diesel days.

Richard

warren haywood likes this.
  6. David Halfpenny

David Halfpenny Western Thunderer

Never mind the Cab, Derek, get to work on the Flowerpot!

Here's what it looks like after standing awhile - re-imagine it well greased with the exhausted engine-oil it was designed to catch (to avoid engine compartment fires from oil dripping back down the relatively thin exhaust pipe inside, as happened on the first batch of Class 04s):

Flowerpot chimney.jpg

OK, I suppose the cab matters too. You're going to have such fun with the pipework :)

In case it helps, here's a cab of a working Class 03 restored to BR Brunswick condition:

0423.jpg
    0424.jpg
    0425.jpg

0427.jpg
    So Cream is right for this particular era, but only above the waist.
    Panels below the waist are Brunswick Green, while the desk and levers are black.

I can't tell you which specimen, precisely, but I took the pictures at the Historic Shunters Trust, Rowsley in January 2009.
    Ask if you'd like full resolution.

The outside (too tight to photograph at HSY) was liveried like this - possibly the same engine photographed by two different people at a Doncaster open day in April 2010:
    800px-D2069_at_Doncaster_Works.JPG.jpeg

31-361.jpg

David 1/2d

Last edited: 4 January 2018
    Osgood likes this.
  7. David Halfpenny

Just spotted this image - I know no more about it, it may help: David 1/2d

IMG_0767.jpg

8. FiftyFourA

FiftyFourA Western Thunderer

Hi,

I drive one of these for the NRM at Locomotion and these pictures show the 'correct' colours of pale grey walls, black desk and panel and white pipes, the only thing I would question is the handbrake wheel which I think should be red. It is on ours and all of them I have seen around the country including the one at Wensleydale Railway.

Having said that those colours remain clean for very little time, even in preservation, so what it would have been like under BR ... :eek:.

Peter

9. FiftyFourA

FiftyFourA Western Thunderer

Oh, BTW, the paint easily rubs off the various control handles and the vac brake handles, how do I know ...

Peter

10. Thirtysecond

Oh well, I've gone with grey because ITS EASIER!! Being that its a ready painted model that I'm working on I just couldn't face all the masking up and risk of "leaks". Anyway I am getting there slowly and have completed painting the cab interior insert and the driver ( one of Modelu3D's excellent figures.) Now have to do all the gauges on the panel fixed to the cab interior on the main body. It will be like keyhole surgery.

Actually my recent researches suggested that the handbrake should be red so I will be repainting that.

IMG_2326.JPG

11. David Halfpenny

You've brought it to life :) David 1/2d

12. Thirtysecond

I didn't realise until I started studying these machines in detail that the "flower pot" was added to the "traffic cone" chimney simply to provide weight to the front end of the loco.

13. geoff_nicholls

geoff_nicholls Western Thunderer

According to Colin J Marsden, the original Swindon design included a copper capped chimney, but they were told by BR head office to fit a conical one. Then when there were problems with adhesion at the front end, they chose to fit the weight as a mock chimney.(though without the copper cap)

14. David Halfpenny

I'm sceptical, guys!

Here's an original early Drewry, notorious for its engine fires caused by oil dripping down the slender exhaust pipe:

25Mar2006_005.jpg

Here's the classic Class 04 with an oil-diverting traffic cone:
    04PR007.jpg
    These cones were also fitted to some of the (counterintuitively) later Class 03s, though others like this had oilcatcher flowerpots:

800px-D2069_at_Doncaster_Works.JPG.jpeg

Look at the weight of that headstock: whatever the reason for the change between a modest hollow cast iron cone and a modest hollow cast iron pot, it isn't Adhesion!

By the way, as far as I can tell, the two seem to be interchangeable:

IMG_0586a.jpg

The Class 03 certainly did have a problem related to 'adhesion', in that it was too short to operate signalling track circuits Light engine. Which is why the Must Have accessory for any mainline Mavis was a Conflat (ie an otherwise superfluous wagon present solely to short-circuit the rails):

Conflat Match.jpg

David 1/2d

BrushType4, Osgood and Brian McKenzie like this.
  15. Joe's Garage

Joe's Garage Western Thunderer

Hi David 1/2d can I ask where the picture of 03081 is taken please as it looks very H & B??
    Thanks
    Julian

16. Temeraire

Temeraire Western Thunderer

Norwich on the match-truck. Would it have strayed far?

17. David Halfpenny

I'm sorry, Julian, I don't. My file is a TIFF dated 2009, implying it came from a publication rather than the web.
    I haven't found it in any of my shunter books.

David

18. Joe's Garage

Joe's Garage Western Thunderer

Does anyone else know in the Forum?

19. graham thorp

graham thorp Active Member

Hi.

Found this history of the locomotive which lists its allocated sheds and places of work. It should help you to narrow down the possibilities.

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=2081&type=D&loco=03081

Cheers.

G

20. simon br blue

simon br blue Member

Looks like it could be Kings Lynn? Looking towards the station building (opposite direction to most photos). Often cars on the old platform and plenty of sand in the 4ft from Middleton Towers.