Giles

Western Thunderer
We deeply loved ours...... my biggest concern was that the twin diesels were 40 years old and obsolete, and the cost of re-engining her would be more than her value, and also she had Z drives, which equates to Two massive holes in the transom below the water line. The only thing that stopped her from sinking was two very large rubber waiters, which needed renewing every couple of years.
In practice, the engines were pretty reliable (they had their moments!) And I was very grateful for having two of them, but if I were ever to have another boat I would want shafts, not out-drives (in principle out-boards would be OK) so I could sleep better at nights.
We also still have a little dinghy with electric outboard which we love, for lakes, rivers etc..... slow but silent, and good for about four hours or so.

simond

Western Thunderer
Outdrives seem to me to be only marginally sillier than sticking two frighteningly expensive and quite fragile bronze castings at the lowest point of your craft. No, you’re right, they’re much worse. My Coronet had an out drive. It did deliver, but your buoyancy is dependent on a few o rings and a big gasket - the gaiters only kept the oggin out of the UJ.

If you’re accepting that you’re not going to be a sailor, then the answer is waterjets IMO, and if I were to suddenly become rich enough, I would commission a 12m boat with twin jets. I would also arrange some hydraulics that would enable her to dry out level on a beach as deep v hulls do not make for good sleeping platforms when the tide goes out. These features would enable a little bit of shallow water creeping, creek hopping, beaching, finding the places other boats fear to go.

as I’m not likely to become rich enough, suddenly or otherwise, I’m simply careful not to dry out!

I do like the electric outboard idea, currently have an old & tatty Avon 280 rib as tender with a Tohatsu 9.9hp, which is adequate for a startling turn of speed, but which is quite hard work to lift out of the lazarette, and over the side of the boat, and back again, of course. A little derrick is called for!

Giles

Western Thunderer
The joys of the electric outboard were that we kept its battery charged off the main engines, it was small and compact, never needed servicing, and was silent for an evenings creek-crawling with a bottle of wine!

I also have fond memories of Birmingham Moor St in the early 1970's!

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

If I did go for a boat, it would just be used to potter up and down the south coast, and go a few miles out, so nothing to adventurous. Probably 14’ to 16’ with a cuddy and a V hull. My friend has a Cathedral hull, it might be stable but it gets very noisy at anchor in anything other than a gentle swell. A 30hp outboard and a small back up motor like you say a Seagull will get you back eventually. The local sailing club has a secure storage area, which is not far from where we live, so at least I have not got the added worry of towing and wondering if one of the wheel bearings is about to collapse. Seen that a few times :eek:.

Martyn.

simond

Western Thunderer
I’ve got an old-ish, low hours oil-inject suzi 40 under the bench in the garage. I think that makes 7 outboards I have...
Was winterised about 25 years back, and hasn’t been fired up since.
I was going to get a 14’ rib as a bit of a toy, but never quite got round to it.

No sensible offer refused!

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
I could ask the wife, but I know what she would say ( school fees ).... But thanks for the offer..

ATB,

Martyn.

Boyblunder

Western Thunderer
Not wishing to annoy Larry by further delaying the return Moor Street I would just like to say to Martyn the best times in my life over the past 10 years have been 1) looking after my young grandsons, 2) boating and 3) model railways, mainly I that order and sometimes combining all 3 in the same day. Railway modelling has been a brilliant hobby to keep me sane during the last 12 months but the odd days and 1 week holiday I spent on my 32 year old sailing boat last summer were magic. The down side is the repairs, storage and worrying about it’s safety on shore in 50 knot winds. A very wealthy colleague who sailed, flew planes and entertained many nice ladies gave me this advice “If it flies, floats or f@$Ks rent it”. Of course I ignored him. For the first time in 20 years I didn’t sail in a single race last season, the lack of excitement easily replaced by the pleasure of sitting in the cockpit with a beer as the sun set over the Suffolk Stour.
Stour Sunset.JPG

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I am sure Larry appreciates the diversion of this thread into a marina, because nothing much is going on. After all, I left the railway room 4 months ago and must wait at least two more for a chance to continue adding scenery and playing trains.

Besides, one of the magical things about WT is how eclectic its members can be, given half a chance! Lateral thinking is, I think (!), something that can’t be taught, but experienced. I have learned so much beyond model railways while surfing these pages.

Deano747

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

If I did go for a boat, it would just be used to potter up and down the south coast, and go a few miles out, so nothing to adventurous. Probably 14’ to 16’ with a cuddy and a V hull. My friend has a Cathedral hull, it might be stable but it gets very noisy at anchor in anything other than a gentle swell. A 30hp outboard and a small back up motor like you say a Seagull will get you back eventually. The local sailing club has a secure storage area, which is not far from where we live, so at least I have not got the added worry of towing and wondering if one of the wheel bearings is about to collapse. Seen that a few times :eek:.

Martyn.
Martyn, definitely not a cathedral hull!! My best buddy and I have had many boats over many years (I was brought up on family boats, too numerous to mention) but we owned a pilot 16 with aforementioned hull and the wave slap was horrendous if you're trying to sleep. It was stable though!
We now own a modest Jeanneau Merry Fisher 695 (6.95m) and the most stable boat I've ever had. Sleeps 3 comfortably and has a small galley, fridge, heater and loo. We could go bigger but costs are logarithmic and single handed handling is easy. It also has a 160hp inboard volvo diesel with shaft drive. Ocqateau and Beneteau are essentially the same design of hull and of course smaller models available in all.
Do not touch the Quicksilver range, as they have a dangerous 'Tuck under" in heavier seas due to poor chine design! (Part of the hull)

Likewise to Simond, if you need advice just message me.

Regards, Rob.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Well, Moor Street progress is disappearing into the future. Not much chance of leaving the UK for such a frivolous pursuit as railway modelling. To be fair, while governments bicker and lives are being lost I would prefer not to be traveling.

I have taken delivery of two maroon Mk I coaches from Dapol but that is the sum total of 2021 activity. I haven’t even opened up the boxes! Maybe I should, they certainly look to be good models.

simond

Western Thunderer
Paul,

I can’t “like” but I do sympathise.

I hate to think how the boat is, and I am concerned about when we might get to see it.
Little chance of crossing the channel for a while yet.

At least you've your nice new motor house to look forward to!

keep well
Simon

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Sorry to read Moor Street is disappearing into the future Paul. Planning a new layout is an exciting time, but stalls and set-backs have a good chance of destroying the driving force.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I am safe from retail therapy because my wants have not yet hit the retailers, namely the 4-6-0 'Manor' and Thompson Pacific A2/3! Yup, gotta have one of the latter.

My pal at Northstar wanted a 4mm Collett E157 non-corridor brake compo so I have gone in with him on this to produce a short-run in etched brass. I also want a couple of Hawksworth 10-compartment non-corridor thirds in brass. So even without a layout (or baseboard currently!), there are still things to keep the modelling mind buzzing. :)

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Thinking about life and other things, the arrival of the Dapol maroon coaches set me off on a tangent. They were ordered to complete the Midlander rake made up of a number of Sidelines kits. The two Mark 1s were designed to be at the Down end of the rake, i.e. furthest from the buffers at Euston, with the BSK at the end. Clearly not for Moor Street then.

So, as I may be spending more time in the UK now retired, why not have my ex-LMS models here? And with a large garden, why not have them running outside? This then moved me to think about battery power and radio control. Could I modify a Lee Marsh Jubilee? And complete the City of Birmingham in the same way? I feel sure it’s doable. The Connoisseur 4F could be a good guinea pig for conversion, if it works then there are others. Imagine my other location of youth, Tamworth, with Derby-Birmingham crossing the Trent Valley Line! Except no Midlander would be seen there.

Better stop day dreaming, lots to do!

LarryG

Western Thunderer
It's a tough one. Us older types know what many of those cute byeways were like in steam days. The only time enthusiasts visited them was on the day before closure. Six packed coaches, the whole village on the platform to witness the last rites and everyone asking "Why is BR closing it?" I went to Delph on the 'Donkey' and there was nothing there......except on the last day! That was how most byeways were.

This is where railway modelling comes in. Find a place where one would like to be, add a loco shed, carriage sidings, run trains to a timetable snitched from a busy holiday route and hey presto. It's wor I'm doin'. :cool: