Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The only time enthusiasts visited them was on the day before closure. Six packed coaches, the whole village on the platform to witness the last rites and everyone asking "Why is BR closing it?" I went to Delph on the 'Donkey' and there was nothing there......except on the last day! That was how most byeways were.

"Why is BR closing it?" - I suspect most of the people asking this question at the time drove there to witness the last rites, etc, etc - with a few proceeding to 'chase' the train along it's route to photgraph it at it's stopping places - some possibly being unaware of their unintentional complicity.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I remember having long discussions with my stepfather about the Beeching cuts. He was an industrial "time and motion" expert, I was a loyal believer in transportation that could be improved by investment. Well, we begged to differ and I turned away from railways to something with a bit more of a solid footing - geology. It took me years to remember what I perceived as the good old days which were far from good but nonetheless interesting. These days I still find it difficult to see a pristine steam locomotive pulling a rake of coaches along a once rescued branch line become heritage railway. It simply isn't what I remember, it's a fabrication put together by very well meaning volunteers.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Paul - you are either being deliberately provocative or simply (in the nicest possible way) an old curmudgeon and denigrating the efforts of so many people. Of course preserved lines can never fully recreate the experience of the real railway of sixty years or so ago. However, are we not blessed with the opportunity to see hear and smell these machines? I'm reminded of my experiences when seeing the Vulcan, of which I had purchased a rivet or two, at air displays. I have no "in depth" interest in aviation but to see and hear that aircraft in the air was an experience I'll never forget. Its manoeuvres were not prototypical most of the time but it was a hell of a thing to see and hear. There were people visibly emotional as it flew for the last time.

As far as "recreating the experience" is concerned have you been on the Bluebell on a quiet Saturday in Spring. If you're lucky there'll be a C or O1 on the front and three or four period vehicles. It's too clean - yes - but it's the closest we'll get to authentic branch line travel. On gala days the long trains and large locos could be considered inappropriate but people enjoy them so why not?

At the other extreme you have the GCR. Fifty years in the making and with probably another fifty to go in order to reach the goal of a true main line railway. The infrastructure is as close to authentic as it can be. Passing through Swithland sidings in a Mark 1 corridor coach with a pick up freight being noisily shunted on one side and a train of minerals or an unfitted freight passing in the other direction takes me right back to the 1950s. Another example is the mail trains which are recreated, together with a description of the process, at Quorn. The educational values of being able to demonstrate in microcosm how different the railways were such a relatively short time ago gives kids the realisation of the way things move on, and it lets their grandparents utter the immortal words "when I was a lad".

I declare my hand as one of the originators of the GCR and it's a success of which I am extremely proud.

There are, of course, many other benefits, not the least of which is that to the local economy but I think I'm reading your email as suggesting that the experience of the railway of the fifties cannot be recreated. I argue that it can, even if only occasionally and that it gives many people a great deal of pleasure. We'd be much poorer without it.

Brian

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Brian

I am happy to read what you have written and I agree that a lot of blood, sweat and tears have gone into the heritage railway scene. The world would be less well off without all that hard work, dedication and, of course, money. I myself have been known to support several heritage railways and also the Patriot project, but there have been one or two not so pleasant moments at heritage railways that have put me off frequenting them. I won't go into the details.

Yes, I think I may be an old curmudgeon in the making (I am only 75!)

Paul

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul.

We can agree on one thing at least. 1946 was a bloody good year!:)) I was a curmudgeon 25 years ago - I was told so when I was working in Canada. I've just refined it a bit in the following 25 years.

I suspect every heritage railway goes through some difficult times. There seems to be a time when the amateurs have to realise that there needs to be professional input, and even the small railways are big projects. There's a skill in turning over senior staff. That can be a source of friction between management and volunteers. Proper financial control is essential and often that's where friction starts. It's entirely dependent on good communication.

If it's been an issue with a member of staff that's put you off I find that really sad. I guess that comes down to proper training, but once you send a volunteer out on their own you rely on their training being up to scratch. I know from first hand experience even at the GCR that I've had a "disagreement" with a volunteer that was used as an issue to be dealt with. The problem is that one never knows who else he may have upset - it's inevitable that you won't be the only individual so affected. If one of the railways with which you've had a bad experience is the GCR I'll be very interested.

We know these problems occur in businesses other than heritage railways, although in most businesses one is dealing with employees so it's somewhat easier for management to take control.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings, Paul.

Brian

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Goods News from France! Our grand niece, hubby and son arrived to stay for a couple of days before the new lockdown begins. All is well at the railway room with house attached. Then the visitors locked themselves out! So a locksmith had to drill out the lock and replace it. The good news is that he noted our lock and metal front door are as robust as they can be.

A quick FaceTime view of the station showed it is just we left it in early November, with a large prairie ready to cross the scissor crossing with a B Set.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I am trying hard to find my modelling mojo but with the recent dry spell there have been more pressing projects outdoors. And with still no definite word from either Government, travel to France remains a distant target, which remains a negative force behind my lack of enthusiasm for Moor Street. One of the ironies of modelling when in France is that I find the heat of the day in summer to be a little oppressive, driving us indoors. As I don't do siestas if I can help it, working in a cooler railway room comes as a relief. When in England the thought of going indoors when the sun shines simply doesn't make sense! I would have thought that winter in England would be ideal for modelling but with a new home here requiring a lot of work that has not materialized.

And a lot of this work tends to damage my far from juvenile hands, making delicate building of kits difficult.

So there we are. The mojo is out there somewhere, I am sure of it.

Meantime, I keep looking at promised RTR projects that seem to be in limbo. The Lee Marsh Castle is progressing very slowly but I have two maroon Mk I coaches to hand for the Midlander rake which just happens to be mostly located in France. They are plinthed behind an Ivatt 2MT that needs a new decoder. A nice Dapol 14xx is, however, coming soon and this could form the basis for a small garden railway using tighter radius curves than those that are obligatory for Moor Street. But that is a pipe dream for now.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The thought of going indoors when the sun is shining is certainly not my option either, so I agree with Paul there.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Shhhh! Don't tell anyone but I did some modelling yesterday on the Hall tender. My mojo was hovering over the workbench and then took off when I heard that the concrete for the Motor House will be poured next week and I have yet to finish the groundwork. But the tender remains on the workbench so there is hope.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I know there is no place for politics here but the frustrations are overpowering. It’s highly unlikely that we will visit the railway room before September so Moor Street no longer exists in my mind. If we do get to go then I will start posting again but I see no point in any more posts while the political ineptitude continues from all sides.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The best laid plans etc.

We have booked passage from Portsmouth to Ouistreham at the end of August. A flexi ticket which can be changed if needs must. But as long as the powers that be don’t move the goal posts, Moor Street may be back on the radar screen.

I can’t think of a better place to be isolated than in the railway room. My better half may not agree with that though.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Yes, Moor Street is in my sights this week. Let's see how the mojo reacts when we get there.

Fingers crossed that everything house-wise is in ok condition when you get there. Don't want to be missing Valuable Modelling Time (VMT) once you have settled.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Chris,

We have had relatives staying this past week so as long as they have done the laundry and run the vacuum cleaner all should be OK. VMT will be aplenty once we have relaxed a bit. I have to admit, though, that my 10 month old "take to France" shopping list has not been fulfilled. Just some Roket CA glue, two Dapol coaches and a pack of Peco flexible track have been packed. And all the tools for kit building remain here with all the kits that need to be finished!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Chris,

We have had relatives staying this past week so as long as they have done the laundry and run the vacuum cleaner all should be OK. VMT will be aplenty once we have relaxed a bit. I have to admit, though, that my 10 month old "take to France" shopping list has not been fulfilled. Just some Roket CA glue, two Dapol coaches and a pack of Peco flexible track have been packed. And all the tools for kit building remain here with all the kits that need to be finished!

I understand when you get there the French will have you isolating for about 4 weeks. Have read the requirements, I further understand that a train room / converted cinema room is thought to be ideal for isolating. Good luck.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
On arrival after driving a speedy crossing of France during Monday night, I opened the door of the Railway Room to find everything as I had left it, in a hurry last November 1st to beat the then announced lockdown. And what an untidy mess, as I was in the middle of scenic work on the platforms. It will only get worse as I plan to rip up the super elevated curves on the main line as they seem to be interfering with electrical pick up for some RTR locos. Before I do so, a couple more test runs are in order just to make sure.

Ten months and the whole house seems strange, not because others have stayed there but because we have been so busy on the house in England that memory has been pushed back about where certain things are stored, from sheets to pans to tools. The ongoing discoveries will no doubt include some surprises.

The main reason for being here is that we both need a rest from a hectic schedule and yesterday evening we dined at a favourite restaurant after showing our “pass sanitaires”, fortunately compatible with the NHS QR thing.

The worst part of the journey was some bad luck. Our car was assigned what turned out to be the last in line spot on the ship’s deck. So we were stuck in the immigration line for 1-1/2 hours and being last we were quizzed by a very tired immigration officer who snapped when I showed my QR of the first jab, not the second. She may have understood the logic but there is a first time for everyone to make a mistake. Vive la difference!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Morning morning.

Glad everything is ok on your arrival.

It would be a pity to remove the super-elevation IMO as it looks great. I assume that the electrical problems are down to the loco body and chassis sliding downhill along the axle and the uphill pickups no longer touching the wheels? Can this be addressed by adding spacers to reduce the slop on the axles or adjusting the pickups?