7mm , Blackney, A Glimpse of the Forest

Discussion in 'Layout Progress' started by Alan, 2 February 2019.

1. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

Shunting finished the guard has just turned the side light round before the mineral train departs for Bullo.

[​IMG]

2. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

Whoops No wonder Frank Drake's truck hasn't moved for some time.

Amazing what you miss when you leave something on the layout. The wheel has now been dealt with.

[​IMG]

3. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

I could resist doing a Ben Ashworth on this photo.

[​IMG]

AdeMoore, 76043, Bonky and 15 others like this.
  4. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

It feels along time since I last posted. I've done very little except enjoy the sun. All I have done is make the the running in board, which in a couple of months will be taken down when the passenger service ceases.

[​IMG]

JasonBz, AdeMoore, Deano747 and 10 others like this.
  5. NHY 581

NHY 581 Western Thunderer

Looks lovely, Alan.

Rob.

Pencarrow likes this.
  6. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

A dismal afternoon at Blakeney, Looks as if it is going to rain heavily soon.

[​IMG]

7. Alex W

Alex W Western Thunderer

Looks great Alan - I need to do some catching up with my trees!
    Alex

Alan likes this.
  8. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

It seems an absolute age since I posted anything, which could be due to other summer interests and also lethargy caused by the extremely hot weather. However I don't think I've posted this photo before. I apologise if I have.

[​IMG]

9. NHY 581

NHY 581 Western Thunderer

Lovely image, Alan.

Rob.

Alan likes this.
  10. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

Apart from rail staff there has been no other people on Blakeney, well now there is one. You've often heard of me talking about Frank Drake, here he is having a sandwich before getting down to work. the figure was part of the prize for winning the GOG photo of the month in June. The prize was 2 Modelu figures chosen by oneself. Just finished painting it yesterday evening.

[​IMG]

alant, JasonBz, AdeMoore and 16 others like this.
  11. jonte

jonte Western Thunderer

Well done, Alan!

Jonte

AdeMoore likes this.
  12. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

Another new arrival at Blakeney, "Major" Hawkins awaits his train to Gloucester.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And another with things more in focus of Frank having his elevens'

[​IMG]

Muddysblues, alant, JasonBz and 20 others like this.
  13. adrian

adrian Flying Squad

That's superb - the figures now really look the part and add so much to the scene. :thumbs:

AdeMoore, Geoff and Alan like this.
  14. LarryG

LarryG Western Thunderer

The wire & post fencing in that monochrome picture posted 12th June is pretty damn good. Right down the piece that snapped and coiled back. I have never considered dioramas before, but their smallness gives one the opportunity to concentrate on the finest of detail :thumbs:

15. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

Many thanks, Larry for your kind remarks.

AdeMoore and Pencarrow like this.
  16. Pencarrow

Pencarrow Western Thunderer

Really good that you can close crop your work. Here's the wire Larry spotted...

rps20200821_210931.jpg

Muddysblues, AdeMoore, Geoff and 7 others like this.
  17. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

Mojo slowly coming back.

A couple more details added.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They might need a bit more work.

alant, AdeMoore, LarryG and 16 others like this.
  18. Yorkshire Dave

Yorkshire Dave Western Thunderer

Looking good Alan.

Two figures are enough for the layout (without any railway staff to be seen) as it suggests they are waiting in a bucolic backwater for something to happen. I would suggest giving the figures a mid to light brown wash to deepen the shadows in the creases and skin tones.

I'm waiting for the Ezee line to be draped from the telegraph posts! And being at the 'end of the line' only one pair of insulators need be wired to provide a telephone connection into the station building.

d79.jpg

Just to show the effect of the brown wash on the skin tones the photo on the left was taken during the painting of these two 1/48 figures. The guy on the right has had a brown wash applied. The guy on the left with the outstretched arm was only part painted at this stage and as can be seen I apply a dark wash before thinly painting/washing the main colours. The finished figure is on the right after painting and a light brown wash on the skin tones (plus a bit of lippy it appears!).

MM11a.jpg GMC 011.jpg

AdeMoore, Brocp, Geoff and 5 others like this.
  19. michael mott

michael mott Western Thunderer

Hello Alan, I have just finished a good few hours reading through from the beginning, what and enjoyable read. lots of nice details to think about. super photographs which give a great sense that the layout is much larger than it is.

Michael

Last edited: 26 August 2020
    AdeMoore and Alan like this.
  20. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

Many thanks for the advice Dave, I'll give it a whirl.

AdeMoore likes this.