7mm Bleddfa Road

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
As for 35mm slide film, when I was out and about capturing the 70's scene I dumped Kodachrome as I didn't like its blue tint, and switched to Agfa colour which to my eye looked more natural.

The same reason I never used Kodachrome but did try Ektachrome once. During the 70s and 80s I tended to use Boots own branded colour slide film which I think was produced for them either by Agfa, Perutz or Fuji. In the latter days of my 35mm photography I used Fujichrome Provia. Now I ocassionally mess around with my Baby Rollei TLR and 127 film.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Scanning and uploading views to WT Gallery has clearly shown me that good old Kodachrome 64 was the best of all the various brands I had used. It particularly suited the BR corporate blue era.

Oop's apologies for this shunt into a siding.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
I also like playing around with filters to give a more period look to a photo. Here's two of my favourites of an old layout, Treneglos.

Absolutely brilliant Chris!

I thought the shot of the SR 2-6-0 was real. Wow. :thumbs:

You aren't the only one Larry, is he having us on :eek:

Tuppence worth of messing around in the eDarkroom. I just love that Cambrian corrugated goods shed...

Your messing around has produced another interesting result Larry, to my eye 1455 looks really rundown and the goods shed looks as if it might fall down:D Thanks for your comment about the goods shed, at one time I didn't give those sort of structures a second glance and then they sort of grew on me.

P1150614.JPG

Llangunllo goods shed started the ball rolling.....

The same reason I never used Kodachrome but did try Ektachrome once. During the 70s and 80s I tended to use Boots own branded colour slide film which I think was produced for them either by Agfa, Perutz or Fuji. In the latter days of my 35mm photography I used Fujichrome Provia. Now I ocassionally mess around with my Baby Rollei TLR and 127 film.

Fuji was always my second choice for colour and then I went through a spell of taking black & white photos with Ilford film. Can't remember the exact one after all these years. In those far off days I was using a Zorki 4K rangefinder camera, I know but times were hard:(

Scanning and uploading views to WT Gallery has clearly shown me that good old Kodachrome 64 was the best of all the various brands I had used. It particularly suited the BR corporate blue era.

Oop's apologies for this shunt into a siding.

No need to apologise Larry as it all makes for interesting reading:)

Geoff

LarryG

Western Thunderer
That last one is a lovely photo. It looks so spacious and real. Don't be surprised if Llanfair Road yard looks a bit like yours one day! :p

Geoff, have you considered focussing twice to give you identical shots and then cloning the two sharp shots together? It would solve the problem of out of focus foreground and particularly the 7-plank wagon. You dont move the camera, but simply alter the point of focus within the fold-out backscreen.

I hope you don't mind me saving this picture on my PC as 'Inspiration 2'....
WEB Llanfair Rd inspiration 2.jpg

Last edited:

Geoff

Western Thunderer
That last one is a lovely photo. It looks so spacious and real. Don't be surprised if Llanfair Road yard looks a bit like yours one day! :p

Thanks for your kind comments Larry, which are much appreciated :)

I think I'm at an advantage when it comes to creating a feeling of space, what with my less can mean more approach to layout designs. Over the years I have come to realise that I don't need much to keep me happy, and even more so in 7mm scale. I might be barking up the wrong tree but I think a curved layout helps create a spacious look as well. Penhydd, both versions of Llangunllo and now Bleddfa Road were all built on a sweeping curve which runs diagonally across my layout room.

P1160505.JPG

Not the best of photos I'll admit......

I look forward to seeing Llanfair Road yard developing and am sure it will look superb once finished.

Geoff, have you considered focussing twice to give you identical shots and then cloning the two sharp shots together?

No I hadn't Larry which goes to show just how much I know about photography :rolleyes:. I don't have photoshop or any other fancy software but having trawled through the internet I have come across some tutorials on the subject, and some free software so thanks for opening my eyes ;)

I hope you don't mind me saving this picture on my PC as 'Inspiration 2'..

Of course I don't mind, I'm rather flattered to be honest, thank you :)

Geoff

michael mott

Western Thunderer
p1150614-jpg.148852

Wow I had to do a double take, Had the back-scene been a tad closer in colour to the foreground I would have not questioned my first take. One day when I grow up I hope I can do as convincing a job on a scene.

Michael

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Thank you Michael and Mike for your kind comments.

Llangunllo served its purpose well, everything in this scene, which is one of my favourites still survives. The Class 122 was converted from an old Hornby (ex Lima) 121.

P1160419 (1).JPG
In the meantime work on its 7mm scale replacement Bleddfa Road continues......

P1180818.JPG

The station building is now clad in corrugated sheets and awaits detailing, the small structure tagged on the end is the ladies WC. complete with lower hatch to aid removal of what I assume would have been an Elsan chemical toilet bucket. As usual the gents have to traipse to the end of the platform to enjoy the pleasures of the outdoor facilities :)

Geoff

Geoff

Western Thunderer
P1180884.JPG

The station building is now slowly taking shape, and I'm beginning to get that all important feeling of time and place. Health permitting, I hope to fit the doors and make the window frames within the next week or so. A few poster boards and a touch of weathering will follow, and then another unkempt hedgerow will be planted along the approach road and behind the platform.

P1180840.JPG

I decided to use the above rainwater goods rather than faff around making my own, I suppose I could be accused of cheating but with components of this quality it would be a crime to ignore them

Geoff

Geoff

Western Thunderer
I used these on the agents house on Rosehearty and they are very nice. It's no more cheating than using any other quality component, much more about what you do with them.

Very true John, and much better than filing brass tube to shape:) Nice to see Rosehearty in MRJ.

I too found that decent guttering and downspouts make all the difference. Not to an elderly eye perhaps, but definitely to the camera eye.

The camera eye can be a pain at times Larry, it never ceases to amaze me just how much the naked eye can miss.

P1180865.JPG

Take this view for instance, the guttering looks anything but straight to the camera, mind you photos of the prototype show it sagging! Good job it was only tacked in place when the photo was taken.

P1180878.JPG

The guttering looks a bit different now it has been tweaked and the building painted in a base coat of Precision paints weathered wood enamel.

Blodwell Rd station.jpg

Jonte kindly brought this photo of a similar building at Blodwell Junction to my attention, which will come in very handy when I start the weathering process.

Geoff.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Super photo of the Blodwell Junction. All buildings retain GWR colours. Not far from "Llanfair Road" too. Some good ideas for rusty corrugated roofs there.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Super photo of the Blodwell Junction. All buildings retain GWR colours. Not far from "Llanfair Road" too. Some good ideas for rusty corrugated roofs there.

Yeah it's a cracking photo and area for modelling inspiration Larry, colour shots of the Tanat Valley are rare unless I've been missing something

That track looks a bit waterlogged!

Regards

Dan

Same goes for our garden Dan, I felt like a Tory MP what with a moat around the lawn last week :)

Geoff

Geoff

Western Thunderer
P1180885.JPG

I'm not really a fan of helicopter shots, but following a request for an overall view of the station area in colour I've come up with these. I like to think that the station building and goods shed sit well together.

P1180889.JPG

I had planned to continue work on the station building but couldn't be bothered today, so I did a little shunting and took some more photos instead.

P1180888.JPG

Sorry about the same old view but at least it is in colour for a change :)

Geoff

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Geoff,

It looks pretty good to me, the buildings complement each other and don't overpower the overall scene.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Earlier this year I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and after three months of treatment I am now about to start a course of radiotherapy. It isn't as bad as it sounds because thanks to regular screening my problem was caught early, and my prognosis is excellent. Why am I telling you this, well if I can persuade just one of you to visit your GP for a quick examination, and blood test it will have been worthwhile. At the moment I don't feel ill at all and so far I have experienced only mild side effects from my medication. Alas over the coming weeks that will most likely change as I start to glow in the dark:) So if I don't respond to any messages I want you to know that I'm not snubbing any of you and that I'll reply as,
and when I can. So having cleared my workbench and tidied up my modelling room I'll leave you with one more photo which shows how I intend to complete the station and goods yard area.............

P1180891.JPG

Geoff

Alan

Western Thunderer
I suffer??? from on an enlarged prostate and get tested every 6 months. I have been for the last 6 or 7 years, luckily all the test I have had ahve come back normal, but like Geoff I strongly reccomend that any problems in the urinary department please get checked, an older friend of mine ignored our request that he get checked and when he eventually did (a couple of years later) he discovered he did have cancer and it was too late to be treated . Unfortunately he died a couple of years later. DON'T do the man thing and not go to the doctors, please get checked out.