Bow Creek Wharf. c.1946. S7

simond

Western Thunderer
Simon, if we do you will certainly be invited. We forgot to discuss it during our weekly Love Lane Webex chat yesterday. On reflection I'm not sure we can safely visit the Prospect & The Grapes this year due to the pesky virus. There is the Anchor and Hope with a garden just the other side of the Dome but I think that is too far to pedal on a Boris. I had forgotten the Bermonsey Angel which is between the Bridge and Mayflower so that was 5 pints but, I don't think they have a garden. Maybe wait until next year. I did the quoted cycle ride while my boat was moored in Limehouse basin for a few days. My son reminded me of another epic riverside adventure done by train when the Tall Ships event was on: DLR to Island Gardens, walk through Brunels's foot tunnel, a pint in the Plume of Feathers, another in the Trafalgar, DLR Greenwich to Canary Wharf to look at the London Docks Museum but decided it would take up too much drinking time, The Grapes for one and a pork pie, The Prospect of Whitby where I seem to remember we drank our beer down on the "beach", The Town of Ramsgate for a quicky and then somehow we got to the Museum Tavern and the Marquis Cornwallis in Bloomsbury by which time I was on soft drinks. Happy, carefree days.

Thanks Robin, do please let me know, and if I can join, I most certainly will!

Currently moored in Treburden. :).

Atb
Simon

Hi Col
I have just finished going through your thread from start to finish, and this checks a lot of boxes for me. I enjoy the industrial / dock scene and wish you every great success, I'll be following this with great interest.
Regards

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
A couple of years ago a good friend and fellow S7 member of our area group gave me a suitcase of railway photographs. He has since sadly passed away, and I have recently been going through them to see what he had collected.
Some appear to be personal photo's taken by him and some by friends close to him whilst others appear to have been obtained from railway co. press offices.
One which has stood out for me is this one of an LNER Y1 Sentinal, a loco I have planned to build for Bow Creek.

LNER Class Y1 0-4-0 Sentinal No. 45.png
A lot of the other photo's are GWR, LMS and not only loco's, there are wagons also, so I think another thread would be good to start with a selection scanned for you to see.
Col.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Yes please, Col. This is the sort of thing I love! (You may have noticed.............)

In case you need it I have a Y1 at Yarmouth in my collection, sort of 1930 - ish.

Brian

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Jeez ! another year gone nearly since posting on Bow Creek, anyway today I have messed around with tidying up the workshop because of other jobs etc. but I found time this afternoon to set up a test piece for the eventual layout.
When designing a layout you really need to be able to visualize how it will look from a viewing point, it's easy to draw plans and track diagrams and after about 10 years ( yes I did say 10) I pretty much have in my head how this layout will look.
Some of you who are part of the East Anglian S7 area group will have seen the mocked up wharf scene I took to our local meeting a few years back but this time I just wanted to get a basic feel of another part of the layout, I erected a temporary base board with the surface at my selected viewing height of 4'-6" ( 1370mm ) this was done initially to help visualize the station throat and platform end area which is crossed by a road bridge. I simply used a building destined to form part of another area of the layout, some pieces of ply and timber and some lengths of ready to lay track used for testing stock.

Although very basic and simple it gives an idea of how it will look and if there is a need to change the basic drawn plan.

IMG_0848.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

I'm 5'-8" tall and the middle photo is the viewing angle I get when looking at the layout, this will be the same for the whole layout base boards although there will be some subtle changes in the ground levels here and there.
The B17 would not of coarse be the source of motive power on this line, it's route availability wont allow it, but in the absence of a suitable loco at present it gives some scale.
I very hopeful that base board construction can start during the coarse of the Autumn/Winter of this year.

Col.

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Blimey, I've just realised where that photo was taken. Must have been quite a while ago now.

The other JB

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
One for the signalling experts, this sketch is part of the track plan for the exchange sidings jct. and station throat contained within the level crossing and road bridge, the distance between the L.C. and bridge is a scale 230 yds.
What I'd like to finalise, as I'm close to starting baseboards etc., is the position of the signal box ?.

Would it be close to the L.C. and yard jct.?, this would mean that control of the point work at the station may need a ground frame, but the station throat has a jct. to an off scene docks sidings. Or would the the box be half way between the two, with a crossing keeper employed, so that the box has a better view and control at the station as well as the yard jct.

If the box was at the L.C. there surely wouldn't be a second box at the station ?
I will point out that the platform roads have no run round facility, the main arrival and departures occur on the road that leads off the down line, the road which leads off the up road is just a bay, so trains have to shunt out for the loco to run round and then shunt the stock back into the platform road, if that make sense ?

Scan_20220216.jpg

Thoughts, ridicule and abuse accepted :D

Col.

daifly

Western Thunderer
There appears to be no path from the yard on to the UP line and shunting the yard will require the LC gates to be closed for extended periods.
Dave

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
There appears to be no path from the yard on to the UP line and shunting the yard will require the LC gates to be closed for extended periods.
Dave
My poor labelling Dave :D the yard has two roads into it, arrivals off the down and departures onto the up. It's a bit out of proportion but the yard exit/entrance roads lead to a marshalling yard which quite long and all shunting takes place with in the the yard which has a head shunt, not all shown in the sketch.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
As mentioned in the WOYWB thread I have updated the plan for Bow Creek which I'll have to stop doing as it'll never get started !:))
Drawn to a scale of 1:10 it gave me a much more accurate plan for plotting the P & C work and also the buildings which so far are all based on London prototypes sourced from old photo's and drawings accumulated over the years since the inception of the project. There are still some gaps to fill mainly background features and buildings in low relief.

IMG_0209.JPG
Basically the track plan is a double track circuit and within that is a small terminus station, marshalling yard which serves the wharf and goods yard and a partially modelled junction station on the viaduct.
The line it's self is very loosely based on the London & Blackwall Railway ( now 1946, LNER ), the LMS have running powers over the line due to it connections to the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway and also the North London ( ex LNWR), as it did do in reality, and use this to gain access to the docks branch that creates a junction at the terminus station throat. On the layout this dock is off scene cassettes ( top right on the plan), the junction disguises the fact that it forms the continues circuit back round to the junction station. The idea of this circuit is to have the ability to test run stock but also to just sit watch it running when not operating in a prototypical manner.
The terminus is based on that which existed at Blackwall, indeed the station building will be based on that prototype for which I have some drawings and various photo's that will enable me to produce a fairly accurate model if not precise. The loco shed is based on Spitalfields otherwise known as Bethnal Green. No drawings exist as far as I know so I have drawn a deduced version from what photos are available.
This shed is for the shunters and pilot loco serving the yard but also there for topping up the passenger loco's that will run in and out of the station, again loosely, the yard is based on Canning Town wharf which acted as a small marshalling yard for the ex GER/ East India Docks warehouse access being gained by the short branch running round over the steel bridge and along the tramway to the wharf.
Apart from the Import/Export shed I have added a bonded warehouse and a general goods shed, once again loosely based on the shed at Devonshire Street ( lower right on the plan, unless you've turned it upside down :D ). This was out of the ordinary as the loading bank fronted the road with the yard gated entrance to the side.
The junction station here is on the high level viaduct, common in the East London area. This is based on a cross between Bethnal Green and Stepney East with the signal box from there also.

Looking at the plan you'll notice parts of the circuit looking as if it's running through the back quarters of some buildings but the layout level is set quite high, the marshalling yard is set at 1325mm ht. ( approx. 4'-4" ) so if you study the plan and visualise the scene at this height you'll notice that the various buildings etc. act as view blockers because you will be looking at the sides of them and not down on them as if in a helicopter !.
For instance looking at the engineering works, far left, standing viewing the entrance from the level crossing you will see the main line, set at 30-40mm above the yard level, disappear behind the works with our human field of vision disguising the fact that the line has curved around in a semi circle to gain the viaduct on the other side of the layout.
With the terminus station, this is backed by a scale 18ft. wall, as was the prototype, so all you will see at the back of the station is the upper warehouse floors and roofs. From this you'll also notice that the docks branch disappears as it enters under the road bridge thus deceiving our viewing eye that it in fact curves around the back of the station to form part of the continuous circuit.

I'll post again soon about other details, stock and the types of trains envisaged for the layout.

Col.