Bow Locks in P4.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Having decided to produce some of my 7mm stock and couplings in 4mm I'm looking to have a go at P4 for a change. where would people suggest I start?

Marc

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Marc, not sure if you are asking from a personal modelling point of view or actually reproducing your stock kits in 4 mm. But from a personal interest I would love to see some pregrouping wagons reproduced in 4 mm, especially GE or GNSR stock….am I right in fhinking you have produced kits of the GE brake van or have I mistaken you for someone else?

Hopefully that has given you some food for thought…..

All the best

Julian

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Yes that was me for my sins. I'm already turning out some of my 7mm stuff in 4mm. The 3D printed ones to start with but as I retool and replace hand made patterns others will follow.
So I thought I might have a go at building a small/micro layout in P4.
Marc

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Hello Marc
A micro is the best way. Unless you want to buy the kit, you’ll have to build your own point (or points). But it’s not that difficult - I can manage it!

If you want, I have some track gauges you can borrow, and some track templates, too.

Cheers

Jan

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I bought at the start of lockdown a scalescene canal side layout in a boxfile. I was thinking that might be a good place to start. If I build tow plywood boxfiles one for the layout and one for a sector plate I could get something built and running pritty quick.
What's the best way to get a quick/cheep win with a loco?
Marc

garethashenden

Western Thunderer
I bought at the start of lockdown a scalescene canal side layout in a boxfile. I was thinking that might be a good place to start. If I build tow plywood boxfiles one for the layout and one for a sector plate I could get something built and running pritty quick.
What's the best way to get a quick/cheep win with a loco?
Marc
A bogie diesel with replacement wheels. Ultrascale wheels are a drop in, but take 8 months to arrive. Alan Gibson is a little more work, but readily available and substantially cheaper. Or you could do AG wheels on some flavor of 0-6-0T. Probably a good idea to get the GW quartering jig and wheel press if you're going that route.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I thought that you needed compensation on locos? But if you can just drop wheels into a RTR 0-6-0 loco that makes life easier.
Excuse my ignorance but what is the GW quartering jig and wheel press? They are no something that you need in 7mm?

Marc

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Sentinel shunter is about as easy as it gets. Bogie diesel simple too. SLW will sell you a rtr P4 one if you want to stretch to the cost!
If steam then 57xx pannier, jinty etc straight forward. Check out the S4Soc website for ideas too

ullypug

Western Thunderer
I thought that you needed compensation on locos? But if you can just drop wheels into a RTR 0-6-0 loco that makes life easier.
Excuse my ignorance but what is the GW quartering jig and wheel press? They are no something that you need in 7mm?

Marc
Wheels for any coupled loco are not self quartering in P4 so need to be quartered by eye or with a jig. GW Models make one which incorporates a wheel press. Very good but not essential.

garethashenden

Western Thunderer
There’s enough slop in a RTR mechanism that compensation isn’t usually required. Now if you want the fully detailed chassis approach then a replacement chassis is an option. But for now I’d swap the wheels and get something running. You can always go back and build a new chassis later.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
So if I got a couple of LYR pugs and swapped the wheels to AG ones and removed the 00 couplings I would be on for a.winner?
Marc

Jim smith-wright

Western Thunderer
This may help with small steam locos Marc
I wouldn't recommend the Hattons tank as a start point because no one does the wheels but a pug as you suggest should be fine. We've had an uncompensated Grange running on Moor Street for years and ints never given us any problems.

Jim smith-wright

Western Thunderer
Another options is a Brassmasters EasyChas. This is is an etched chassis that fits around the RTR mechanism to give you a fully sprung loco. You can go for the fully detailed version or a halfway house version which you (depending on the loco) may not even need to fire up the soldering iron for (although i recommend you do)

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I see what you mean. in S7 I have reprofiled wheels using a tool supplied by the S7 group If I take this any farther than the test micro is this something that exists? in the short term I'm thinking the AG wheels are the quickest option.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
I see what you mean. in S7 I have reprofiled wheels using a tool supplied by the S7 group If I take this any farther than the test micro is this something that exists? in the short term I'm thinking the AG wheels are the quickest option.
The Scalefour Society make a reprofiling tool. It’s £45. I think it’s members only.

Cheers

Jan