BR 4MT 2-6-4T - resource material

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I suspect it's perspective as the new tyre is closer to the camera. The centre driver appears larger than the drivers on the left!

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
All wheels that are coupled together have to be exactly the same dia. other wise they would travel a different distance in relation to each other.
If they are different dia's and coupled some wheels would be slipping.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
All wheels that are coupled together have to be exactly the same dia. other wise they would travel a different distance in relation to each other. If they are different dia's and coupled some wheels would be slipping.

True. In the early 1970s Old Oak sent a Hymek to Stratford for wheel turning. The return journey was detrimental to the health of the Hymek's gearboxes... maybe Stratford did not appreciate that the drive to the bogies was connected through a single point.

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Some information has come to light, regular readers will remember Peter's (PAD) build on the MOK kit and the discussion he and I had involving injector steam valve handles. I picked up a copy of Part 5 of the RCTS series on the standards which also includes corrections and addendum to the previous volumes. In the section on the 4MTT class "Locomotives to 80058 had wooden handles on the injector steam valves, later engines having four spoked brass wheels". Interestingly of the preserved members of the class the only one of the first 59 is 80002 at KWVR, with the wooden handles that caused much discussion. I haven't been able to find a similar reference to other std classes so I don't know whether this is unique to this class or indeed why it was changed, but my speculation is that the handle didn't last well when struck by the coal hammer because it was jammed.
Regards
Martin

lnerjp

Western Thunderer
I took a few more pictures yesterday of 80135 for Dog Star. He was asking about lubrication so that is what I have focused on, I am not knowledgeable enough to guarantee 100% what is original and what is a preservation mod, but I can make a fair guess. Anyone is free to use these pictures as you wish.

IMG_20210305_163311437.jpg

Reverser grease point.

IMG_20210305_163324857.jpg

Handbrake grease and oil point.

IMG_20210305_163425143.jpg

Grease point for the Brake way shaft - drivers side.
IMG_20210305_163345809.jpg

Seems the boilers out, I thought this view of the frame might be of interest.

JP

lnerjp

Western Thunderer
A couple more pictures as requested by Dog Star. This time looking at the brake gear on 80135.

IMG_20210314_133508681 (1).jpg
Steam Brake Cylinder in the on condition I believe.

IMG_20210314_133500577 (1).jpg

Handbrake connection onto the way shaft, handbrake will pull the way shaft towards the right.

IMG_20210314_133519030 (1).jpg

Other end of the handbrake linkage.

JP