BR/LNER 20 Ton Brake Van availability (plus other rambings!)

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Hi Guy`s,

I`m looking for a suitable 1:32 BR/LNER 'standard' brake van kit,and apart from the NFS and Tenmille ones i`ve up blank!.

Now i have read in these here pages that Mercian did do a brass kit, and that one was also scaled up from a Jim Mc Geown 7mm kit,now either of these would suit me down to the ground but i think that my chances of getting one would be non-exsistant.
So apart from scratch building, (which i`m happy to do) are there any other options out there?.

I should also say that i`m a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to all things 1:32 scale,as i`ve only just recently decided to switch to the scale,after totally losing all interest in my US O/P48 scale modeling......:(
But anyhow i do have a loose plan drawn up for a small bedroom layout and have also just brought my first 1:32 loco in the from of a Bachmann Brass Class 04,so onwards and upwards as they say.
But if this new venture does`nt get me modeling jucies going again, you might say i`m going to be a bit stuffed...!! :oops:

Brian.

hello Brian,
Here is a photo of my BR brake.I bought a kit from Agnoria ,but to be honest I wouldn't recommend it.Most of the castings went in the bin and I had to make new duckets.I was however impressed by the safety bar at the veranda entrance ,works exactly as the real thing.When I needed some steel minerals I purchased etchings only(once bitten!).

Attachments

• DSCN0278.JPG
    DSCN0278.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 46

Brian T

Western Thunderer
hello Brian,
Here is a photo of my BR brake.I bought a kit from Agnoria ,but to be honest I wouldn't recommend it.Most of the castings went in the bin and I had to make new duckets.I was however impressed by the safety bar at the veranda entrance ,works exactly as the real thing.When I needed some steel minerals I purchased etchings only(once bitten!).

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the picture,that`s one i have`nt come across on my searches and one too avoid from your experience then!....though your build does look excellent.

I had considered the NFS kit,but after reading through Simon`s (flying squad) thread i`ve had a re-think on that one.

The only other option i can see at the moment other than a scratch build is the Tenmille kit,which look`s nice but i`m not sure if it`s a 10mm kit or 1:32 as i`d read somewhere that they were making their kit`s to 1:32 instead of 10mm now?;is this right,as there`s no mention of it on their site.....

Brian.

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Brian,

You can never have too many brake vans - with a loco and a brake you have a complete train :)

Although it's a while since I spoke to Tenmille about Scale, at the time they were firmly wedded to 10mm Scale.
It's NFS that have changed, and Mercian who cater for both sizes of tinwork (albeit with shared castings).

What I've done myself is buy a Ready to Run NFS brake and just stand that bit stand further away from it :)
Out of doors, it sits nicely with the Bachmann Class 04.
I'm excited to hear about your small bedroom layout - there aren't enough of them about.
Will you go 2-rail / DCC / Radio control / Sound?
Industrial / mainline / yard/ branch / station?
Do you (or would you like to) belong to the 1:32 Finescale Group?
(It's an informal Special Interest Group run by me for G1MRA, though G1MRA membership is not required, and there's no subscription.)

David

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Hi David,

Standing back is`nt really an option for me,as i like to get up close and personel when playing with my trains....!!

To honest the more i think about it,scratch building seem`s to be getting more appealing as there are detail parts avalible and plus i have two large sheet`s of .25mm nickel silver here that i`ve had for years now.....

As to the layout,it`ll be 2 rail DCC/sound, and i`ll probably based on a sort of small intermidiate 'closed' branch line station, that`ll have a couple of sidings and a run round.
But as yet i have`nt started to build anything as i need to sort out/sell off my US O gauge stuff first.

Brian.
PM sent about the 1:32F group.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Good to here you are still active Brian, thought the O gauge three siding venture had stopped. Are you going to squeeze the track in on that lovely bridge?
O gauge US, don’t tempt me!! Do you have an SW1?! I see a freight car in NYC livery was on Small Ads, too much temptation.
I too have an 04, bought on impulse but I keep thinking about wagons, see other thread in this group. I will be watching with interest.
1/32 or 10 mm is very tempting and yes a loco and brake is a train.
I’m in the Home by the Sea at the moment away from temptation although I picked up the MR Modelling Industries at the airport, more diversions!
All the best
Julian

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Hi Julian,
Yes.. 'Parkers sidings' is no more i`m affraid,as i`d try to change it slightly which is always fatal and as for the bridge....that ended up in the bin too...! :rolleyes: (but i did keep the small office)

SW1,humm...i did, but that was quite awhile ago now.

Back to 1:32,i`ve yet to recieve the 04 so i have`nt had a good look at one yet,but i`m hoping to go to town on it detail wise just like 'Thirtysecond' did with his Bachmann 03.
I`ve also ordered a van & open from Fred Phipps too,so i`ll at least have something to keep me occupied whilst i sort out all the other stuff and make a start on the new layout plans.

Perhaps a wagon kit is what you need to steer you away from all that nasty US stuff..... not that i can speak..!! :D

Enjoy the sun and surf,

Brian.

ps: appologies Julian ,i did`nt see your post over on the PS thread;as i have`nt visted WT for quite some time!.

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Trevor Cousins of Mercian Models does a nice AA19 in 1/32 scale. See my build of it in the 1/32 section.
Dave

I apologise I’ve just noticed you want a BR/LNER one.

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Trevor Cousins of Mercian Models does a nice AA19 in 1/32 scale. See my build of it in the 1/32 section.
Dave

I apologise I’ve just noticed you want a BR/LNER one.

No Worries Dave.

I`ve been looking at other types also, in particular the Walsall Models LMSR brake van ,which has caught my eye.

Brian.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Of course Brian there is always US gauge 1!! Seriously I bought an 04 in blue from another WTer and it has stayed in its box, I have pondered over PS and Jordan’s Ludlow shunting plank. On my return In Auguat, hopefully on a green light I will hopefully have decided what I am doing.
My attraction to G1 stems from the Thursday nights at Keen House when the G1A used to have a track night, you could only stay in the basement for a short while with all that meths!!! Lovely though.
What livery is your 04 coming as.
All the best Julian

Brian T

Western Thunderer
G1 US...nice but that would take some space,even with 40ft freight cars.

As for my 04,it`s coming in blue but will get re-painted into a green example with potentially a blue tops data panel,to suit a late sixties early seventies era layout.
On a plus point it `s already equiped with sound and dcc so that`s one job i don`t have to bother with!.

Be interested in seeing your thoughts on a shunty plank, as i`d initially drawn one up with a single point to fit along a wall,but then i realized i could get away a 73" min radius,so it`s now going to go round two walls of a small bedroom.

Cheers,
Brian.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian, 04 with sound and dcc sounds very nice may I ask where you are purchasing this from? They do not seem to come up very often so I cannot put a value on mine. I did not pay a lot for mine making it a very good incentive to buy. I have ran it up and down a piece of track and it definitely is a very nice model.
My O gauge efforts are in the layout progress pages under “Procastinate” as always very sporadic but perhaps something similar in G1 but with one point.
Do you have much US gauge 0?
That small office was a masterpiece so I am not surprised you kept it.
Cheers
Julian

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Hi Julian,
The 04 is coming by way of Mr Simon Dunkley.

O gauge wise,i must have about 50 freight cars ranging from rtr/resin & plastic kits to brass ones along with a dozen loco`s in various states and all of which were going to be for a fifties themed layout.But if i`m honest,it`s been my downfall as there`s that much stuff i`ve just become overwhelmed.
Though the above was`nt all that i have had,as i had a clear out earlier this year of all the modern US O stuff i`d collected too!.... :oops:

So with the venture into 1:32 i`m hoping to be able to re-focus and get some modeling done,it also help`s that there is`nt a 'lot' of stuff to get tempted with either.On the plus though,two of my favorite diesel`s are avalible in the scale,the 95xx teddy bear & 63xx.

Had a quick look at 'Procastinate' and it look`s to have potential,also like the scrtach built tram engine.Would`nt have thought of using a lima chassis!.

Cheers,
Brian.

As to the office;"masterpice" humm....that`s very kind of you to say Julian.Myself, i`d say it`s alright.

midnightmiller

Evening Brian . You need to talk to Liz Marsden at Cromford Designs , she has a set of etchings (they used to sell them as ready to runs )

john

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
I know exactly what you mean Brian as far as US modelling is concerned, lovely ready to run in both HO and 1/48 with emphasis on operation and building lovely layouts, so tempting!
I too have accumulated a lot of HO NYC stock and until I am really convinced which way to go I am very reluctant to part with it.
Funny we must all do the same as I thought Simon Dunkley was an S scale modeller, or is that why he sold it!
Have you thought about track yet? The increase in rice from O to G1 is quite a lot.... I need a bigger budget.
Have fun with the 03
All the best
Julian

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian
How is the 04 progressing? Would be interested to see some photos.....

I have been trying to get my head around a G1 version of a simple box file layout, if you scale it up it works out at about 35" by 22.5" roughly. 3 sidings and a few wagons......just a thought!

All the best

Cheers

Julian

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Hi Julian,

Thanks for the interest,but as seems to be the way at the moment the G1 plan`s are`nt progresing as i`ve gone back to US P48!.
Still have the 04,though i have`nt done anything to it,in fact i have`nt even run it yet....!![lus i got rid of the other stock that i`d aquired,so it`s abit of a shelf queen at the moment.......:rolleyes:
P1010588.JPG

I like the box file idea would make a nice operating diaroma and in that size would lend it`s self to some 'super' detailing in a relativley small space.

Cheers,
Brian.

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Hi David
That's some very nice modeling, almost tempted to have play with the 04 again a see what sort of one point layout I could come up with myself..
Brian