4mm Brassmasters Rebuilt Royal Scot, 46109

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Cheers Dave - another dodge for the file. I love doing the detailing like this. It may be infruiating to achieve but it really lifts the model once completed.

Take care.

Mike

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
The atomiser is now finished and fitted to the loco footplate. This completes the lubrication system except for the atomiser steam supply pipe from the pear shaped cover on the upper smokebox down to the footplate.
I have to say, despite my feeling that the atomiser body wasn't as neat as I would have liked, now it's fitted and fully piped up, I am rather pleased with the final outcome. The atomiser body has been mainly soldered together using flux cored 60/40, 179 and 145 grades of solder. The fine oil pipes have been super-glued into the body and the shut-off cock spindle fixed with high grade sleeve/bush retainer.
A quick count leads me to believe that, including the various pipes, there are 41 individual components in the assembly, the smallest being a piece of 0.5 x 0.3 ,, tube, 0.4 mm long, filed square, to represent the head on the shut off cock spindle.
Think I need to lie in a darkened room for a while after this lot.
Here it all is. There's an awful lot of "pipes".
Scot_179.JPG
Scot_180.JPG
Scot_181.JPG
Scot_182.JPG

Dave.

Jack P

I've just gone back to the start and had a look through this thread. Truly incredible work, it's hard to believe this isn't 7mm...

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Thanks, Kyoki.
Not much progress, partly due to distractions such as the excellent Virtual S4N show, Portuguese MotoGP races and sunny weather requiring sitting out in the garden.
However, a start has been made on the brake ejector and associated pipework. I've added the small drain pipes to the ejector body and modified the train vacuum pipe connection to better represent the later type with a hose coupling in the vertical run. The kit casting better represented the earlier all steel arrangement. The additional oval flanged joint has been added in the large discharge pipe, 8 mm from the ejector flange. I've tried to represent the gland nuts on the ejector pipe connections using 0.5 mm tube. All just loose at the moment, temporarily clipped into place.
A rather cruel close-up, many time full size. The wire windings for the hose really don't look that bad in the flesh.
Scot_183.JPG
A more general view showing the modified shape of the train pipe connection. The original casting had a distinct "S" shape.
Scot_184.JPG
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Ouch! Not much progress today - just three 0.3 mm holes drilled in the resin boiler. As anyone who's used these sorts of fine drill bits will know, they're rather easy to break - best bought in 10's. So, I managed to break the bit I've been using recently. In fact, that bit has been broken twice - and neither occasion during drilling! First I broke of part of the plain shank whilst using it for some non-drilling purpose and today I completed the job by stabbing my finger with it (a good 6 mm deep) and snapping it of in my reaction. Luckily, enough of the bit was protruding to allow its removal using tweezers. What with Covid jabs and now this, I'm beginning to resemble a human pin cushion.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
The sacrifice of my left index finger by drill bit has not been in vain. The atomiser steam supply pipe has been formed and fixed to the LHS of the smokebox. Part way down, it is held by a "P" clip - made from flattened 0.25 mm copper wire - which utilises one of the 0.3 mm holes drilled prior to the finger incident. The bottom of the pipe runs just inside the inner edge of the footplate, alongside the various other lubrication pipes already fitted. It will be soldered there once the boiler is fixed to the footplate. At the top, the shut-off cock square headed spindle has been represented above the pear shaped cover.
Scot_185.JPG

Scot_186.JPG

A bit of cosmetic restoration of the resin firebox (where I accidentally let a rotary burr climb over the end and mark the outside surface, whilst making the motor clearance) is required before the boiler can be fixed.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
It really is micro-steps, now. However, I have fitted the ejector exhaust pipe drain, which runs down the side of the smokebox and is clipped to it. This now enables me to glue the boiler to the footplate and then complete the pipes that bridge between the two. I've double checked with my painter/liner that he's happy to have the boiler fixed before painting.
A slightly out-of-focus shot of the drain pipe. The pipe is made from rather over scale 0.152 mm brass wire.
Scot_187.JPG
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
No going back now......
The boiler is firmly and immovably fixed to the footplate using original (slow curing) Araldite, as well as the pegs and screw previously used to temporarily hold the two together. The fixing has allowed the top feed pipes and brake ejector to be permanently fitted. Advantage was taken of the time for the slow curing grade can be worked to also fit the chimney. Excess adhesive was carefully scraped away before it set hard.
So here we are:
Scot_188.JPG

Scot_189.JPG
Scot_190.JPG

That's the most complete the loco has been so far.
Dave.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Remarkable work with those atomisers Dave, I struggle to do them in 7mm scale! Its turning in to a cracking model.

Regards
Tony

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Thanks, Tony. I am rather pleased with the results on the atomiser I must say. The inspiration for this level of detail, and especially the use of small bore tube to represent gland nuts on pipe connections, has come from the many wonderful, mainly, 7 mm scale models posted on WT. So, thanks you to you and others who've posted inspiring stuff on here.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
A very valid point, Ian. If I'm honest, I hadn't really given any thought to that problem, but now you've pointed it out, I'm not sure it could have been made removable. It has to be soldered to the cab front and passes through a complex bracket in order to fix it and leave the front end free to plug into the top of the reversing lever, which is part of the chassis. The bracket is now hidden behind the large sand box and cannot even be seen, now, let alone reached to fit it at a later stage. The gap between the reverser rod and splasher front is less than 0.25 mm so I will just have to accept that the obscured parts will not be painted properly or lined but no-one will be able to tell. The same probably applies to the hidden areas behind the sand boxes.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Progress remains slow - I'm sure that was a snail just overtaking - but there is some.
The smokebox door and boiler hand rails are now fixed. When processing the photos, I noticed that the top lamp iron had got bent - probably when I knocked the loco off the work tray into my lap this morning. I caught the loco between my knees on its way to the floor, so it was nearly a catastrophe. A bent lamp iron is a small price to pay. It has now been straightened out.
Scot_191.JPG

Scot_192.JPG
Scot_193.JPG

Outside steam pipe covers, front vacuum stand pipe and some bits on the rear beam still to do.
Dave.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
What a superb result! When does this get handed over to the painter - good luck to him, by the way - looking forward to seeing the fully completed model. Thanks for all the updates showing a beautiful finished model. Wonderful!

One last question...is it going in black or green?

Stay safe

Mike

Reactions: AJC

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Some more progress at each end of the loco.
At the front, the small grab handles above the front steps and the vacuum stanchion and hose have been fitted. I'm not sure where this latter came from but it is absolutely right for a Scot. Pity it's white metal. The brass casting in the kit is quite the wrong shape.
Scot_194.JPG

At the rear, the curved buffing block was formed from 1.6 mm thick brass bar and added to the etched backing plate. The side rubbing plates for the intermediate (tender) buffers were also fitted.
Scot_195.JPG
Just the outside steam pipe covers, cab-side cinder guards, smoke deflectors and draw bar to go. Of, and the pick-ups, although these can't be fitted till the chassis is dismantled.
Dave.