Brushes loco and wagon disaster workbench.

Discussion in 'Workbenches, including workshop techniques.' started by BrushType4, 11 September 2020.

1. BrushType4

BrushType4 Western Thunderer

I hardly know the hot end of a soldering iron to the cold end and I really want to build the great brass locos and wagons that I see others doing here on Western Thunder.

So I recently purchased a J15 and after a protracted delivery it arrived today with some extra bits and bent bits.

9E5E8F73-5D28-4B2C-8B60-E38481B76C38.jpeg 2BCDD824-049A-4ABC-8699-DF6DAA55E846.jpeg

Unlikely to get any recourse from the seller I thought this could kick start me into learning some new skills and provide a bit of soldering iron practice.

First question, does anyone recognise the origin of the kit? It’s Brass with white metal parts.
    2996572C-68B2-4428-A98C-89678C9908FB.jpeg EED833B6-523C-4E0A-B2AD-45B4F1B2E620.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: 11 September 2020
    jonte likes this.
  2. neaston

neaston Active Member

Connoisseur Models possibly.
    Nick

3. BrushType4

No not Connoisseur. Its very basic, Maybe scratch build or a very basic kit.

4. Mudhen

Mudhen Western Thunderer

Alan Gibson?

all the best
    Tim

5. BrushType4

Not sure Tim. That was a good shout as looking Alan Gibsons website it looks like they can supply any spare parts I may need.

6. eastsidepilot

eastsidepilot Western Thunderer

It may of been one of the old G.E. Models kit although I don't know for sure if they did the J15, certainly the D16 and E4....terrible kits by today's standards.
    Phil, be aware of Gibson stuff, some of the castings are a bit under scale , the domes for one are very under nourished.

Col.

7. LarryG

LarryG Western Thunderer

Domes on real J15's were undernourished...:p

8. richard carr

richard carr Western Thunderer

I can offer plenty of advice on paint stripping if you need it !

Richard

Scale7JB and Cliff Williams like this.
  9. BrushType4

I was thinking brake fluid? Was worried about the wheels though. What do you suggest?

10. richard carr

richard carr Western Thunderer

IPA does work well and should be fine on slaters wheels. I have just dunked a class 46 body from a JLTRT kit in it and after about 10 minutes the paint started to come off easily, I did use 10 litres of IPA though.

Celly thinners will do the metal body but I would test it on the wheels though. 5 litres of celly is about £20 on amazon delivered. IPA is £30 for 5 litres.

Nitromors works fine on metal too but will probably eat the plastic of the wheels, it definitely eats resin.

Richard

11. Mike Garwood

Mike Garwood Western Thunderer

Don't use celly thinners on plastic wheels! Don't ask! Pheonix superstrip 2. Safe on everything and re-usable.

Mike

12. mickoo

mickoo Western Thunderer

Trust me, you'll soon work that out sharpish :))

Personally, I'd repair it, sell it on and use the funds to buy a new kit.

At a wild guess I'll reckon once you've striped the paint you may not like what you find underneath and there's a good bet some parts are glued on......expect more to drop off before you even start to refit what already has.

13. paulc

paulc Western Thunderer

Hi Phil , body off the chassis and a dunk in thinners or acetone then brush the odd bits of paint that are still stuck with some more thinners . Check the bottom of the container for bits that were glued on as they wont be now , i use a foil roasting pan and wash it out after each use .
    Just a tip , if you're not familiar with the loco take some photos . I done a repaint for a mate and stripped his loco the usual way ,i then had a dig around for the bits that had fallen off . One part took me the best part of a week to work out where it went let alone what it was but then it was a GWR Manor and i usually model LNWR
    Cheers Paul .