Chris Klein

This is my first modelling post on Western Thunder. The attached photographs show a Minerva RTR 0 gauge riveted 57XX. It has been modified to represent an unfitted 67XX based at 86B Newport Pill shed. The main modification was to change the screw coupling to a simple chain and to fit the Bagnall manufacturer's plates to the front splashers. As exclusively freight engines, they were usually filthy and I have tried to simulate this. The number, shed code and manufacturer's plates are by Narrow Planet and the crew figures are ModelU. The bucket and fire-irons come with the model. It is equipped with a ZIMO sound decoder loaded with the exclusive pannier sound project designed by Paul Chetter for Minerva. I have included a photo of the loco before weathering.

CK
6724 weathered 1.jpg 6724 weathered 2.jpg 6724 weathered 3.jpg 6724 weathered 4.jpg 6724 weathered 5.jpg 6724 weathered 6.jpg 6724 weathered 7.jpg 6724 weathered 8.jpg 6724 ex-works front.jpg

Chris Klein

Here is my posse of panniers, all of which are Minerva, on Cwm Bach. 6724 is as described above.

7788 is a welded tank 57XX depicting the prototype locomotive that was still wearing GWR insignia in 1961 while working the Upton-on-Severn branch from Ashchurch. She carried a BR smokebox numberplate, but the shedcode plate was missing. This model is powered by the Proto-Cab wireless system so track is an optional extra for running this engine. I am happy to post more about Proto-Cab elsewhere if wanted.

3753 is the later 8750 version fitted with the exclusive Paul Chetter pannier ZIMO sound decoder. The crew on all three locos and the headlamps are ModelU. The South Wales target discs are made from Markits brass Southern Railway indicator discs.

Major K

Trio of Panniers 2.jpg Trio of Panniers 3.jpg Trio of Panniers 4.jpg

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
This also demonstrates the good side of weathering your own models - you can vary the degree and style of weathering to replicate locos and rolling stock at any given stage in their operating life. Unlike the monotonous uniformity of the factory airbrushed weathered models.

Furthermore you can also replicate the loco shed idiosyncrasies. I've see photographs of LBSC Terrier 32636 where, although given a BR number plate, the crew did not clean the leading 3 thereby leaving the old SR number 2636 visible.

Chris Klein

I have just finished converting a Minerva Kerr Stuart ROD Victory 0-6-0T to ex-GWR/BR 667 based at Newport Pill in the 1950s. I used the Minerva conversion kit designed specifically for the model. I am not entirely content with the dome, which we may need to review. Nevertheless, the loco with its parallel boiler and outside cylinders makes a change from the usual fare of tapered boilers and pannier tanks.

CK
667 Weathered 1.jpg 667 Weathered 2.jpg 667 Weathered 3.jpg 667 Weathered 4.jpg 667 WiP 280119 3.jpg

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
It has all been said in earlier posts to this thread about the impeccable quality of the weathering carried out on these models and I can add no more superlatives. Forgive the following question, Chris, which might appear a little daft, but do you use photographs of the prototypes to assist in achieving this wonderful standard ? I am still trying to pluck up courage to weather my Minerva 8750...........:confused:!

Roger.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Chris, you are certainly deserving of all the accolades above and I join in with them. Your (and others, I should add) techniques have opened my eyes to seeing dirt and other weathering phenomena in every day life. As a geologist I can be quite critical of modellers attempts at rock formations in cuttings, etc. and I rather fear my efforts at weathering would be judged to be poor by an expert such as yourself. But that's why we are all here, isn't it, to learn from each other?

Paul

PS I have yet to weather a locomotive! I have yet to work up the courage.

Chris Klein

It has all been said in earlier posts to this thread about the impeccable quality of the weathering carried out on these models and I can add no more superlatives. Forgive the following question, Chris, which might appear a little daft, but do you use photographs of the prototypes to assist in achieving this wonderful standard ? I am still trying to pluck up courage to weather my Minerva 8750...........:confused:!

Roger.
Roger,
I work from photographs of real locomotives. Often, photos are not available for the particular locomotive or even type I am working on, but if it shows the desired effect I am trying to simulate hat will do. The key to success is to paint what you see, not what you imagine.

Regards,

Chris

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Roger,
I work from photographs of real locomotives. Often, photos are not available for the particular locomotive or even type I am working on, but if it shows the desired effect I am trying to simulate hat will do. The key to success is to paint what you see, not what you imagine.

Regards,

Chris
Many thanks for this advice, Chris, - it does encourage me to make a serious attempt at the job, so the next few weeks should prove interesting for 4602 at Nevermoor.

Roger.

Chris Klein

Here's another Minerva Manning Wardle K I have weathered. The loco crew are ModelU figures painted by Claudia Everett. The works and name plates are Narrow Planet. The tools on the bunker are from the accessory pack included with the loco. This loco is fitted with ZIMO DCC sound using Minerva’s exclusive Paul Chetter sound project; my favourite sound is F15 Cylinder Drain Cocks.

Regards,

Chris K
Minerva MW Blue weathered AM-1.jpg Minerva MW Blue weathered AM-2.jpg Minerva MW Blue weathered AM-3.jpg Minerva MW Blue weathered AM-4.jpg Minerva MW Blue weathered AM-5.jpg Minerva MW Blue weathered AM-6.jpg