Crymlyn A Shop Techniques. 3F 47655

davey4270

Western Thunderer
201. Dismantling.

David 09 11b 001_Original.jpg

47655 is seen here at Upper Bank “coal stage” in early British Railways days. The shelter was not provided to improve the engine men’s comfort but as a black out precaution during WWII. At first glance it appears that the locomotive has a replacement 3 link coupling but closer scrutiny reveals a lack of vacuum pipes and no holes for them in the buffer plank. Several of these locomotives were built as steam brake only shunting machines similar to the GWR 67xx panniers.

IMG_3176.jpg

A Collector’s Club Jinty was obtained from said source for the princely sum of £150. This early BR logo was only obtainable from here as a limited edition. Incidentally, the first model purchased ran like a dog with a wooden leg. This was returned and apparently, according to Dapol, the replacement was the last one available. I suspect that they say this to stop you making a further return if it’s faulty. Anyway, I could have repaired the first one but there is a clue in the RTR description so back it went. Even this one could have been better but an hour or so on a local test track improved matters somewhat.
The untouched Jinty is seen here next to my Barry F class. Doesn’t the F look smart in black!

IMG_3177.jpg

I was advised by a good friend, who will remain nameless, that the easiest way to dismantle the Jinty was to carefully remove it from the packaging and drop it from exactly 6 feet onto a concrete floor! I chose not to heed this advice and instead removed the body/chassis retaining screws as indicated in the instructions. Take some care here as there is a wire from the circuit board to the firebox light. This needs to be unplugged.

IMG_3178.jpg

Removal of the remaining screws allows the body to come apart. There is some glue but this easily pulls apart. It appears to be a sort of contract glue that hasn’t hardened. Watch out for front cab door handles which are loose and a wire from the brake ejector on the boiler side which will also fall off. I will double check but I presume that the ejector will also have to be removed.

IMG_3179.jpg

The rather neat fitted screw couplings need to be replaced and are retained by a small coil spring which hooks in the tail of the coupling and also on a cast spigot just behind the buffer plank. This is easily removed and I had a set of Premier Components 3 link couplings which have exactly the same shank dimensions. Rather than remove the spigots, I shortened the new couplings to match the Dapol specimens but drilled a 0.7mm hole through the shank just behind the buffer plank. This is visible above half way along the shank. This will be retained by a small piece of wire Loktited in.
The chimney pulls out from the smoke box and is only attached by some more Chinese glue. It has a brass body on a plastic base and there is a noticeable “groove” where they meet. I Araldited the two together and hopefully the excess Araldite will act as a filler. I also squashed some of the Araldite into the vacuum pipe fixing holes from the back to act as a filler.

davey4270

Western Thunderer
202. Handrail Knobs and Filler.

IMG_3184.jpg

I was hoping that this would be a quick job but as well as the model literally falling apart there appears to be more work than I expected. The vacuum ejector on the right hand side of the smoke box was easily pulled out and a bonus was found underneath it in that the holes for the replacement handrails were already there. I intended to replace the handrail knobs on the smoke box door, which also fell out, with brass examples and use the original ones on the R/H side. Once compared to the replacement handrail knobs it was obvious that some skinflint had used 4mm scale components which I doubt a fireman could get his hand between the rail and the smoke box wrapper to hold on. I had to open out the existing holes to take the new handrail knobs. This raises a slight problem in that new locating holes in the front of the tank will be needed for the slightly further out wires. There are moulded brackets for the original wires but replacing these would necessitate a repaint of the tank section with the early BR logo so I think I’ll ignore it and just drill a new hole.
The existing holes for the ejector were filled with “REVELL PLASTO” which is a ready mixed filler and if left for an hour sets hard enough to sand smooth. I eventually had to use this on the chimney join and it can also be seen sanded smooth on the smoke box and front boiler section. The unsanded bit is another hole I found. I had intended to only repaint the smoke box matt but will also have to do the first boiler section. I’ll try gently polishing it after leaving it a week or so to harden and hopefully it will leave the slightest sheen to match the rest of the model.
There is a nice printed maker’s plate on the splasher side which I will also mask off with the buffer planks when the whole footplate is sprayed matt black.
I have painted the cab floor wood colour and removed what looks like a brass vacuum brake applicator from just in front of the reverser. The whole of the reverser is painted red but I suspect that only the lever was red with the handle steel and the base black. Would the release/locking catch be to the rear? If so it was fitted the “wong way wound”!

davey4270

Western Thunderer
203. Reassembly.

IMG_3202.jpg

So much for a quick conversion, a partial dismantling caused almost every component to fall apart! Anyway, after filling the various holes where the vacuum ejector fitted these were either touched in or the panel painted. The cab floor was painted a wood colour and a rather disappointed crew were allocated while the cab was off. Quite how one is supposed to fit these through the small removable panel in the roof, I don’t know. I say disappointed as they thought they would be in the Barry F class and not in this outlandish contraption. The reverser lever was refitted as supplied with the release catch correctly forwards and various other components that had fallen off were reattached. The new 3 link couplings were fitted with a retaining pin and a dot of Loktite. The pin needs to be no longer than the width of the original coupling spring or it won’t fit in the space at either end of the chassis. I had previously purchased a set of transfers from Railtec and was pleasantly surprised to find that the smoke box number plate and the shed plate were 3D printed and after soaking them off the sheet I attached them in position with a dot of PVA. I may have a problem in that the model has an LMS smoke box plate only wide enough for 4 digits and the BR plate has 5 and overlaps slightly. This is trying to curve forward at the corners but I’m hoping it will settle down. Does anyone know if the BR numbered version has a wider plate? This one has a BR tank side logo, is unnumbered but has an LMS sized plate??? I remembered to plug the firebox light back into the chassis' circuit board and only need to apply the cab side numerals/power class and add some coal.

davey4270

Western Thunderer
204. 3F 47655. Coal.

IMG_3241.jpg

While waiting for a decision on the bunker side transfers, 47655 was coaled alongside 726. Black table napkin was loosely scrunched up and prodded gently into the bunker. It was moistened with water containing the smallest drop of washing up liquid to help it soak in and shaped into an approximation of a 1/3 full bunker with the coal falling from the sides towards the shovelling hole. Some diluted PVA was dribbled on top and some Graig Wen Colliery coal sprinkled on top with some more dilute PVA dribbled on. I had pulled a small amount of the black tissue through the shovelling hole but with the cab refitted it was not possible to sprinkle any coal on top of this in the cab.
The plastic coal rails were bent inwards where they met the cab rear spectacle plate. They are oversized and rather than replace them with some finer brass items, as this was supposed to be a “quick modification”, I merely trimmed some of the excessive length off where they touch the back of the cab. This allows them to come forwards slightly and touch the side of the cab rather than be bent backwards which is an improvement. The L/H side is almost straight but the R/H side is still slightly distorted but not as bad as it was.
The picture shows the bunkers of 47655 and 729. The front buffer planks are in line, out of picture, and show that the Barry F class is fractionally longer

davey4270

Western Thunderer
Thursday afternoon outside Crymlyn A Shop and Dai the paint is applying the numerals to newly outshoped 3F 47655. Barry F class 726 and SUSIE WONG are also visible. Baldrick, the Crymlyn A Shop gofor, still hasn’t cleared the ash pile and a few of the girls from the local leisure centre are keeping our Dai company.

1904E3CE-93B7-40BB-B275-7370E0F3A982.jpeg

davey4270

Western Thunderer
205. Some Finishing Touches (At Last).

At long last, did I hear someone say "about time", the Crymlyn A Shop 3F conversion has been rolled out of the workshop.
The loco is a Dapol Collector’s Club limited edition, unnumbered with early crest. A quick summary of the work involved included:
Dismantling and filling the groove at the base of the chimney, fortunately the Chinese were rather economic in the application of glue,
Removing all vacuum brake equipment, this prototype was steam brake only,
Fitting 0 gauge handrail knobs,
Painting the cab floor and fitting the crew. They were very disappointed at not being allocated to the new Barry F class 726 just visible in the background. I guess they must have upset the foreman!
Spraying various Matt black areas including the smoke box, footplate, cab roof and tank tops.
Filling holes in the buffer planks, painting red and fitting 3 link couplings.
Renumbering 47655, a Paxton Street locomotive sub sheded at Upper Bank.
Some fire irons and a bucket on the L/H tank top should complete it.
I'd like to thank Chris Basten of Minerva Models and Alistair from Gloucester for their help with the cab side numerals.

IMG_3949.jpg

davey4270

Western Thunderer
I'm crap at weathering and believe a clean model looks better than a badly weathered specimen. Until then this will have to do.

davey4270

Western Thunderer
Friday evening at Graig Wen Colliery loco shed and 47655 rests after its days work. No doubt the Boyos are relaxing at the local leisure centre.

648E6B3A-2720-4284-BA9F-8955CA40D671.jpeg