David Andrews Castle Build

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Don’t worry, Larry, it was you who persuaded me that the more sidings the merrier!

Not wishing to repeat myself, the larger scales generally put you into the scene better than the smaller scales. Which is why Moor Street’s datum is relatively high - I want to see my trains at eye level, not from a virtual helicopter. After all, that’s how as an enthusiast I generally saw them.

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul

I've a David Andrews Maunsell N Class in the Pencarrow stash to build at some point. Watching your build with interest as the methodology intended by David seems to be very similar. Great job you're doing so far.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Chris, thank you. I think all of David’s kits are designed with much the same methodology. I have tackled the Compound, Castle and Dukedog and have the original* Patriot kit unmade. So, if you can build any one of his kits you can build them all. Also, I have found David to be very friendly and helpful, though we have yet to meet.

* Original = “un-rebuilt”

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
A little progress today before my "better half" arrives tomorrow afternoon. I expect other priorities may be promoted over Castles! On the way to the airport I will stop by FB Systems to see if they have anything non-gauge specific I can use. I seem to need a good track cleaning system and they will know what's best for the relatively dry Mediterranean climate (though high humidity does happen quite regularly and that may be the problem). And they carry a reasonable supply of Woodlands Scenics materials. Over the weekend I brutalized a Xuron "snipper" and a replacement would be a wise purchase. Other than that, HO rules. And some of the prices can make a grown Frenchman cry!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The tender brass springs and axle boxes arrived from Warren Shephard today. Well worth the money! I may be able to get back on to the Castle as the problems with Moor Street's track seem to have gone away for the moment.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The brass castings have been added so it is beginning to look like a Collett 4,000 gallon tender. Just a few more pieces to add, then back to the engine.

By the way, my mixed Nationality lingo might be confusing sometimes, so here is some clarification:

Locomotive or Loco = a complete unit, i.e. engine plus tender; a tank engine would also be a loco
Engine = Either the motive power part of a locomotive (engine + tender) or a tank engine
Exception: A Mallet or similar has two engines
Tender = A separate vehicle for carrying coal and water.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The Castle's tender is nearly there. Just the front handrails to fit. I also painted the chassis:

IMG_0898.JPG

The brass bolt is to limit the play on the centre axle. I don't have to trim it to size but if the DCC electronics require it then I will.

Soldering the bits to the rear end of the tender caused a few blue words but I think it looks OK in the raw.

IMG_0899.JPG

It still needs cleaning up and I just received a heavy duty glass fibre brush from Eileens Emporium which will do the job. The soldered filling on the tank top flaring at the rear corners definitely needs improving! The top of the tender required a lot of time to get (nearly) right:

IMG_0901.JPG

It will be interesting to see how this kit compares with the Finney7 equivalent. And then I can always add a tender full of coal to hide the "jack of all trade" lumps of solder!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
A month later and the tender got a final clean and then a thin coat of Acid 8 primer:

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

There are a few areas needing filler but otherwise I am pleased with the build. As is often the case, there are things I would do differently (and better) if there was a next time. But there probably won't be that opportunity.

Next, a satin black base colour and I really should get on with the engine.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The use of a satin black base intrigues me. If the loco green is sprayed on at this stage, it is easier to mask off so that the satin black is then sprayed on the tender top and the chassis. Job done. With the loco, mask off the boiler leaving just the smokebox and cab roof exposed and spray both black.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I should add that when masking large surfaces as happens with 7mm scale models, I use newspaper in between strips of masking tape and sometimes kitchen tissue on its own held tightly up against a cab front. It's a left over from olden days when it was desirable to keep masking tape to the bare minimum. We benefit today from low-tack masking tape and very good primer paints.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Thirteen months on and I reopened the box to continue building the loco. I have tweaked the chassis, having discovered that a few items were not quite in the right place. Work still needs to be done but the more serious work is on the body.

The first task was to start on the beading on the splashers. This proved to be difficult as the idea is to solder the beading etches on and then file most of them away. Fortunately there are seven etches in the kit so after ruining the first one I decided on a different approach. The result is not exactly prototypical but if I do one a day I will retain sanity and the end result will be a lot more satisfying than not having any beading at all.

Other tasks include adding the three firebox bands. The front one has been soldered in place, two to go. As I am doing only one splasher bead a day I have addressed the cab interior, fitting the floor and drag beam, then the beading around the cab and the fall plate.

I then started to fettle the etches and castings that make up the back head and other cab fittings. The brass castings are very crisp and bright. The white metal pieces are OK but I probably should have replaced them just to make soldering a little less intimidating.

David’s drawings definitely need photographic support so I searched out some examples that match the actual locomotive, 5014. One of the best is from Masterpiece Models web site. Sadly the Lee Marsh version does not have a cab interior photo yet. By the way, Caerphilly Castle appears to be non standard.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
No. 5014 on 16th august 1952. Hawksworth Tender. Rectangular inside cylinder cover. Simple handgrab below cabside window (not 'L' shaped). Withdrawn February 1965 to Cashmores.
WEB Castle 5014.jpg

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry

I’ve got the inside cylinder cover right and the under cab side window rail will be “non L” when fitted but the Hawksworth tender is a bit of a problem so Rule 1 will apply and Swindon swapped the tender for a traditional Collett 4,000 gallon tender!

When I bought the kit it was going to be Sir Daniel Gooch but that model has been ordered from Lee Marsh so the loco became another frequent visitor from Old Oak Common. Tender swapping was common so that is that!

Thanks for the photo, I have another one with the Hawksworth tender, damn it!