1/32 Display of finescale 1:32 models at the 2017 AGM

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Thirtysecond said:
I think we should press for a display of finescale 1/32 models at the next AGM (2017 - Godmanchester). When we ran a finescale display a few years back it was a great success but none of the committee at the time seemed interested in following it up. New committee now - you never know. Centrepiece could be Bagshot station!!!!!

Eleven months have gone by since Derek declared that aim, and we are now just days away from his dream coming true.

- The New Committee has, as hoped, espoused this cause - with puzzlement on a few faces, but with resolve and without demur.

- The G1MRA 1:32 Finescale Group has roughly fifty email subscribers, and its website is up and running, and growing as fast as I can feed it. It has already brought G1MRA more in new subscription income than its total start-up cost.

- We got a mention in G1MRA Journal 255 that dented my doormat this morning, plus the Launch plugs in Journal 254 last July.

- The 1:32 display at the AGM is to be as long as a mainline coach, and it's going to be a beggar finding a tablecloth for it (tomorrow's job).

- The headline banner reads: 1:32 - Exploring the Possible and everything shown will be to that scale alone.

- The centrepiece will indeed be Bagshot Station, just as Derek proposed (no pressure, Pete) which will be flanked by Chris Tolhurst's King Arthurs and Peter Rogers's coaches.

- Lawrie Loveless will be bringing a selection of his own and his competitors' stunning rolling stock to confirm The Possible.

- We hope to borrow Cookie's tiny but gobsmacking Dungeness Siding, courtesy of it's present owner (Cliff Barker, the only commercial maker of 1:32 scale track parts).

- Fred Phipps, whose new 5 plank wagon kit is out around now, doesn't have transport to come in person. So he's arranged for his wagon kits to be there, and we hope to display customer's examples of his locomotives and possibly coaches.

While the commercial manufacturers who are lending display models have asked us to make clear that their models have been designed to run on 'ordinary' track, we will not be neglecting better wheels and track:

- I'm glad Simon Castens is bringing a ScaleOne32 turnout, because many people don't really 'get' Finescale until they put their hand on a wagon, run it over a crossing, and exclaim that they "didn't feel the bump".

- If I can get my extension lead PAT tested in time, I shall attempt to demonstrate wheel re-profiling on budget equipment. (By which I mean hundreds of pounds rather than thousands.)

Nearby, but expressly NOT part of our stand (because it's not 1:32 and it's not to Finescale standards *) I'm arranging a separate display of David Viewing's very Fine and meticulously Scale 1850s rolling stock, in etched brass and industrial 3-D printing.
(* 10mm, apart from his John Dale locomotives.)
That's the Progress to date, and I hope to come back to y'all soon with Requests for Help.

David

Last edited:

Simon

Flying Squad
That's great David, but I don't think you need to go on about "commercial imperatives", such things are in the domain of the individual manufacturers, Laurie Loveless included.

If some of them started putting their beautiful models on wheels that were worthy of them then who knows what might happen?

Let's not start being apologists for something which hampers the future potential in Gauge One, it wants sorting out, not protecting.

Simon

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Thanks Simon,
You've shown me that I've not been clear about what I meant, so I've gone back and re-written it.

For clarity, I don't believe that manufacturers have no option but to use what we've lightheartedly called "Pig Standard".
As you say, who knows what might fly, were it tried?​

What I meant is that it's important for visitors to the stand to realise that the commercially available built-up models on display have been designed to run on 'ordinary' track.

David

Last edited:

Simon

Flying Squad
Just a reminder for this Saturday:

14th October 2017 - AGM and Trade Show - Godmanchester

For the first time ever, this event is open to the public (not the actual AGM meeting itself)

Wood Green Animal Centre, Godmanchester. PE29 2NH.

Supported by the 16mm Association with Mwch Grumblyn, the Gauge 3 Association with 2 running tracks and the Gauge O Association with a display track. Not forgetting the Gauge 1 presence with Anglia Roads, Surrey Oval and GIMRA Yorkshire Group with Moordale display track.

The show opens at 10.30am and closes at 5pm.

Several WTers will be there and David 1/2d and Derek Pollard have organised a significant 1/32 modelling display, which Cookie and I are attending, amongst others.

I will bring a ScaleOne32 turnout whichI will be running stock through, plus various ongoing projects.

Amongst everything else I'm very much looking forward to meeting Pete Insole and seeing his wonderful station building as featured on WT.

If you want to take a look at Gauge One this is as good an opportunity as you will ever have had before:thumbs:

Simon

lankytank

Western Thunderer
Unfortunately, will not be able to attend - got another AGM in Southport & as I'm a committee member of that one it would be bad
form not to attend that one :rolleyes: :))

As ever, G1MRA seem unable to miss the dates that I've got something else on - haven't been able to get to a G1 jolly since mid 2016 - the 'management' seem to be in denial that other modelling scales exist......... Maybe 2018 will be better (though somehow I doubt it...... :mad:)

Enjoy the jollies - and if someone is taking a camera, well, you know the form............:thumbs: & a few words as to what I've missed, please.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Aarrrg that's so tempting and just down the A14 from here. But I fear I may come away with a seriously dented wallet, especially if Mr Phipps is there and partial to taking funds for a warship ;)

MD

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
- the 'management' seem to be in denial that other modelling scales exist..
Nah, it's much more sinister than that!

Larger-scale events have proliferated to the extent they even clash with each other, let alone other modelling scales. There are only so many dates in the year that cottage-industry Traders can manage, and only so much Customers' money swilling around. My feeling is that we need a new Business Model that doesn't depend so heavily on Shopping to provide the cash-flow.

Catch you another time :)

David

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Aarrrg that's so tempting and just down the A14 from here. But I fear I may come away with a seriously dented wallet, especially if Mr Phipps is there and partial to taking funds for a warship ;)
MD

Fred won't be there Mick so your wallet should be safe.
From that temptation anyway ;)

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
The bad news is that, since I started this thread, Fred is planning to come up after all. He and Bob Hunter are coming by train, with a few fully-finished goods vehicles in their hand luggage.
I'm absolutely delighted because (apart from Present Company) he's hardly known - yet!​

The good news is that he's only demonstrating, not Trading that day (or we'll sting him for a Trader Table), and I don't think he has any kits prepared.

My 12t wagons on Simons layout.JPG 13t wagon FP.JPG80041 and wagon.JPG

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Wow, what a grand day it was today!

I cannot thank David, Derek, Simon and Steve enough for inviting me and for all your kindness. Thanks as well to Tom for coming and keeping me company as well! I hope all you guys enjoyed the event just as much?

It was so good to meet and chat with many other nice folk there too, but I'm only sorry that I missed some and didn't manage to get out more often and have a closer look at all the other displays!

When I did sneak away for a few moments I turned and spotted some pretty awesome looking silverware glinting right across the arena from the direction whence I came! There were some very happy bunnies on the stand next door to Bagshot!

It has never ceased to amaze me what Chris and Sandra Tolhurst achieve (not forgetting Derek's assistance either!) in their pursuit of live steam perfection. I have frequently heard myself saying;

"No, surely not?" or "REALLY...?!"

A richly deserved trophy for TME..!

Pete.

adrian

Flying Squad
When I did sneak away for a few moments I turned and spotted some pretty awesome looking silverware glinting right across the arena from the direction whence I came! There were some very happy bunnies on the stand next door to Bagshot!

It has never ceased to amaze me what Chris and Sandra Tolhurst achieve (not forgetting Derek's assistance either!) in their pursuit of live steam perfection. I have frequently heard myself saying;

"No, surely not?" or "REALLY...?!"

A richly deserved trophy for TME..!
Photos please? For those of us not able to make the event.

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
Talking of photos, did anybody take any of the 3D printed Bury 0-4-0 loco? Being displayed by (I think) David Viewing. personally I would not have even considered a one-piece print including boiler, chimney, bar frames, buffers, handrails etc etc, and I'm not sure it would survive the first rough shunt, but it was a joy to behold. As were its wheels, which appeared to be perfect. I've expressed a strong interest in a gauge 3 version.
PS,
As a guest exhibitor, with a non gauge 1 layout, I received a welcoming attitude from all involved. And the catering was good, I'm sure most of us left a bit healthier than we usually do from model railway exhibitions.

Arty

Western Thunderer
Twas indeed a good show, especially for those of a G3 disposition.
Was good to talk to you Geoff and see Lea Sidings in the flesh.

Richard

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Talking of photos, did anybody take any of the 3D printed Bury 0-4-0 loco . . . being displayed by . . . David Viewing.

20171014_125900.jpg
It's eggshell-thin, but strong laser-sintered Nylon.

You are looking at just four components: the main print, a wheel sprue and two steel axles.

Next step is the cylinders and working valve gear, which will involve a crank axle.

Incidentally,
David Viewing (who won the John van Riemsdijk Award for published innovation) said that if ever a Finescale exhibition layout were to appear, he would replicate his long trains of 1850s 10mm scale G1MRA Standard vehicles in 1:32 Finescale.​

David

Simon

Flying Squad
A really nice day in the company of lots of nice people. No photographs taken I'm afraid, too busy talking!

Great to meet Pete and son, that building is just beautiful. Chris and Sandra's locomotives are just beautiful beyond comparison, only let down by the wheels, sorry:oops:

Fred and Bob Hunter turned up which was nice, I was running D6319 up and down through a point and Fred sold two kits for the loco during the day, which was great. Fred's open wagon is lovely and a superb bit of casting by CMA. 3D printing - who needs it:p

I spoke to loads of people, a good natter with Ken Martin from whom I bought quite a few parts for various wagon projects current and future. I also purchased a nice reversing lever/quadrant from Mercian for 28A.

Stayed with Cookie Saturday night and on Sunday morning he took me for a spin around Northampton Abbey grounds, we christened his new garden line later with a superb 30 minutes running of Kingswear Castle.

Percy1.jpg

Percy4.jpg
Percy2.jpg
Percy3.jpg
Another top weekend, thank you to David and Derek for arranging it all and thank you very much Steve for your company and hospitality:)

Simon

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Photos please? For those of us not able to make the event.
I'm as bad as Simon I'm afraid, despite taking a camera with an empty card and charged batteries, I didn't use it once :oops:
I did talk to an awful lot of people though, but that doesn't help really does it :D
Best I can do is offer a link to a post the Gauge One Facebook page so you can get an idea of what was there. Go to the main page (rather than the post linked) will show a few more photos from the day (you don't need to be a Facebook member to view as the group is public).

It was an excellent day, good to meet up with Peter and Tom and admire the Bagshot Station building, as well as catching up with old friends and new. The TME engines were stunning with the LSWR livery looking an absolute belter in the flesh, best of all there are only two in that livery meaning two people made the right choice and everybody else is just a bit jealous!

... and thank you very much Steve for your company and hospitality:)
Simon

You're welcome :) Thanks for recording the moment the Castle started a run around my line for the first time, hope you enjoyed running the wee green thing around the clubs track.

And Kingswear Castle has which wheel standard, please? David

Thank you for the invite and hospitality David / Derek, it was great to see my diorama again after selling it to Cliff. Its survived very well, if I had the space I think I would have tried to buy it back :)

The Castle is running the standard standard wheel standard. No option to change as it would no longer run around my track...(and I'm not stripping it down and rebuilding it again!).

Steve

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
I for one really enjoyed coming along and seeing all the wonders to see!
it has really wet my appetite and got me scratching my head wanting to get to grips with something I've pondered for a while.
It was great meeting the few people I spoke to with all their lovely items on display. Hopefully over the next few months I can slowly acquire all the information and research I need to have a go at scratch building my own little diesel loco much like my dad did with an old Tommy train (the one featured starting the "wren" thread.

hopefully with a bit of digging I can try find the basic bits like drawings, reference photos and then materials for starting my own version of the (already done Accucraft Baguley-Drewry G-scale).

So I guess it's thanks everyone for the inspiration and nudge!

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
I'm afraid I only took a handful of pics as well. Just to the right and left!

For some reason 70007 had turned and was presenting her posterior for posterity and Chris Tolhurst hid behind the handle of his trophy! Finally, I grabbed a couple of shots of a rather magnificent and handsomely glowing Warship!

SAM_4357.JPG SAM_4361.JPG SAM_4362.JPG SAM_4365.JPG

Pete.